Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood: First Term Report

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

swoop42 wrote:
Obviously over the preseason a lot of work was done on our defensive structure and as a result our defence has dramatically improved this season and the positive results are starting to show.

However with this increased defensive mindset our offence has taken a bit of a hit and I wouldn't be at all surprised if so far we are getting the ball inside 50 on average less times than last year.

That is one area we can improve on and will need to to beat the absolute cream but that is only half the problem as I still believe we don't take full advantage with the opportunities we do get.

Still this can be improved on as the year progresses and it's not all doom and gloom already as I'm pretty sure on the ratio of actual shots on goal for inside 50's we create we are close to if not the best in the competition.

You're dead right. I've tracked down that stat and also corrected my dodgy maths with the Av Inside 50s.

Scores from Inside 50s

1. Haw 1.80
2. Coll 1.88
3. Port 1.96
4. Geel 2.06
5. Adel 2.06
6. GWS 2.09
7. Ess 2.12

So we score as well as anybody from our inside 50s, and score well from marks inside 50s........it's just our accuracy that's abysmal and we don't need stats to tell us this. That's a dreadful indictment of goal kicking skill by the whole list; not just Cloke. To sit 18th in disposal efficiency and 18th in goal kicking accuracy means there's a lot of work to be done.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:38 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
Obviously over the preseason a lot of work was done on our defensive structure and as a result our defence has dramatically improved this season and the positive results are starting to show.

However with this increased defensive mindset our offence has taken a bit of a hit and I wouldn't be at all surprised if so far we are getting the ball inside 50 on average less times than last year.

That is one area we can improve on and will need to to beat the absolute cream but that is only half the problem as I still believe we don't take full advantage with the opportunities we do get.

Still this can be improved on as the year progresses and it's not all doom and gloom already as I'm pretty sure on the ratio of actual shots on goal for inside 50's we create we are close to if not the best in the competition.

You're dead right. I've tracked down that stat and also corrected my dodgy maths with the Av Inside 50s.

Scores from Inside 50s

1. Haw 1.80
2. Coll 1.88
3. Port 1.96
4. Geel 2.06
5. Adel 2.06
6. GWS 2.09
7. Ess 2.12

So we score as well as anybody from our inside 50s, and score well from marks inside 50s........it's just our accuracy that's abysmal and we don't need stats to tell us this. That's a dreadful indictment of goal kicking skill by the whole list; not just Cloke. To sit 18th in disposal efficiency and 18th in goal kicking accuracy means there's a lot of work to be done.

Neil as usual a great report thanks the time and effort you put into these reports mate.
I posted a post the other day without any stats just observations from a personal point of view.
I think our effiency issues stem from a 2 aspects.
Firstly we are trying a new game plan which requires some risks with quick ball movement
Secondly we are playing a young team most weeks and if I remember correctly 11 players under 20 to 25 games against Carlton.
I can forgive end understand these players making rookie errors but the plus side is they are gaining experience.
I don't put a lot of faith in effective disposals as teams who chip it around with dinky passes in and around there back half often have high effiencies where teams taking the game on have lower effiency.
Goal kicking is a completely diffent story I really cringe at times watching it and it will cost us games somewhere down the track hopefully not finals.
I think Cloke at the moment is something like 6-14 which in any one language is deplorable.
Anyways 5-2 and no major injuries (fingers crossed that continues) I'm one happy magpie.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:24 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Scores from Inside 50s

1. Haw 1.80
2. Coll 1.88
3. Port 1.96
4. Geel 2.06
5. Adel 2.06
6. GWS 2.09
7. Ess 2.12

Neil as usual a great report thanks the time and effort you put into these reports mate.
I posted a post the other day without any stats just observations from a personal point of view.
I think our effiency issues stem from a 2 aspects.
Firstly we are trying a new game plan which requires some risks with quick ball movement
Secondly we are playing a young team most weeks and if I remember correctly 11 players under 20 to 25 games against Carlton.
I can forgive end understand these players making rookie errors but the plus side is they are gaining experience.
I don't put a lot of faith in effective disposals as teams who chip it around with dinky passes in and around there back half often have high effiencies where teams taking the game on have lower effiency.
Goal kicking is a completely diffent story I really cringe at times watching it and it will cost us games somewhere down the track hopefully not finals.
I think Cloke at the moment is something like 6-14 which in any one language is deplorable.
Anyways 5-2 and no major injuries (fingers crossed that continues) I'm one happy magpie.

Yes qldmagpie67, I reckon your observations are spot on. As a matter of fact, I had a another look at the Carlton game yesterday and one passage of play struck me as being the embodiment of the new Buckley game plan.
I think it was the third quarter, and we had the ball on the back flank. There was a blur of handpasses, running and carrying, with the ball ending in Elliott's hands with a goal resulting. It was the first time I'd seen this much-practised drill come off in match conditions. All summer the team was running the ball in this fashion, the only difference being, at training the ball ended up in Cloke's or Reid's hands. It's fraught with danger this style of course, but it is exciting to watch and difficult to counter when we have possession. Like you, I think by July the game plan will have become second nature and that's when the score efficiency needs to reflect it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: