Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Next years recruiting becomes so important

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Defender wrote:
jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
Because I reckon we could get top dollar for Brown or Keefe, one of those 2 aren't going to get many opportunities at AFL level, I'd rather cash one in for a nice DP, I think we could find a decent enough stopper in the state leagues as depth.

Thank goodness you're not in our recruiting department.

Frost, Brown and Keeffe have all had serious knee injuries over the last few years, Reid looks like he'll miss 7-8 games with a calf.

The reason you'd get top $$$ for either Brown or Keeffe is because they're both very good footballers and given the run of injuries we've had over the last couple of years I'd much prefer to retain them as back up.

Next year we'll have 4 key defenders and that's without Reid, if White can hold down a key forward post (which looks likely ATM) then Reid will probably have to go back, switch hit at least, so that will make 5 KBs, we can only play 2, thank god you're not in our recruiting department.

Frost, Brown and Keeffe doesn't equal 4 by my count so your math is comparable to your logic.

As for White holding down a KPF post, I'd argue that we're seeing his best footy with both Witts and Grundy in the side so it's arguable if he's the 2nd or 3rd tall. I'd lean toward 3rd given he played his best footy at Sydney with both Tippett and Reid also playing.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:47 pm

Well I have Darcy Moore Written down for our 1st round Pick in Pencli
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:50 pm

4 with Moore, it even rhymes Smile

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:52 pm

mattys123 wrote:
Should we target Jonathan Patton?

He's the most likely of the 3 GWS tall forwards to leave and has been linked to several clubs already.

Cost Way too Much. Would you Trade Nathan Brown and a 2nd Round Pick for Patton?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:59 pm

Defender wrote:
4 with Moore, it even rhymes Smile

Can I borrow your crystal ball, need to get lotto...

I appreciate Moore is playing defense in the TAC at the moment but everything written about him suggests he's a forward. Irregardless, I wouldn't be pinning too many hopes on him having an impact in 2015, it'll be a bonus if he does. I certainly wouldn't be thinking we can therefore afford to offload either Brown or Keeffe.
innocent_criminal 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:01 pm

I think there will be tall forwards leaving GWS probably by 2016 given they have stockpiled ... I would be looking at the lesser lights like Stewart, Tomlinson, McCarthy may cost less and develop right around that time.

A small classy forward in the Leon/Krak/Dids mould would be perfect... not sure where the trees grow for harvesting those... but.. that bloke Matera up North would go ok.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:04 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
mattys123 wrote:

He's the most likely of the 3 GWS tall forwards to leave and has been linked to several clubs already.

Cost Way too Much. Would you Trade Nathan Brown and a 2nd Round Pick for Patton?

Agree Dave. More likely a player of Brown's quality and a 1st round pick.

Prefer to retain Brown and grab Moore (or another KPP prospect if nobody below us bids on Moore and we get him for a 2nd round pick) with our 1st round pick.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:08 pm

I am not so sure if I would like to Trade Nathan Brown and a 2nd Pick for Patton.
derkd 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:04 pm
Post subject: Re: Next years recruiting becomes so importantReply with quote

Darkstranger wrote:
Just thinking out a loud, reckon we need to really go after a big fish and a medium type running defender. We have a pretty young side so think we can take some chances for one year to forgo a early pick to pick up say a Frawley, I'm a on the right track?

isn't Scharenberg the medium running defender (191 cm and 91kgs) in question?
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:08 pm

derkd wrote:
Darkstranger wrote:
Just thinking out a loud, reckon we need to really go after a big fish and a medium type running defender. We have a pretty young side so think we can take some chances for one year to forgo a early pick to pick up say a Frawley, I'm a on the right track?

Certainly is.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:21 pm

derkd wrote:
Darkstranger wrote:

Yep, and Oxley (192/79) and Seedsman (190/87) fit the bill as well. Langdon (189/85) seems to be assuming the role. Marsh (193/87) and Karnezis (191/81) could even be developed into this role.

And Frawley would come via FA if we were to secure his services so no need to forgo an early draft pick.
derkd 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:23 pm

jackcass wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
mattys123 wrote:

Agree Dave. More likely a player of Brown's quality and a 1st round pick.

Prefer to retain Brown and grab Moore (or another KPP prospect if nobody below us bids on Moore and we get him for a 2nd round pick) with our 1st round pick.

I don't think anyone would give up Patton for Brown (frequently injured) and a second round pick. The guy has only just started playing and could be a complete gun.......Sadly GWS don't have the Fremantle Circa 2006 give away gold for rubbish recruiting staff lol

Source Wikipedia: Fremantle: Paul Medhurst and Pick #8 Collingwood: Chris Tarrant. Best trade ever Very Happy
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:40 am

Dave The Man wrote:
mattys123 wrote:

Are you serious? Here's a hint. We could offer Steele Sidebottom or Dayne Beams and a second round pick and GWS would tell us to GAGF.

Hell no on Frawley. You don't pay for key defenders. Frost and Keeffe have shown how easy it is to develop your own, so why pay for them?

Dangerfield's the only one I care about.

Az 

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 2:58 am

Definitely need to go for some big forwards this year. If Moore doesn't develop as we hoped, we'll be in need of another power forward. There's no such thing as having TOO many KPPs. They are money in the bank! If down the track we do have too many who are banging down the door to the seniors, we trade them for some high draft picks or players we're in need of and we are golden.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:38 am

[quote="woftam"][quote="derkd"][quote="Darkstranger"]Just thinking out a loud, reckon we need to really go after a big fish and a medium type running defender. We have a pretty young side so think we can take some chances for one year to forgo a early pick to pick up say a Frawley, I'm a on the right track?[/quote]

isn't Scharenberg the medium running defender (191 cm and 91kgs) in question?[/quote]

Certainly is.[/quote]

Don't know? Hasn't played yet, was thinking of an established player like a Broadbent from Port not another young kid, hence why I mentioned next years recruiting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: