Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2014 NFL thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Am in the USA at the moment. What a shambles.

I read that for 1st offence for steroids, it 4 week suspension. 2nd offence, 8 weeks. 3rd offence, season. How slack me thinks.

Then I read some turd Ray Rice was on camera punching his girlfriend, in a lift, knocks her out, drags her out of the lift and leaves her lying on the ground, walks off ranting and raving. Cops investigate but then decide he's a stand up guy, charges dropped. NFL: 2 week suspension, but can play pre season.

Man alive, you could probably kill 10 in a shooting rampage and then be back on the field after a couple of months here.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:37 am

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11291108/ray-rice-baltimore-ravens-made-biggest-mistake-my-life
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:37 am

So, the preseason starts with the Bills playing the Giants Monday morning, Australian time. Finally, some football, of sorts.
Yarra Falls End 

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:43 pm

Big news overnight from GB Wisconsin regarding No 4.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:51 pm

Yes, YFE, I saw. But you've given me an excuse to post a link:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11309498/brett-favre-number-retired-enter-packers-hall-fame-same-night

He will be one of only 6 Packers whose number are retired, joining the Minister of Defense from the 1997 SB-winning team.

Great news.

I have to say, I'm a little disappointed - I thought the announcement might be that he was coming out of retirement to help out Number 12. Laughing
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:52 pm

So, YFE - are you going over for the induction and, if so, will you be wearing your "12 = 3 times 4" t-shirt?
punkologist Aries

Barwick goals, the pies are home!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:45 am

Is there any hope at all for my Raiders? Can we at least get to .500?
Sportsbet has us as equal worst with the Jaguars at $151 for the superbowl and we are the least likely in the league to win our division at $26.

I thought after free agency and the draft that we had improved on last year, certainly better than the Jaguars.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:31 pm

punkologist wrote:
Is there any hope at all for my Raiders? Can we at least get to .500?
Sportsbet has us as equal worst with the Jaguars at $151 for the superbowl and we are the least likely in the league to win our division at $26.

I thought after free agency and the draft that we had improved on last year, certainly better than the Jaguars.

Also a long suffering Raiders fan Sad
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:00 am

The Raiders aren't traveling well in the preseason but perhaps they'll soften up the Seahawks in the last preseason game.

There is a change in free to air coverage this year. It's moved from 1/10 to 7 (on 7mate, I think). For those of you who would like a schedule showing local times here, the following link might assist: http://ussportsdownunder.com/2014-australian-nfl-tv-guide/

The season opener is on Friday morning, 5 September at 10.30. Green Bay at Seattle. Unfortunately, it isn't on free to air.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:19 pm

sorry for late notice, but I am trying to fill up an ESPN Fantasy Football League. Please let me know if you would like to join. Its a very basic league and we are noobs at Fantasy Football. The draft is autopick (you can set your preferences beforehand) and will happen on Monday.

Let me know if you want to join!
We had great fun with NBA Fantasy last season.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:35 am

Just an update. In fact, the season opener between Green Bay and Seattle will be shown FTA on 7mate. 10.30am next Friday. Could be a few briefs handed back in the Commercial List, I think....
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:41 pm

Finally got some time so thought I'd do a amateurs review of the conference division and the teams within them, starting with........

AFC North -
One definite contender in the Ravens and another up-and-coming team in the Bengals, the Steelers can trouble but not compete against the best while the Browns have a talented enough roster but are still missing key pieces to really start troubling quality teams.

1. Ravens - Flacco is an elite QB and with Ray Rice somehow only getting a 2 game suspension from the NFL Commissioner they have a really nice one - two punch. Add to that offensive pieces in Torrey Smith, Jacoby Jones and the evergreen Steve Smith and offensively their going to be hard to stop. Turning to their defense and you can see one of the best linebacking corps in the league in C.J.Mosley, Arthur Brown, Courtney Upshaw, and the QB killing Terrell Suggs. Definite contender.

2. Bengals - young talented team that could contend in the very near future but is being held back by youth and the mistakes that occur when you have a young team, plus their QB Andy Dalton teases but as of yet hasn't become the QB they need to really move them into that next tier of teams.

3. Steelers - if Big Ben goes down their in real trouble, with him their a mid tier team without him they could scrape the bottom of the barrel. They desperately need help at WR because if Lance Moore is your no.1 receiver and Darrius Heyward-Bey can occupy a roster spot you've got problems. A team in transition and going backwards while doing it.

4. Browns - I don't understand why their fans are so high on Manziel everything I've seen screams showy without substance, I'll come back to him later. They have a QB trio of Hoyer, Manziel, and Grossman. Hoyer is the starter, Manziel the heir apparent, and Grossman the elder statesman offering guidance. The loss of Josh Gordon for the year is devastating for their WR corps as it leaves an already weak WR group without their best player. The team as a whole is building but are still a ways from being a good team.

On Manziel, well this kid just plain bugs me, I'm probably being unfair but when I look at the crap Geno Smith received during his draft and is still receiving from the press given his perceived arrogance and selfish nature, which are both absolute bullshit as ts kid has done all the right things and worked his arse off since getting drafted, then you have Manziel who sulked his way through college football, made the draft all about him even though he wasn't even a top candidate or even the best QB in the draft, then has spent most of his time partying and who's QB play has been underwhelming. Plus his show dance is him rubbing his fingers together for the show me the money display. Neither QB will ever be anything other than serviceable at best but Smith has the far best character out of the two.

The Browns think they got their future franchise QB but I think they just gave their long suffering supporters a shot to the nuts.

Last edited by OEP on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:38 pm

AFC East -

A pretty weak division with only the Pariots being able to be considered a chance at the title, but personally I don't believe they've got the cattle to compete with the truly elite teams. The Jets have promise but a lot of holes whereas the Bills and Dolphins have a long way to go.

1. Patriots - Tom Brady is the obvious superstar for the team and a lock for Hall of Fame accolades once he retires. The problem is the rest of the team just isn't as talented, yes they got Darrelle Revis in the offseason but as a CB there's only so much influence he can apply to a game of football and Rob Gronkowski is to injury prone to be relied on for an entire season. Basically it's Brady or bust for this team which is a bad place to be because if he goes down so does their season.

2. Jets - the team has talent but still no where near enough to be anything more than a mid tier team. Neither Geno Smith nor Michael Vick have the ability to push them any higher. A team treading water.

3. Bills - E.J.Manual was drafted as their franchise QB and to date no one has lost their job for that decision, or more correctly for drafting him in the first round. Other than that they took Sammy Watkins in the last draft and while this kid has top 5 WR talent his youth and poor QB situation could stifle his growth and prevent the NFL world from really seeing what he's capable of. Plus he's already banged up (ribs) so that won't help the Bills. The rest of the team is pretty vanilla.

4. Dolphins - just not enough talent to really be anything others than a bottom team this year and for years to come. Tannehill/Moore, Moreno, Mike Wallace and Jarvis Landry won't strike fear into the opposition defenses anytime soon.

Last edited by OEP on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:06 am; edited 2 times in total
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:00 pm

AFC South -

Easily the weakest division in the the NFL. The Colts are a genuine contender but the separation between them and the other three teams is massive, huge, gigantic....you get my drift.

1. Colts - Andrew Luck is a phenomenal talent at QB and for the Colts fans to get Manning then Luck is just unfair, yes I know how hypocritical that is coming from a 49ers fan Laughing . The rest of the team both offensively and defensively is loaded, they improved their defensive line through free agency and have a lot of young talent developing. Offensively they have Luck at QB and the gracefully aging Reggie Wayne and younger Hakeem Nicks at WR with Dwayne Allen as the TE. The offensive line still has some issues as does their RB stable headed by the failing Trent Richardson who haas talent but can't seem to realize it. Either way there's enough talent here to be a true contender.

2-4. Texans / Titans / Jaguars - can't split them they all as bad as each other. One word to describe all three teams "dreadful", I was going to use two words but a kid may read this so I won't Wink .

Last edited by OEP on Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:24 pm

The real question OEP is how you rate the 49ers and Seattle. They're probably the two best teams in the NFL but they obviously can't play off in the Superbowl.

Also, think of something nice to say about Oakland - there are a few Raiders fans who look in from time to time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 2 of 32   

Jump to: