Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 2014 NFL thread

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I should also say, bm, thanks for mentioning the Detroit game at Atlanta - I'd not noticed that. Starts at 12.30am - no need to go to sleep at all tomorrow night!
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
OEP wrote:
Two of my fav's going at it again.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XDuyPxYyiuY

So, admit it, Joe wasn't really that good - he just got lucky. A couple of times.

Well, 4. Wink

And what's this shit about Montana being Jordanesc, I think what that meant was Jordan was Montanaesc.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:00 am

You won't find me disagreeing, OEP - I actually cannot stand basketball and, if I were Joe Cool, I'd be appalled to be compared to anyone who played such a pretend sport.

Meanwhile, some gripping games overnight and this morning - Detroit came back from 21 points down to pip Atlanta 22:21 at the post with a late field goal. I'm not sure about the merit of a compulsory "delay of game" penalty that the defence can't decline when there are a couple of seconds to go and the kicker has just missed the game-winning goal - then gets another shot and puts it through. I guess if this was in the NFC west I wouldn't mind so much but I'll be quite upset if this allows Detroit to take their division over Green Bay.

The Ravens just couldn't hold the Bengals out and lost 27:24 to a last minute TD. When Flacco was throwing those late hail-marys, he must have been cursing management's decision to let Boldin go to the 49ers. The Vikes beat Tampa Bay 19:13 in OT, Seattle just got over the Panthers 13:9, the Chiefs pumped the Rams 34:7, the Texans beat the Titans 30:16, the Dolphins accounted for the Jags 27:13, the Bills pumped the Jets 43:23(Smith was taken out of the game after going 2 for 8, including THREE interceptions - you'd think Michael Vick might start for them next game) and the Patriots punished the Bears with a 31:7 second quarter blitz (three Tom Brady td passes and a td- fumble return, plus a field goal - all up, the Pats took the ball into the end-zone 3 times inside a minute late in the first-half) to win 51:23. Once again, Cutler took home the elite salary, though, so all's good in Chicago.

In the later games, the Eagles and Cardinals are tied 7:7 at the half, the Browns lead the Raiders 9:6 at the half and late in the 2nd the Steelers have an 18-point buffer over the Colts (35:17), having scored 4 tds in the second (three passing tds from Big Ben and a 33 yard interception return for a td by William Gay). Looks like the Steelers will have one last shot at a long field goal to try to match the Pats 2nd quarter effort in their game.

Later, of course, we have the Main Event - Green Bay playing somebody.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:02 am

No. the Steelers decided to punt and the punt was blocked. So Luck has 28 seconds to go 61 yards with 2 time-outs.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:04 am

And now Luck has it on the Steelers' 9 yard line with 12 seconds to go. I wonder whether that will be the last time Ben is allowed to punt on a 4th down play?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:06 am

1st and 5 (goal), seven seconds to go in the first half, now.

No, they took the field goal because there was ultimately only 1 second left and they couldn't take the risk that they'd run out of time on a td attempt. So it's Steelers 35, Colts 20 at the half.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:19 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
The Ravens just couldn't hold the Bengals out and lost 27:24 to a last minute TD. When Flacco was throwing those late hail-marys, he must have been cursing management's decision to let Boldin go to the 49ers.

I thought that offensive pass interference call for the disallowed touchdown was pretty soft.

Quote:
The Vikes beat Tampa Bay 19:13 in OT,

Fumble return about 20 seconds in to OT, which has got to sting.

At this stage, apart from a relentless Peyton Manning and Tom Brady and their respective suspect defences, not seeing any standout teams yet this season, which is interesting in itself especially this far into a season.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:48 am

Yes, it was pretty soft but they usually call the defences for similarly soft holds, so I guess the call was the correct one (even though I don't like to see it).

I'm just totting up my wins/losses for the remaining games on the schedule. Putting aside the ones in progress and tonight (I am happy to call a Dallas win at home to Washington in tomorrow's game), I think the big winners might include Carolina (7 further wins), Cincinnati (7 further wins), Dallas (8 further wins), Denver (8 further wins, with a possible loss at New England next up), Green Bay (8 further wins - I swear I didn't apply any bias in favour of them but I accept that my judgement about the Pack might be generally impaired), Indiana 6 wins, New England 7 wins (assuming they beat Denver and possibly lose at Green Bay) and the Steelers (7 further wins), the 49ers (8 further wins). After the dust is settled on the Green Bay game, I will turn this into win/loss predictions for the NFL and playoff-position predictions. I will, of course, be completely wrong but at least there'll be something to debate. It would have been better for the discussion if I could have found it in my heart to see the 49ers going 2 and 6 for the rest of the season but I actually think they're a very good chance to win all their remaining games. Laughing

The Steelers now lead the Colts 42:20. I'm not watching the game, unfortunately, but can anyone comment on the competence of the Colts' defence - they've let Ben throw 5 tds and, although I rate him highly, he had only thrown 10 for the entire season before today?
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:39 am

Somebody better get the ice bath ready for Big Ben, he's on fire.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:46 am

The Eagles tried as hard as they could to get the Cards the win, and after much effort succeeded Wink
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:42 am

So, Ben scores a Steelers' record 6 tds to beat the Colts 51:34 and, as OEP points out, the Cards just got over the Eagles 24:20. Also - if it matters, the Browns beat the Raiders 23:13.

Meanwhile, the New Orleans defence is holding up pretty well today - it took Green Bay 5 plays and more than 2 minutes to go 80 yards for the first touchdown of the day (Rodgers to Cobb for a 70 yard TD). Of course, whether the Green Bay defence can stop Brees going for a TD at the other end every time he has the ball is a whole different question. Apparently, there were no defenders available in the draft last year at any of Green Bay's picks!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:57 am

And now Crosby kicks it 11 yards out of bounds on-side after the field goal, giving Brees possession at the Green Bay 46. Scary stuff. They obviously want the 'Aints to go ahead 14:10, so they can practice coming from behind.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:28 pm

So far there hasn't been a drive that hasn't been scored off. This could be a veeeeeeeery high scoring game.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:32 pm

I just realized when you abbreviate New Orleans defense it spells NO defense. Ironic.
OEP Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Is that the first game without a defensive stop for an entire half?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 9 of 32   

Jump to: