Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hine in USA

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
collie dog wrote:
Pathetic really. The Irish expriment hasn't worked. Shea Mac didn't work out. Why in God's name would you draft a good athlete from the US of A and have to teach them how to play the most complicated form of football in the world, when there are hundreds of deserving Aussie kids missing out on the national draft every year?

Give Aussie kids a go for God's sake!!! Evil or Very Mad

I was just thinking that if Jack Spain was here, he'd be going on about those bloody foreigners taking jobs from good old Aussie boys.

Mods, just let him have his name back.

Stop the yanks.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:19 am

jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
collie dog wrote:
Pathetic really. The Irish expriment hasn't worked. Shea Mac didn't work out. Why in God's name would you draft a good athlete from the US of A and have to teach them how to play the most complicated form of football in the world, when there are hundreds of deserving Aussie kids missing out on the national draft every year?

Except that the international rookie spots are over and above the normal ones. Rolling Eyes

Give up Stui, I have. Can't combat ignorance when people just choose not to listen.

Yeah very true. It gets tiring year after year.

This year, I have given up mentioning on Nick's that Armstrong is actually a Collingwood player Rolling Eyes
E 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:28 am

loki04 wrote:
They should get 2 at a time let them learn together and push each other.

200cm 2.81 20sec, 90cm verts make Natuini seem normal, Shae Mac also didn't have these times/results.

Also it say's a scout from Pies no mention of Hine how do we know he went and not Rendell or other?

my dad sat next to him on the flight to New York and (in addition to confirming that we are taking Darcy Moore and making him our centre half forward of the future) he told dad that after visiting some of the new york teams to learn more about salary cap strategy, he was heading to the US trials. That was probably the biggest hint for me.......

E 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:39 am

Az wrote:
jackcass wrote:
E wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
You just know he's gonna pick up a gun

Well given there gun laws I suspect that will be pretty easy.

P.S-What's the bet he finds the only midget black basketballer over there and drafts him.

Could do worse than picking up the next Nate Robinson (175cm point guard). Has a serious leap and is strong and tough as a basketballer comes (played Gridiron in college): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Robinson

I am a US National Champion AFL footballer (meaning I am good enough to play in the social league in the ammo's back in Melbourne.

when I played footy over in the US, I was surrounded by some of the most remarkable athletes ever assembled. Unbelievable leaps, ferocious tacklers and actually better at reading the ball than you might think because they have simply brilliant hand eye coordination.

sadly, none of them could kick. and I mean seriously cant kick. americans just don't do it and they cant do it. Not even good enough for social grade of ammos. how on earth are any of them going to develop a kick efficient enough to allow them to play AFL. We criticize Sinclair, Toovs, etc. for being bad kicks. They are elite kicks outside of the AFL. these guys simply will not make it.

Maybe if an American starts kicking when he is young (then he has a shot).

contrast this with Pendles, who may have been better at basketball than footy when he was young, but I will guarantee Pendles was still kicking a footy when he was a kid. he had a base. its just different.

Big Shae had pretty handy skills, he was just too old when he tried to transition. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I say.

Came to say the exact same thing. Had a decent kick at his disposal if anything. Teaching these guys the skills CAN and will happen at some point. Same as a few of the Irish guys over the years, its only a matter of time before some freak athlete comes along who will be able to learn the craft and make a pretty decent career for himself. Here's hoping it will be us who finds that someone.

Sinclair also has handy kicking skills. Better than handy actually (and much better than Shae), but he gets found out at AFL level where Handy just doesnt cut it!!! We lambast poor old sinkers for his kicking and it is outstanding. It just isnt going to happen.

I heard they are looking at giants to be ruckman. Now this is the one area where they might have success, because a ruckman just doesnt need to kick the ball well or often to be effective. so i stand a little corrected. They could succeed by findning a giant ruckman.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:35 am

Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
collie dog wrote:

Except that the international rookie spots are over and above the normal ones. Rolling Eyes

Give up Stui, I have. Can't combat ignorance when people just choose not to listen.

This year, I have given up mentioning on Nick's that Armstrong is actually a Collingwood player Rolling Eyes

Nobody is arguing with you about that. Whether he actually deserves a spot on the senior list over a talent such as Martin is a whole other story.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:08 am

E wrote:
Sinclair also has handy kicking skills. Better than handy actually (and much better than Shae), but he gets found out at AFL level where Handy just doesnt cut it!!! We lambast poor old sinkers for his kicking and it is outstanding. It just isnt going to happen.

I heard they are looking at giants to be ruckman. Now this is the one area where they might have success, because a ruckman just doesnt need to kick the ball well or often to be effective. so i stand a little corrected. They could succeed by findning a giant ruckman.

Firstly, Shae's disposal by foot skills were actually very good. Hard to tell what his preferred foot was. The use of the term "pretty handy" was a deliberate attempt to understate the fact. I used his example to highlight that individuals from other codes can acquire the skills. Keeffey is another who came from another code, his skills are good. Mike Pyke says hello.

The earlier points made in the thread about the age of potential US/Canada recruits being a disadvantage is valid, even Pyke turns 30 this year.

Secondly, some people are fixated on Sinclair missing a few shots on goal early in his career and have pidgeon holed his disposal based on that. I actually think he generally uses the footy very well (DE above 70%) and is improving all the time so give little credence to those posters who lambaste him.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:48 am

Stupied wrote:
Lazza wrote:
jackcass wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
collie dog wrote:

Nobody is arguing with you about that. Whether he actually deserves a spot on the senior list over a talent such as Martin is a whole other story.

I don’t think anyone posting here on Nick's has an actual firkin clue as to whether he actually deserves a spot on the senior list over other talent. We can choose to acknowledge the fact that he is currently on the senior list and therefore eligible for senior selection according to the Collingwood powers that matter. And it is purely personal opinion posted here as to whether Armstrong should be picked in the seniors or not. The Collingwood coach and team selectors know best.
E 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:09 pm

jackcass wrote:
E wrote:

Firstly, Shae's disposal by foot skills were actually very good. Hard to tell what his preferred foot was. The use of the term "pretty handy" was a deliberate attempt to understate the fact. I used his example to highlight that individuals from other codes can acquire the skills. Keeffey is another who came from another code, his skills are good. Mike Pyke says hello.

The earlier points made in the thread about the age of potential US/Canada recruits being a disadvantage is valid, even Pyke turns 30 this year.

Secondly, some people are fixated on Sinclair missing a few shots on goal early in his career and have pidgeon holed his disposal based on that. I actually think he generally uses the footy very well (DE above 70%) and is improving all the time so give little credence to those posters who lambaste him.

Shae's footskills were never tested at AFL level. I look good off both sides and you cant tell which is my preferred foot. I cannot kick at an AFL level.

soccer players can be converted.

Americans who grew up on US football and basketball cannot be converted because they will never be able to kick.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:20 pm

E wrote:
jackcass wrote:
E wrote:

Shae's footskills were never tested at AFL level. I look good off both sides and you cant tell which is my preferred foot. I cannot kick at an AFL level.

soccer players can be converted.

Americans who grew up on US football and basketball cannot be converted because they will never be able to kick.

Yeah... the VFL is just a crap level of footy so we shouldn't ever extrapolate that a persons ability to execute at that level should translate to the AFL... probably best if we just drop this whole VFL experiment and just have our kids sitting around on the weekends when they don't have senior duties as we wouldn't want to see their skills going backwards.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:00 pm

E wrote:

No, someone from a basketball backround like Pendles will never make it, let alone captain an AFL team..... Rolling Eyes
Rubix85 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:31 pm

No, someone from a basketball backround like Pendles will never make it, let alone captain an AFL team..... Rolling Eyes[/quote]

Pendels would of been kicking a footy around all his child hood though, but Americans are throwing the dam thing around.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Lazza wrote:
E wrote:

No, someone from a basketball backround like Pendles will never make it, let alone captain an AFL team..... Rolling Eyes

Pendles played football as a kid than tried basketball. He was spotted and recruited after he started playing footy again.

That being said have no problem with Hines going and looking.
Remember AFL is played in the US not only as a fairly amateur league way but has been taught in a few schools.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:38 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
mattys123 wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Well, Pendlebury, by world standards, was a crap basketballer. We could easily find a better one. The trick will be turning him into a better AFL player Wink.

Pendles was actually a better teenage basketballer than Patty Mills, who now plays for the best NBA team there is, the Spurs. (Mills took Pendles place at the AIS after Pendles pulled out)

But yeah, why not, can't be worse than the Irish boys.

A tall African American would have more upside then a Irish Boy

With you 100% there Dave. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:41 pm

E wrote:
loki04 wrote:
They should get 2 at a time let them learn together and push each other.

200cm 2.81 20sec, 90cm verts make Natuini seem normal, Shae Mac also didn't have these times/results.

Also it say's a scout from Pies no mention of Hine how do we know he went and not Rendell or other?

my dad sat next to him on the flight to New York and (in addition to confirming that we are taking Darcy Moore and making him our centre half forward of the future) he told dad that after visiting some of the new york teams to learn more about salary cap strategy, he was heading to the US trials. That was probably the biggest hint for me.......

Fair enough.
Hopefully he picks one up.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:59 pm

Select individuals can make it.

As Stynes, Wight, Kennelly and Hanley have all proven, the Irish can adapt.
So too could Americans if Canucks like Pyke can make a fist of it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: