Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hine in USA

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the pie guy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

My only problem with drafting US athletes, Is that most Americans want, above all else, a college education meaning we cant get out hands on them until they are 23/24. Allowing for the fact that they then need at least a couple of season of AFL to hone their skill as well as a couple of preseasons just to get their fitness up to standard. They are not ready to play until they are at least 26, meaning we have them for 4 /5 years. The athletes that attend the conbine are all in that profile and although all are great athletes they know nothing about the game nor the fitness required.

The three Americans out here at present are all in that age bracket and watching Eric Wallace (North/Nth Ballarat) a couple of weeks ago showed, in his second year, he is still no where near ready. Both he and Jason Holmes (St.K/Sandringham) have stated that although they thought they were fit, nothing prepared them for preseason training.

We are the biggest, best and wealthiest club in the land, so why not do the recruiting our way. Record a reality TV show by inviting 12, 18 year olds with a uni scholarship to Melb. or Monash and a rookie spot to the winner/winners. The six week show would pay for the Uni. scholarship and would be great as a promotional tool, both here and in the US. Then place the winner with our VFL team while they attend Uni. by the time they finish Uni they are 22/23 and we, hopefully, have a ready made AFL player.
Lets not also forget that as international rookies they are not included in the salary cap, so they do not deny an Aussie a place.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:17 pm

That is an awesome idea - promote the game here and in the states, would do well on fox footy or similar. Probably need to invite another club or clubs to participate though (ie. Western Bulldogs who we seem to be pretty friendly with and won't be challenging us often!) to soften the Collingwood critics Razz

- Ben
the pie guy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:30 pm

Stuff the Collingwood critics, we can't please or appease them anyway.

Seriously but, I do like the idea of inviting the Dogs, we could not then be accused of trying to use our wealth to impose ourselves on the competition and anyway the Dogs have a good work ethic which I admire.

But only until they challenge us.

I once heard that we have several thousand US members and this also help increase our penetration in the US.
Az 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:31 pm

jackcass wrote:
E wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
You just know he's gonna pick up a gun

Well given there gun laws I suspect that will be pretty easy.

P.S-What's the bet he finds the only midget black basketballer over there and drafts him.

Could do worse than picking up the next Nate Robinson (175cm point guard). Has a serious leap and is strong and tough as a basketballer comes (played Gridiron in college): en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nate_Robinson

I am a US National Champion AFL footballer (meaning I am good enough to play in the social league in the ammo's back in Melbourne.

when I played footy over in the US, I was surrounded by some of the most remarkable athletes ever assembled. Unbelievable leaps, ferocious tacklers and actually better at reading the ball than you might think because they have simply brilliant hand eye coordination.

sadly, none of them could kick. and I mean seriously cant kick. americans just don't do it and they cant do it. Not even good enough for social grade of ammos. how on earth are any of them going to develop a kick efficient enough to allow them to play AFL. We criticize Sinclair, Toovs, etc. for being bad kicks. They are elite kicks outside of the AFL. these guys simply will not make it.

Maybe if an American starts kicking when he is young (then he has a shot).

contrast this with Pendles, who may have been better at basketball than footy when he was young, but I will guarantee Pendles was still kicking a footy when he was a kid. he had a base. its just different.

Big Shae had pretty handy skills, he was just too old when he tried to transition. Nothing ventured, nothing gained I say.

Came to say the exact same thing. Had a decent kick at his disposal if anything. Teaching these guys the skills CAN and will happen at some point. Same as a few of the Irish guys over the years, its only a matter of time before some freak athlete comes along who will be able to learn the craft and make a pretty decent career for himself. Here's hoping it will be us who finds that someone.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:57 pm

the pie guy wrote:
My only problem with drafting US athletes, Is that most Americans want, above all else, a college education meaning we cant get out hands on them until they are 23/24. Allowing for the fact that they then need at least a couple of season of AFL to hone their skill as well as a couple of preseasons just to get their fitness up to standard. They are not ready to play until they are at least 26, meaning we have them for 4 /5 years. The athletes that attend the conbine are all in that profile and although all are great athletes they know nothing about the game nor the fitness required.

The three Americans out here at present are all in that age bracket and watching Eric Wallace (North/Nth Ballarat) a couple of weeks ago showed, in his second year, he is still no where near ready. Both he and Jason Holmes (St.K/Sandringham) have stated that although they thought they were fit, nothing prepared them for preseason training.

We are the biggest, best and wealthiest club in the land, so why not do the recruiting our way. Record a reality TV show by inviting 12, 18 year olds with a uni scholarship to Melb. or Monash and a rookie spot to the winner/winners. The six week show would pay for the Uni. scholarship and would be great as a promotional tool, both here and in the US. Then place the winner with our VFL team while they attend Uni. by the time they finish Uni they are 22/23 and we, hopefully, have a ready made AFL player.
Lets not also forget that as international rookies they are not included in the salary cap, so they do not deny an Aussie a place.

The problem with that idea is that, at 18 they still have a shot of getting drafted to the NBA or NFL where the earning capacity is light years ahead of what we can pay them. The guys who we're looking at are ones that weren't good enough to go pro in the US and are looking for something different.

the pie guy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:22 pm

Agreed Stui, but with 300 million plus population, there is a huge talent pool and not all are good enough to make the NFL or NBA draft or can afford to go a top College, and I suspect the vast majority know it. It also depends on how you sell the idea and as with most new ideas it is a marketing exercise.

The thing is that almost all yanks, once exposed to our great game, love it. Show them a replay of the Anzac game or our 2010 grand final!!!
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:44 pm

Pathetic really. The Irish expriment hasn't worked. Shea Mac didn't work out. Why in God's name would you draft a good athlete from the US of A and have to teach them how to play the most complicated form of football in the world, when there are hundreds of deserving Aussie kids missing out on the national draft every year?

Give Aussie kids a go for God's sake!!! Evil or Very Mad

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:53 pm

^^Excellent point. We should be filling these INTERNATIONAL rookie spots with Aussies. There's got to be some quality ex-pats out there somewhere.
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:00 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
^^Excellent point. We should be filling these INTERNATIONAL rookie spots with Aussies. There's got to be some quality ex-pats out there somewhere.

Exactly. E for one. Very Happy

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:03 pm

collie dog wrote:
Pathetic really. The Irish expriment hasn't worked. Shea Mac didn't work out. Why in God's name would you draft a good athlete from the US of A and have to teach them how to play the most complicated form of football in the world, when there are hundreds of deserving Aussie kids missing out on the national draft every year?

I was just thinking that if Jack Spain was here, he'd be going on about those bloody foreigners taking jobs from good old Aussie boys.

Mods, just let him have his name back.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:11 pm

collie dog wrote:

Except that the international rookie spots are over and above the normal ones. Rolling Eyes

Brown26 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:47 pm

Damn it Stui! why do you have to be so reasonable!! We were just getting to the good bit about international Aussies!! Razz

- Ben
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:46 am

How about this Bloke?

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-28/taller-than-sandi-cox-shines-at-international-combine

loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:15 am

They should get 2 at a time let them learn together and push each other.

200cm 2.81 20sec, 90cm verts make Natuini seem normal, Shae Mac also didn't have these times/results.

Also it say's a scout from Pies no mention of Hine how do we know he went and not Rendell or other?

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:57 am

stui magpie wrote:
collie dog wrote:

Except that the international rookie spots are over and above the normal ones. Rolling Eyes

Give up Stui, I have. Can't combat ignorance when people just choose not to listen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: