Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our best ruck mix

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Our best ruck mix
Witts & Grundy
76%
 76%  [ 32 ]
Witts & part-timer
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Grundy & part-timer
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
Hudson & part-timer or Witts/Grundy
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 42

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupied wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
mattys123 wrote:
If we are contending for a flag this year then the answer is Grundy and a part timer, but long term the answer is Witts and Grundy.

The problem is that Witts and Grundy as of yet don't impact the game enough when they aren't in the ruck, but that will hopefully improve over time.

The other problem is that we don't really have a part time ruck either, White is a terrible ruckman, and it takes him out of that forward line and ruins his influence on the game.

I hope Witts and Grundy play together 15 + times this year, because they are the future.

Very Well said but I doubt Grundy and Part-Timer could lead us to a Flag.

When Grundy gets to around 50-70 Games then it could be Possible.

Agree play Witts and Grundy together as much as possible

Grundy and Witts won't lead us to a flag either, at least not this year. Neither are potent enough as a resting forward yet.

So we wont be winning a Flag this season then

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:18 pm

No really, it's true.
rand corp 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:21 pm

To me Grundy and Witts are easily out best ruck combination if you look at it in terms of purely the best potential outcomes in the ruck only. Its when you start to factor in how that impacts on set ups, match ups and outcomes in other parts of the ground that it get more difficult.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:02 pm

^^Definitely. Over the season we need to find out how good they are in their various positions. Good enough to do without the extra runner? Good enough to play Reid in defense, not forward? Good enough to force one of Frost, White or Maxwell out of the team (with a full list, one of these would have to go)?

It will evolve over the season, but it seems the current thinking is to play Grundy and a part-timer (White and maybe Keeffe). That could change if the form of Witts and Grundy is irresistible.

woftam Gemini

I used to be undecided, but now I'm not so sure.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:17 pm

If they could both have some impact in the forward line then Witts & Grundy combo would be a no brainer every week. But they will need time before they can do that. In the mean time we will need to mix it up a bit with Reid coming back.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Stupied wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
mattys123 wrote:
If we are contending for a flag this year then the answer is Grundy and a part timer, but long term the answer is Witts and Grundy.

The problem is that Witts and Grundy as of yet don't impact the game enough when they aren't in the ruck, but that will hopefully improve over time.

The other problem is that we don't really have a part time ruck either, White is a terrible ruckman, and it takes him out of that forward line and ruins his influence on the game.

I hope Witts and Grundy play together 15 + times this year, because they are the future.

Very Well said but I doubt Grundy and Part-Timer could lead us to a Flag.

When Grundy gets to around 50-70 Games then it could be Possible.

Agree play Witts and Grundy together as much as possible

Grundy and Witts won't lead us to a flag either, at least not this year. Neither are potent enough as a resting forward yet.

So we wont be winning a Flag this season then

It's all a matter of opinion/prediction/perception etc DTM but I too don't think we'll win it this year. My prediction is that we will be cherry ripe in 2016.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:21 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Tyke wrote:
If it ain't broke..

But we will need to change it. Reid is on the way back. And, while it has worked adequately so far in the season, is it our best option for finals?

I've been a big advocate of Reid playing forward as he's our only other contested mark option, along with Cloke, and could be very damaging.

However, one thought I had was this (and it's massively harsh on Maxwell given his form, and for that reason probably won't happen): play Reid in defense, so that Grundy and Witts can both play with one resting forward. But don't play Reid as the second tall, that will be Frost. Play him as the spare in Maxwell's role.

I think he's born for this role. Less wear and tear on his body (those stick legs seem to be hurt in some way every game), and releases him to be a very dangerous rebound player with his penetrative kicking. He reads the ball just as well as Maxy and if the opposition decided to man him up, so what? He can take on an opponent no problem. So while I'd still favour one ruck and Reid forward, this would be my option if Reid played in defense.

Still 17 weeks till finals and it's way too early to start planning the team that'll represent the Pies should we make it.

As for Reid assuming Maxy's sweeper role, I actually think Frost's speed, agility, and attack on the ball/player makes him a more attractive option to take over from Maxy when the time comes. Appreciate Reid's marking and reading of the play are strengths but not sure Frost won't develop further in those areas as he gains more confidence.

I'm also not convinced we can't have Witts/Grundy-Cloke-White-Reid all playing forward, particularly if you factor in some creative use of the interchange bench. Would allow the 3 KPF to get up the ground more and definitely stretch defences.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:44 pm

I don't think Frost's significantly quicker than Reid and he's not shown a great deal of marking ability as yet. Though the number one reason I'd have Reid in the role is his quality disposal, and that's something Frost doesn't have. I also think Frost, given his more aggressive nature, is better suited to playing on a man.I think, having him and Brown as the blue collar types, and Reid as the floating rebounder, could be a really good combination.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Play both Witts and Grundy to offer competition in the hitouts and contests around the stoppages. They will continue to improve with their work here and around the ground. The other tall players in the team to get a game with this starting point from here on imo. Base the team around these two ruckmen operating in tandem. Their effort and physical presence around the stoppages is already impressive and sure to improve with time.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:10 pm

Thompson & Jenkins

Thompson & Heard

Courtesy of Magpie Greg uploading this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7UxJFJIEp0

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:57 pm

Thommo and Bob were both big buggers, they'd be tall enough to play ruck these days, whereas old Jerker was a more munckinly 193cm.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:34 pm

uncanny wrote:
Play both Witts and Grundy to offer competition in the hitouts and contests around the stoppages. They will continue to improve with their work here and around the ground. The other tall players in the team to get a game with this starting point from here on imo. Base the team around these two ruckmen operating in tandem. Their effort and physical presence around the stoppages is already impressive and sure to improve with time.

I agree that this will be the future. But if we assume that we're challenging for a flag this year (the premise of the thread), development should not be given too much weight, at least during and leading into finals. We need the best combination, right now. The question will be whether two young rucks learning their trade is better than one ruck and another more AFL ready tall.

Last edited by AN_Inkling on Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:39 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I don't think Frost's significantly quicker than Reid and he's not shown a great deal of marking ability as yet. Though the number one reason I'd have Reid in the role is his quality disposal, and that's something Frost doesn't have. I also think Frost, given his more aggressive nature, is better suited to playing on a man.I think, having him and Brown as the blue collar types, and Reid as the floating rebounder, could be a really good combination.

We'll just have to wait and see how Frost develops won't we but I'm bullish about his potential to the point I think he's actually ahead of where Reid was at the same stage of his career.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Once Reid returns to the forward line, I reckon our best ruck combination will be Grundy and White.

Witts is still a work in progress but should be in our best 22 next season.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:11 am

mattys123 wrote:

given that goldsack has the ability to apply the defensicve pressure of about 3 players at the moment, we could play 5 KP forwards atm so long as Goldy is there with them.

He is a total beast! he is protecting Witts atm in my opinion because without Goldsack, Witts' defensive failure to cover ground would be more exposed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: