Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

New Rules.......for Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:48 pm
Post subject: New Rules.......for CollingwoodReply with quote

Some things never change. We can get a new AFL Football Ops Manager, a new Umpires' Coach and Umpire Liason person and yet nothing changes; every week sees a new interpretation of the rules with no prior warning to the clubs, the players, the media or the fans.

It was obvious that new focus was placed on taggers last week. The tagger only had to think about making a block and the whistle would blow.....take a bow Razor Ray.

I hear many media people talking about the new interpretation on the weekend. Many referred to the rule of not being able to turn one's back on play. "Macaffer turned his back on play and so that's why the free kick was paid." I'm paraphrasing Leigh Matthews here, but where is the rule that says anything about turning one's back on play? Surely the umpires and their advisors can't just make up rules? After Macaffer blanketed Cotchin, we heard from the umpires that players can only be free-kicked if they infringe, that is illegally block or hold. If Macaffer or any other tagger, turns his back on play and makes contact with the opposing player, then sure, a free kick should be paid, just as it should to Travis Cloke who is blocked, chopped and held at least ten times every game.

How is it that a new interpretation can suddenly appear without prior notification?

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:15 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What amazes me is yes they clearly changed their interpretation for tagging mids - and then did nothing about what was happening to Trav. He was held onto with a full wrap around several times when the ball was delivered and nothing paid.
Some of the midfielders free kicks were softer than what we saw last year and the funny thing was that while it cost us a few goals it seemed to knock them around more than us in the scheme of things.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:20 pm

There always been Anti-Pie Rules by the AFL
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:21 pm

A long time ago, I remember Collingwood's Adamson playing on Peter Hudson from Hawthorn and he spent most of the game minding Hudson with his back to the play. Hudson still kicked a few but we won the game!!
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:25 pm

MJ23 wrote:
What amazes me is yes they clearly changed their interpretation for tagging mids - and then did nothing about what was happening to Trav. He was held onto with a full wrap around several times when the ball was delivered and nothing paid.
Some of the midfielders free kicks were softer than what we saw last year and the funny thing was that while it cost us a few goals it seemed to knock them around more than us in the scheme of things.

I think it contributed to their early burst. They got 2 or 3 goals almost as a direct result. After quarter time, either the players adjusted, or the umps eased up a bit and the game was back to being played on its own merits.

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:32 pm

Pendles also got a free for a turn the back holding
MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:43 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
MJ23 wrote:

I think it contributed to their early burst. They got 2 or 3 goals almost as a direct result. After quarter time, either the players adjusted, or the umps eased up a bit and the game was back to being played on its own merits.

Yeah those are the goals I was talking about. That and a goal in the third after a bullshit Jobe free up the ground.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:46 pm

Interestingly it didn't seem to affect Macaffer. He only gave away 1 free and kept Watson down to 19 disposals.
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:59 pm

Firstly, Razor Ray is a disgrace. He over umpired the game by a high degree especially considering that the AFL are promoting a slight relation of interpretation. I also get the impression that when a team is under duress he is more inclined to give a free kick against this team and as a result compounding the issues. Soft frees were given both ways. It adds to the frustration for all concerned and is unhealthy imo.

The video review of the Cloke goal is contrary to the way the cameras are supposed to be used. If the Field Umpire, Goal Umpire or boundary umpire did not see the touch then it is a goal. End of storey. Since when do umpires review a decision using field cameras due to the protestations of the opposition players. It it continues like this the game will stall and will take 4 hours to complete.

If the AFL is fair dinkum about getting it right they should review the controversial decisions publically and direct their umpiring staff and clubs according so that all are in full knowledge of what is expected. This stands for the remainder of the season without exception.

I go to the games so as to get involved and enjoy the game (irrespective of the final result - but a win is a big help). I don't go to feel frustrated and alienated but stupid little men like Razor Ray who thinks he is the star of the show. He is doing his job well when we do not notice him but maintains good control of the game.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:01 pm

Yeh and that 50m penalty against Swan playing on when considering the noise in the stadium was just a bad decision. As I said above, it was all about Ray.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:31 pm

^ Dumb complaints, Member. How can you sit there criticising Chamberlin when any fair-minded person admits that he was clearly the best player on the ground and a dead-set cert to get the three Brownlow votes?
Member 7167 Leo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:40 pm

Tannin wrote:
^ Dumb complaints, Member. How can you sit there criticising Chamberlin when any fair-minded person admits that he was clearly the best player on the ground and a dead-set cert to get the three Brownlow votes?

I concede - Good point Tannin.

3 Votes Chamberlin.
2 Votes Chamberlin.
1 Vote Watson.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:49 pm

Hmmmm ... you are a hard man, Member. I reckon Chamberlin was a bit stiff to miss out on the 1 vote, but OK, let it stand. Smile
MattyD 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:59 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
Firstly, Razor Ray is a disgrace. He over umpired the game by a high degree especially considering that the AFL are promoting a slight relation of interpretation. I also get the impression that when a team is under duress he is more inclined to give a free kick against this team and as a result compounding the issues. Soft frees were given both ways. It adds to the frustration for all concerned and is unhealthy imo.

The video review of the Cloke goal is contrary to the way the cameras are supposed to be used. If the Field Umpire, Goal Umpire or boundary umpire did not see the touch then it is a goal. End of storey. Since when do umpires review a decision using field cameras due to the protestations of the opposition players. It it continues like this the game will stall and will take 4 hours to complete.

I go to the games so as to get involved and enjoy the game (irrespective of the final result - but a win is a big help). I don't go to feel frustrated and alienated but stupid little men like Razor Ray who thinks he is the star of the show. He is doing his job well when we do not notice him but maintains good control of the game.

This is the 'Collingwood effect'. I'm sure I can remember plenty of games where players have said they touched the ball and all the umpires on the ground have said, "no, it's a goal," and that was that.

Another new interpretation - and another that negatively affected Collingwood.

Just like the Macaffer tagging.

When will we see a rule change that affects Collingwood positively?

And the sign of good umpiring is when you don't notice it, which happens rarely.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:10 pm

Get over it ... what will be will be. We'll smash ém all no matter what.
I love they all hate us... we can still take it... we will take it!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: