Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Next years recruiting becomes so important

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:43 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

AN_Inkling wrote:
I reckon we do need another ruckman. Even if it's just a backup. It's the only hole in our list right now.

Given that the rest of our list is pretty well stocked, we chase the best available. We should have some cap space and need to be going hard after a quality player, doesn't matter where he plays.

Maybe in the draft we can target tall forwards for the future but not through trade or free agency, we need to use those to make us better now. Jolly or Ball types to take us to a flag. We will likely have Moore in the draft, so there's already one tall forward.

A few weeks ago I was 90% sure we'd be signing Gibbs in the off-season. He's exactly the player Buckley seems to want, seeing as we've brought in a number of his type over the last few years. Very good disposal, more outside than in, and can set you up off half back. I think the only thing stopping this from happening is that he's more likely to go back to SA.

I don't think Gibbs should be looked at too closely to be honest. Would cost too much money for someone who doesn't win his own ball. We don't need another midfielder. We have the best going around & some mighty fine kids waiting in the wings in Adams, Kennedy, Martin, Thomas etc. KPP should be a priority right now. Preferably in the draft & not overpaying for one in free agency.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:08 am

We don't need another KB so I doubt very much we'll go after Frawley, Dangerfield would be a massive get but other Vlc clubs could offer him a lot more than we could but I'm sure we'll make a play for him.

I think we might trade one of Brown-Keefe, we'll have to go after another KB if we do though, possibly a mature age state league player on the cheap for depth, As it stands now one of Keefe-Brown-Frost will miss out on senior selection (all being fit) and that's before we add Reid to the mix! all are to good for VFL level.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:15 am

Every year's recruiting is important.

But as for what is our most pressing need(s), I'd say...

- a mature-age ruckman (either trade or hit the state leagues. Todd Goldstein is available via Free Agency, but it's almost overkill).

- next generation key forward (Moore looks like he'll be our Father/Son selection, but we don't want to put all our eggs in one basket. Maybe trade
for another high pick in the draft, but how?)

- true crumbing small forward (less of an issue, with Elliott and maybe Martin presenting as viable alternative avenues to goal, but if the right guy at the right price turns up, you'd have to have a look)

And, of course, footskills!

Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:42 am

woftam wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
I reckon we do need another ruckman. Even if it's just a backup. It's the only hole in our list right now.

Given that the rest of our list is pretty well stocked, we chase the best available. We should have some cap space and need to be going hard after a quality player, doesn't matter where he plays.

Maybe in the draft we can target tall forwards for the future but not through trade or free agency, we need to use those to make us better now. Jolly or Ball types to take us to a flag. We will likely have Moore in the draft, so there's already one tall forward.

A few weeks ago I was 90% sure we'd be signing Gibbs in the off-season. He's exactly the player Buckley seems to want, seeing as we've brought in a number of his type over the last few years. Very good disposal, more outside than in, and can set you up off half back. I think the only thing stopping this from happening is that he's more likely to go back to SA.

I don't think Gibbs should be looked at too closely to be honest. Would cost too much money for someone who doesn't win his own ball. We don't need another midfielder. We have the best going around & some mighty fine kids waiting in the wings in Adams, Kennedy, Martin, Thomas etc. KPP should be a priority right now. Preferably in the draft & not overpaying for one in free agency.

Why should KPP be a priority? We have Cloke-Reid-Brown-White-Keefe-Frost with Marsh and Gault developing and Moore coming next year, if anything we have to many.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:16 am

woftam wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

I agree. This draft is supposed to be chock full of KPPs and you only have to look at the VFL side to appreciate how thin our depth is in this area. Brown, Marsh and Gault were our only genuine KPP backup available last Saturday and we're only missing Reid. It's not an immediate area of need given the age profile of our current players but you need to have the next level developing if you want to continually progress.

A young ruckman who can hone his craft in the VFL for a couple of years would also be handy. Depending on what happens with Gault at seasons end, maybe 2. A late ND or rookie pick would suffice.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:28 am

Defender wrote:
woftam wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Why should KPP be a priority? We have Cloke-Reid-Brown-White-Keefe-Frost with Marsh and Gault developing and Moore coming next year, if anything we have to many.

Can never have too many quality KPP types. You suggest we've got depth with Gault and Marsh but they're very much project players and there is no garantee they'll make it. Wouldn't want them in the seniors at the for tonights game.

And you earlier suggested trading Brown or Keeffe... Why? To then recruit a KPP replacement? I'm just not getting the logic. If you have the next level developing then you may be able to look at trading players out but not in our current situation.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:38 am

jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
woftam wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Can never have too many quality KPP types. You suggest we've got depth with Gault and Marsh but they're very much project players and there is no garantee they'll make it. Wouldn't want them in the seniors at the for tonights game.

And you earlier suggested trading Brown or Keeffe... Why? To then recruit a KPP replacement? I'm just not getting the logic. If you have the next level developing then you may be able to look at trading players out but not in our current situation.

Because I reckon we could get top dollar for Brown or Keefe, one of those 2 aren't going to get many opportunities at AFL level, I'd rather cash one in for a nice DP, I think we could find a decent enough stopper in the state leagues as depth and we'll have Moore.

You like this.

Last edited by Bob Sugar on Fri May 02, 2014 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
mattys123 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:40 am

Should we target Jonathan Patton?

He's the most likely of the 3 GWS tall forwards to leave and has been linked to several clubs already.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:45 am

mattys123 wrote:

He's the most likely of the 3 GWS tall forwards to leave and has been linked to several clubs already.

Injury prone isn't he? Dodgy knees iirc, and we'd have to trade for him.

You like this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:50 am

Defender wrote:
Because I reckon we could get top dollar for Brown or Keefe, one of those 2 aren't going to get many opportunities at AFL level, I'd rather cash one in for a nice DP, I think we could find a decent enough stopper in the state leagues as depth.

Thank goodness you're not in our recruiting department.

Frost, Brown and Keeffe have all had serious knee injuries over the last few years, Reid looks like he'll miss 7-8 games with a calf.

The reason you'd get top $$$ for either Brown or Keeffe is because they're both very good footballers and given the run of injuries we've had over the last couple of years I'd much prefer to retain them as back up.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:00 pm

mattys123 wrote:

What are you prepared to give up for him?

Darcy Moore (the first rounder)? Sidebottom? Those are the kinds of assets you have to part with to get a big, gun youngster like Patton.

Not that it wouldn't be worth the investment (Patton is a monster), but he ain't gonna come cheap...
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:13 pm

jackcass wrote:
Defender wrote:
Because I reckon we could get top dollar for Brown or Keefe, one of those 2 aren't going to get many opportunities at AFL level, I'd rather cash one in for a nice DP, I think we could find a decent enough stopper in the state leagues as depth.

Thank goodness you're not in our recruiting department.

Frost, Brown and Keeffe have all had serious knee injuries over the last few years, Reid looks like he'll miss 7-8 games with a calf.

The reason you'd get top $$$ for either Brown or Keeffe is because they're both very good footballers and given the run of injuries we've had over the last couple of years I'd much prefer to retain them as back up.

Next year we'll have 4 key defenders and that's without Reid, if White can hold down a key forward post (which looks likely ATM) then Reid will probably have to go back, switch hit at least, so that will make 5 KBs, we can only play 2, thank god you're not in our recruiting department.

You like this.
roar 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:14 pm

We are pretty well placed across the board so no major holes that need filling, however with KPP taking time to develop we may want to draft another tall, along with Moore.

Apart from some developing KPF stocks, I would love a Wanganeen type for our back pocket, and an exquisitely skilled forward pocket/flank.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:17 pm

Who or what is some developing KPF stocks he or she would love a Wanganeen type for our back pocket and an exquisitely skilled pocketflank?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:20 pm

You don't recruit based on how things look "at the moment" - you recruit to provide support for the principal players (and to challenge them to maintain their position in the pecking order) and to identify the next layer of talent to be developed. All it needs is for one of our remaining key backs to get a serious injury (Brown already has a shoulder to nurse this season) or for Frost to be unable to maintain his good early form (it is his first full year trying to play senior footy, don't forget) and we suddenly look like Footscray down back. Unless your team is really, really lucky with injuries (as ours mostly was in 2010), you win the thing with a squad of 30+ senior-capable, ready players.

If there isn't a hard luck story about players just missing out on selection week to week, there's something seriously wrong with the list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: