Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

No Collingwood players in the revised team of the century.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:33 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

How should I know how he compare to Salmon does.
King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:52 pm

All it is, is 3 men with an opinion.
IMO it is only worthwhile going through an exercise like this if the eligibility is only for those that hadn't finished their careers when the original side was picked in 1996.
Including Simon Madden who retired in 1992, is an attempt at re-writing history.

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:55 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Just noticed that Madden is listed as a forward. How does he compare to Salmon? Stats are very similar. I'd have been less surprised to see the latter included, but then I actually saw him play Wink.

I'd say out Madden, in Daicos. A real forward pocket. I don't think he was necessarily our greatest player, but he's the one that fits into the team.

Madden got in at Bretetons insistence.

This thing has no official status By the way which makes it all the more insulting. The AFL should make an official public statement saying that this is just a puff piece and means nothing.

If I was Haydn Buntons grandson I'd be really p1ssed off!

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:57 pm

King Monkey wrote:

Including Simon Madden who retired in 1992, is an attempt at re-writing history.

Great point. What's changed for Madden now to be selected?

Who named the original team by the way, was that just the Herald Sun too?

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:02 pm

Linking two threads if eddie's the most powerful man in the afl how come no CFC players in the toc?
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Let's see that team of spuds beat this team

B: Harold Rumney, Jack Regan, Syd Coventry (c)
HB: Billy Picken, Albert Collier, Nathan Buckley
C: Thorold Merrett, Bob Rose, Darren Millane
HF: Des Fothergill, Murray Weideman, Dick Lee
F: Anthony Rocca, Gordon Coventry, Peter Daicos
Foll: Len Thompson, Des Tuddenham, Scott Pendlbury
Int: Dane Swan, Wayne Richardson, Scott Burns, Gavin Brown
Emergencies: Tony Shaw, Sav Rocca, Damien Monkhurst, Harry Collier
Coach: Jock McHale
Assistant Coach: Leigh Matthews
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:31 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Just noticed that Madden is listed as a forward. How does he compare to Salmon? Stats are very similar. I'd have been less surprised to see the latter included, but then I actually saw him play Wink.

I'd say out Madden, in Daicos. A real forward pocket. I don't think he was necessarily our greatest player, but he's the one that fits into the team.

madden was in as second ruck, changing forward pocket. And he was a very good ruckman.

Joeboy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:33 pm
Post subject: no collingwood in revised team of the centuryReply with quote

i,ve always thought royce hart a better chf than carey but in my opinion the best centre half forward since the fiftys is hall of fame star barry robran by a mile
Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:50 pm

I'm curious as to how many games Robbo, Ando and Brereton saw of Jack Dyer, Big Nick and Hayden Bunton to make an informed opinion to oversee their omissions from the team of the century.

And I'm more than a little surprised Robbo didn't manage to find a spot for Hird this time but they did squeeze another bomber in Madden in the side despite him not making the cut when the side was actually picked in the first place.

Still a total wank, as the initial side was, and if you get wound up over this it means you've played right into Robbo and Andos (the only journalist who has Robbo covered for drunkenness) hands, because a reaction is all they're after doing rubbish like this.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:51 pm

stui magpie wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

madden was in as second ruck, changing forward pocket. And he was a very good ruckman.

So was the big fish. But that's beside the point. The best ruckman ever, needs a backup? No way. Farmer can ruck on his own with part-timers pinch hitting. If Jolly could do it so can he. Lockett's not going to let Madden rest in his 50 anyway, it's already stretching it to suggest he'd accept Ablett on the field and Coleman on the bench.

No, this team needs the best small forward ever to play the game (ok, maybe a duel between he and Leigh) in the pocket. Come on down, Peter Daicos.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:56 pm

Why the HELL would anyone take anything seriously that Robbo writes? Evil or Very Mad

What qualifies that drunk to think he can even pick the team of the century. And WHY does it need to be revised? (other than including a Collingwood player or three). But seriously Jack Dyer was a legend. Hadyn Bunton won three Brownlows. And these morons want to drop them from their team? Confused Rolling Eyes

Robbo is chief football writer for the Herald Sun - says it ALL really.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:22 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
What do we think about Simon Madden? I may be too young, but I would never have even thought of him as close to selection. Maybe it's just that ruck is the weakest position? I can understand Silvagni (though I'm sure he'll be replaced by Matty Scarlett one day Rolling Eyes ), but Madden genuinely has me scratching my head. Maybe I just don't know my history well enough?

They considered Scarlett but noted that he made his name after becoming a loose man-type defender.

Madden kicked a tonne of goals (575 vs TravC at 357 thus far) and was regarded as a great tap ruck man and good overhead mark. 3x All Oz, Norm Smith, Simpson Medal.
Ironically he was named only 5th best Essendon player of all time behind Reynolds, Coleman, Hird, Hutchison when the list was created. The first two of these made the official Team of the Century.
Madden's career was also over already when the original TOC was created in 1996, so its not like he has improved since to warrant inclusion now.

Robbo appeared to have a strong influence as a Bomber supporter and nominator of Madden to come in over Nicholls.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:40 pm

^^I really don't know too much about Madden. I had thought that Salmon would have been the better forward and Madden the better ruck. On the stats they're pretty even though, for both hit outs and goals. Salmon does have a better goal average, which would have declined when he mostly played ruck at Hawthorn.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:52 am

collie dog wrote:
Why the HELL would anyone take anything seriously that Robbo writes? Evil or Very Mad

What qualifies that drunk to think he can even pick the team of the century. And WHY does it need to be revised? (other than including a Collingwood player or three). But seriously Jack Dyer was a legend. Hadyn Bunton won three Brownlows. And these morons want to drop them from their team? Confused Rolling Eyes

Robbo is chief football writer for the Herald Sun - says it ALL really.

SPOT ON I heard fatboy robbo on radio the other day, he sounded like some uncouth loudmouth, uneducated bogan moron. He drops all his Gs, you know, somthin, nothin, and rambles on like a total dickhead. If this prick had half a brain, he would at least pick Len Thompson for ruck, the finest ruckman our Pies have ever had. who cares what the bald headed goose thinks, he writes for the HUN, that says it all folks. Exclamation Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
MattyD 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:07 am

Laughing

I didn't think those losers could lose any more credibility, but I was wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: