Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Our best ruck mix

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Our best ruck mix
Witts & Grundy
76%
 76%  [ 32 ]
Witts & part-timer
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Grundy & part-timer
21%
 21%  [ 9 ]
Hudson & part-timer or Witts/Grundy
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 42

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^
Thats the exciting part though.
After a developing year the output and workload these blokes could provide could possibly make them impossible to leave out. Both are incredibly agile for big Men and this combination with them playing to their potential would be unmatched.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:27 pm

MJ23 wrote:
^
Thats the exciting part though.
After a developing year the output and workload these blokes could provide could possibly make them impossible to leave out. Both are incredibly agile for big Men and this combination with them playing to their potential would be unmatched.

Agree, has the Potential to be the Best Ruck Combo in the Comp in 3 years

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:06 pm

Bucks on Talking Footy says that the plan is for Reid to play forward when he returns. That could change based on injury or on Witts and Grundy playing so well that they can't be dropped.

To me, it looks as if it's more likely that Reid will play forward than not. Which means we will play one of Grundy and Witts, not both.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm pretty certain that with a full list of kp players to choose from our preferred option is to play one genuine ruckman with Reid forward.

I actually wonder if it's possible that all of Cloke, Reid, White, Keeffe, Brown, Frost and a single ruckman could be in the same team?

My thinking is that with the versatility of Reid, White and Keeffe in being able to play two roles, Cloke's aerobic capacity and my belief that Frost has the mobility to play on smaller types it could be possible.

It would give us great ability to throw the structure of our team around should the situation require it.

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:44 pm

Grundy and Witts wil physically punish oppositions for the next decade.

Get the hell out of the way when they come through hard on the lead.

Cloke, Reid, White and Grundy can play in the one forward line if Witts is in the ruck.

When Witts is not in the ruck, he can come off.

Leave Frost and Keefe back. Not sure about Nathan Brown....

mattys123 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:48 pm

If we are contending for a flag this year then the answer is Grundy and a part timer, but long term the answer is Witts and Grundy.

The problem is that Witts and Grundy as of yet don't impact the game enough when they aren't in the ruck, but that will hopefully improve over time.

The other problem is that we don't really have a part time ruck either, White is a terrible ruckman, and it takes him out of that forward line and ruins his influence on the game.

I hope Witts and Grundy play together 15 + times this year, because they are the future.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Definitely agree that Witts and Grundy should play together as much as possible during the year. It's at finals time where tough decisions will be made. I suspect the thinking right now is that it's Grundy and a part-timer. It's up to Witts to convince the selectors otherwise.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:56 pm

mattys123 wrote:
If we are contending for a flag this year then the answer is Grundy and a part timer, but long term the answer is Witts and Grundy.

The problem is that Witts and Grundy as of yet don't impact the game enough when they aren't in the ruck, but that will hopefully improve over time.

The other problem is that we don't really have a part time ruck either, White is a terrible ruckman, and it takes him out of that forward line and ruins his influence on the game.

I hope Witts and Grundy play together 15 + times this year, because they are the future.

And Brown was no superstar in the ruck either. White is serviceable enough for the 15-20% game time he will be needed for, and he will still be a more dangerous prospect going forward than a resting Grundy or Witts will be. In a few years, I'm sure the status quo will be different.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:50 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
I think it's a difficult one. A ruck and a part-timer or very mobile second ruck is, for me, clearly the best structure. We have good options for the part-timer in White or maybe Keeffe. But are Witts or Grundy ready to ruck 85% of the game at the level required? Grundy did it quite well last year, but it's still a big ask.

In the end, the deciding factor for me is Reid. If he's playing forward, we can't play Witts and Grundy. A forward line of Cloke, Reid, White, Grundy/Witts is not going to work. White is looking too good to drop, so we're left with playing one of Grundy or Witts, not both.

If Reid is in defense then we have Cloke, White Witts/Grundy up forward. No problem. It does however mean that Keeffe and Frost are both likely out of the team, with Brown and Reid our key defenders (maybe Frost could take Maxwell's spot as the floating medium/tall).

Those to me are the two options. Play one of Grundy or Witts and have Reid forward. Or play them both and have Reid in defense.

He played that role once against Hawthorn in 2011. He had about 35 possessions and was best on ground.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:59 pm

^^Reid? As I said in another post, if he's not playing forward, I'd love to see him in the "spare man" role. I think he could be one of the best in the comp, given his intercept marking ability and his quality disposal. It would push Maxwell out of the team, and that's tough, but it does allow us to play Grundy and Witts, as well as Brown, Frost and Reid.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:14 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^Reid? As I said in another post, if he's not playing forward, I'd love to see him in the "spare man" role. I think he could be one of the best in the comp, given his intercept marking ability and his quality disposal. It would push Maxwell out of the team, and that's tough, but it does allow us to play Grundy and Witts, as well as Brown, Frost and Reid.

Yeah, sorry, I quoted the wrong post. Yes, he played the spare man against the Hawks in 2011 and absolutely towelled them up.

The Hawks were playing Birchall loose at their end and we got WAY more value out of Reid, which is quite a compliment considering how damaging Birchall can be.

He was just cutting off everything and launching attacks with his "3 iron" kicks.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:49 am

mattys123 wrote:

Very Well said but I doubt Grundy and Part-Timer could lead us to a Flag.

When Grundy get’s to around 50-70 Games then it could be Possible.

Agree play Witts and Grundy together as much as possible

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:06 am

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:

Yeah, sorry, I quoted the wrong post. Yes, he played the spare man against the Hawks in 2011 and absolutely towelled them up.

The Hawks were playing Birchall loose at their end and we got WAY more value out of Reid, which is quite a compliment considering how damaging Birchall can be.

He was just cutting off everything and launching attacks with his "3 iron" kicks.

Yeah, remember that game. Some might see it as a waste of Reid's talents, but I think it's the ideal role for him as long as we have two other quality tall backs.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:15 am

Dave The Man wrote:
mattys123 wrote:

Very Well said but I doubt Grundy and Part-Timer could lead us to a Flag.

When Grundy get’s to around 50-70 Games then it could be Possible.

Agree play Witts and Grundy together as much as possible

Grundy and Witts won't lead us to a flag either, at least not this year. Neither are potent enough as a resting forward yet.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:36 am

Stupied wrote:
mattys123 wrote:

And Brown was no superstar in the ruck either. White is serviceable enough for the 15-20% game time he will be needed for, and he will still be a more dangerous prospect going forward than a resting Grundy or Witts will be. In a few years, I'm sure the status quo will be different.

Leroy Brown gave plenty of frees away. White would provide less easy clearances in that respect.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: