Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Higher insurance premiums for the overweight

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David, it's got nothing whatever to do with moral judgment; it's assessment of risk, pure and simple. Insurance companies could not operate at all without assessing risk.

When, for example, you drive a flash BMW, they look at the maximum payout they might have to make ($100,000, let's say) and add a bit on for that. Then they look at the overall record of BMW drivers accident risks (do they have more accidents per year than Mercedes drivers or Volvo drivers?) and add a bit more. Then they look at the age and sex of the driver, ask whether you have a record of car accidents, and finally look at the suburb where you live (as this has a big influence on the risk of theft). They come up with a number which reflects the overall risk they face of having to make a payout of a certain size and adjust the premium accordingly. In the case of a BMW, it's quite high, 'coz the risk is high. Its the same with every other car, every other driver. To do anything else would be madness because it would mean asking Toyota and Subaru and Hyundai drivers to pay extra just to keep the BMW premiums low, and once you do that, people driving Toyotas start dropping out of insurance altogether 'coz it's too expensive and not worth the cover they get.

It's the same with house insurance, business insurance, life insurance, every sort of insurance. With health insurance, we make special rules that insurance companies are not allowed to refuse you cover (with car insurance, they are free to walk away if they reckon you are just too bad a risk), and that they are free to vary premiums only by a small amount. This results in gross distortions, with low-risk people paying lots extra to insure high-risk people. Now with "bad luck risks" - people born with a medical issue, for example - we as a society choose to wear the extra cost. Proud Pies, for example, has posted here about having a condition which requires ongoing payouts and healthy people like you and I have to pay the extra to cover that. (Either via taxes or increased premiums, it makes no real difference which of the two.) That's fine: no decent person would object to it: I certainly don't, I fully support it. Any one of us here could have been born in PP's shoes, and something similar could happen to any one of us next year or next week.

However, there is a huge difference between supporting someone with a long-term illness which was just luck of the draw, and supporting some fat, lazy slob who eats McDonalds every day and does nothing whatever to maintain his health. Why the hell should you pay extra so that Mr Slob can wreck his health and your budget?

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:54 pm

The self righteous preaching to us all about what you should and should not have. Fat people now, next will be skinny people. Then Black People. This is the Nazi's all over again. What a disgrace, talk about dividing the country.

Type 2 Diabetes is a problem with Indigenous people so under this proposal they should pay more for their premiums. Where do you draw the line?

I cannot believe you are sticking up for Insurance companies that have done nothing but sucked money from generations of Australians and when they need help they give them stuff all back.

Tannin, start telling us how good the American health system is. Check your wallet before your pulse is the best way isn't it? What an utter disgrace this Country is turning into. It's all about me. No wonder the younger generation are so selfish.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:09 pm

^ Meaningless rantings. The vast majority of fat people are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise, and they need to pay their own way, not leech on the rest of society. Trying to pretend that sloth and personal neglect is the same thing as being Black is a disgusting tactic and you should be ashamed of it.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:56 pm

Tannin wrote:
The vast majority of fat people are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise...

What, you mean like all those disabled folk who can't walk because they sit in wheelchairs all day?

In the light of contemporary science, medicine and philosophy, good luck distinguishing with any moral precision between the "deserving" and "undeserving" obese.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:39 am

You might wanna check that stat, how many are in wheel chairs cos they are too fat to walk?

We are not that far behind the states.

I think it' would be awfully hard to put into practice. But the plan has merits.

Huh quite funny really, it's already in effect to a point. We had some super company hassling us about changing hubby's super to them, and a life insurance policy. They drove us nuts, ringing sending crap out. So I said ok, how much is my hubby worth? They gave me a sum, I said hmm, he has cancer, when can I collect?

They didn't ring back

I suppose they could make it like car insurance, if your drink driving, your policy is void!!

Memo to self, sober up before getting that busted toe fixed!

Last edited by think positive on Wed May 07, 2014 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:47 am

Tannin wrote:
David, it's got nothing whatever to do with moral judgment; it's assessment of risk, pure and simple. Insurance companies could not operate at all without assessing risk.

When, for example, you drive a flash BMW, they look at the maximum payout they might have to make ($100,000, let's say) and add a bit on for that. Then they look at the overall record of BMW drivers accident risks (do they have more accidents per year than Mercedes drivers or Volvo drivers?) and add a bit more. Then they look at the age and sex of the driver, ask whether you have a record of car accidents, and finally look at the suburb where you live (as this has a big influence on the risk of theft). They come up with a number which reflects the overall risk they face of having to make a payout of a certain size and adjust the premium accordingly. In the case of a BMW, it's quite high, 'coz the risk is high. Its the same with every other car, every other driver. To do anything else would be madness because it would mean asking Toyota and Subaru and Hyundai drivers to pay extra just to keep the BMW premiums low, and once you do that, people driving Toyotas start dropping out of insurance altogether 'coz it's too expensive and not worth the cover they get.

It's the same with house insurance, business insurance, life insurance, every sort of insurance. With health insurance, we make special rules that insurance companies are not allowed to refuse you cover (with car insurance, they are free to walk away if they reckon you are just too bad a risk), and that they are free to vary premiums only by a small amount. This results in gross distortions, with low-risk people paying lots extra to insure high-risk people. Now with "bad luck risks" - people born with a medical issue, for example - we as a society choose to wear the extra cost. Proud Pies, for example, has posted here about having a condition which requires ongoing payouts and healthy people like you and I have to pay the extra to cover that. (Either via taxes or increased premiums, it makes no real difference which of the two.) That's fine: no decent person would object to it: I certainly don't, I fully support it. Any one of us here could have been born in PP's shoes, and something similar could happen to any one of us next year or next week.

However, there is a huge difference between supporting someone with a long-term illness which was just luck of the draw, and supporting some fat, lazy slob who eats McDonalds every day and does nothing whatever to maintain his health. Why the hell should you pay extra so that Mr Slob can wreck his health and your budget?

As I said, I would be much less disturbed by this if it did simply come down to risk assessment. But the people with "bad luck risks", as you put it, are the norm, not the exception—at least, that's how it's been presented here. Brittle bones because you didn't drink enough milk? Not your fault. Too much competitive sport? Not your fault. Cancer risk because you live in the city as opposed to the country? Not your fault.

I don't think it's too hard to see what sets obesity, nicotine addiction and alcoholism apart here: they're all considered social "vices". They're also glibly referred to as "lifestyle choices", as if all that leads to these conditions is pure willfulness. That's what makes this proposal purely moralistic, not pragmatic.

No offence, but if you believe that addiction and physical or mental health degeneration somehow occur ex nihilo, you may as well believe in phrenology or star signs. It's unscientific and not becoming for 21st century people to speak this way.

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:47 am

Tannin wrote:
Wokko wrote:
If insurers can decide statistically to charge men higher premiums than women for car insurance, then I sure as hell aren't going into bat for the portly members of our community on this one. Additionally, the vast, vast majority of the overweight ARE making lifestyle choices that lead to that condition. That's not a judgement, it's just a fact.

^ This.

Culprit's attempt to muddle this up with genetic profiling makes no sense: your genetics are not a lifestyle choice. Smoking, bad diet, and lack of exercise are choices everyone is free to make, and no other person should have to pay for.

Oddly enough Wokko, they did that in over here. (I think one of the insurace companies was called Sheila's Wheels, click for annoying ad) the EU decided it was unfair etc, so banned the practice.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 9:42 am

Tannin wrote:
^ Meaningless rantings. The vast majority of fat people are fat because they eat too much and don't exercise, and they need to pay their own way, not leech on the rest of society. Trying to pretend that sloth and personal neglect is the same thing as being Black is a disgusting tactic and you should be ashamed of it.
You have no idea what effects who and why. You are a stooge to the big business push to exclude non perfect humans. You are a Nazi in the making. Enjoy.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:55 am

Culprit wrote:
Tannin wrote:
You have no idea what effects who and why. You are a stooge to the big business push to exclude non perfect humans. You are a Nazi in the making. Enjoy.

Horseshit. A private company can, outside of anti-discrimination laws, choose who they do business with and how they do that business. If statistics show that black people are a bigger risk, then tough shit unless the company can get an anti-discrimination exemption. Being fat doesn't put someone into a protected class, it's a valid metric to determine risk. It's why there's a push to make obesity a 'disability' so that someone fat is disabled and therefore a protected person (probably wouldn't help regarding health insurance, "pre exeisting condition"). As it stands though, I see nothing ethically or legally wrong with charging a higher premium to someone in a higher risk group for health insurance, be they addicts, the obese or even people who are already sick and likely to cost a lot in payouts. Insurance is a business first and foremost, medicare should be the safety net.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:30 pm

^ Don't you think there's something unethical in taking what's essentially an apartheid policy? What if, say, all white people were given an exemption but black people weren't? No issues there?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:18 pm

David wrote:
^ Don't you think there's something unethical in taking what's essentially an apartheid policy? What if, say, all white people were given an exemption but black people weren't? No issues there?

why are you making a health issue a race issue?

wokko is suggesting a health based system

ie: are you more likely to have a heart attack because your are overweight? answer yes, are you more likely to claim benefits for chemo because you have cancer? anser: yes.

same as car insurance, will it cost more to fix your car if it has preexsisting damage? answer: yes are you more likely to crash your car if you drink drive? ie yes

you are making this issue about something it clearly is not

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:31 pm

There are three aspects to "insurance" which are getting mixed together in this discussion.

One is private insurance. Yes, private companies can do what the hell they like within the law.

The second is insurance underwritten by the state at large.

The third refers to the overlap between them, particularly when private insurance is supported by government incentives. Moreover, insurance is also subject to the law of the state, and beyond that general public opinion, meaning it is never really a private island.

To further confuse the issue, business always strives to play down the benefit it gets from the state, and vice-versa.

So if you lot don't define which aspect of insurance you're talking about, then you'll keep talking at cross-purposes.

Also, people are trying to turn certain ways of doing things in certain areas (e.g., auto insurance), into general principles. This is enticing, but highly misleading. For a start, old practices might be wrong or out of date. But, more likely, they evolved as part of a system which makes sense only as a whole.

That is, citizens might be able to bear the risk of say auto insurance individually, but they wouldn't be able to if they also had to bear the risk of health insurance. In other words, you have to consider the overall balance of the system, not cherry pick certain aspects of it and arbitrarily make those aspects the guiding logic of the whole.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:21 pm

David wrote:

There are specific laws that prevent a company doing that, even in cases where there IS a statistical difference between races, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Equating being fat to race is at best an obfuscation of the issue. Being part of a racial group isn't a lifestyle choice (well, it can be but Bolt already got in trouble for going over that one) Laughing

A closer analogy to race would be if there was higher premiums for being born ugly. There's nothing you can do about it, it wasn't a choice and it has very little bearing on risk. Of course, no insurance company is changing premiums based on race or physical attractiveness so the point is moot.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:22 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

why are you making a health issue a race issue?

wokko is suggesting a health based system

ie: are you more likely to have a heart attack because your are overweight? answer yes, are you more likely to claim benefits for chemo because you have cancer? anser: yes.

same as car insurance, will it cost more to fix your car if it has preexsisting damage? answer: yes are you more likely to crash your car if you drink drive? ie yes

you are making this issue about something it clearly is not

My post was a direct reply to Wokko's; specifically, his claim that private insurance companies should be able to do as they please. To be clear, I'm not equating ethnicity with weight, but I am comparing them. My point is that certain forms of discrimination, however you dress them up, would be considered completely unacceptable by society at large. There is an expectation, then, that private insurance providers don't unfairly discriminate.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:35 pm

David wrote:

My post was a direct reply to Wokko's; specifically, his claim that private insurance companies should be able to do as they please. To be clear, I'm not equating ethnicity with weight, but I am comparing them. My point is that certain forms of discrimination, however you dress them up, would be considered completely unacceptable by society at large. There is an expectation, then, that private insurance providers don't unfairly discriminate.

That of course is relying on the premise that discrimination is an inherently bad thing. I get that you're an egalitarian and power to you on that regard, but the fact is that some discrimination is inevitable and not always a bad thing. When we discriminate based on nothing but primitive impulses then you may have a point but a business making a decision to charge more to a higher risk customer rather than charge more to everyone else is, in my opinion, positive discrimination. We already pay for that persons risk through medicare taxation, lets not make everyone pay for them twice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7   

Jump to: