Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Holding the ball?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:31 am
Post subject: Re: Holding the Ball????Reply with quote

magpie1111 wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Well saw Twice a Pie Player run down a Bombers Player but for only to be called play on.

So how is that not holding the ball with Prior Chance?

Bloody Scumps
Its been happening all season a run down tackle is the ultimate tackle its one of the highlights of the game and needs to be rewarded

Yeah I agree, at one stage they had triple our tackles, then that turned around to ours being at least double theirs, I didn't see the free count go up that much!

But what is worse is seeing players stop and throw their arms up because the scumps didn't give them one, you just got to keep playing

Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:30 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil, with due respect I don't think that's the point (although the thread has gone a little off topic I'll give you that!). The run down from behind tackles should clearly be a free kick. Heaps of prior, didn't dispose of it legally, should be a free.

Happened twice IIR yesterday, both Don's players run down by Pies players. I like letting it go in the scrum type passages of play, which we actually GOT a couple of frees for yesterday. The Essendon players had very little (if any) prior and I think were penalised because they didn't look like they were trying to dispose of the ball hard enough - tough ask when you've got 3 players on your back.

I like those ones being called ball up, BUT the run down from behind should be paid as a free kick. It's a big deviation away from the traditional rules and spirit of the game if they aren't.

And, as most people on here seem to recall, it just so happened that the obvious ones from yesterday both should have gone to the Pies. Last week, though, we got away with one too. It still doesn't make it right which ever side it favours.

As for the standard of umpiring yesterday, many (most) of the free kicks yesterday, to both sides, were soft / borderline / technical free kicks which the umpires haven't been paying so much of this year. I think the game was umpired poorly because of that - the same infringements happen often during the game but only a handful are "rewarded". This is inconsistent and avoidable. If the umpires didn't pay any of them it would be a better standard of umpiring.

For example, there were a few frees where the players ducked into the tackler (rammed them with the head essentially) and there were a few times where the umpires clearly called out "no free kick, ducked into it." Well which one is it? Does it matter which umpire it is, where it is on the ground, what phase the moon is in? Who knows, all I know is it's inconsistent and avoidable.

And then to pay a string of "high" tackles for essentially incidental contact to the head which does't affect any contest and miss the two run down from behind tackles that should be free kicks any day of the week IMO makes it twice as bad.

Anyway, there's my two cents. I think they overumpired a lot more yesterday than the previous 5 weeks and I'll be interested to see the rest of the round.

- Ben
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:18 pm

^^I think the reason the umpiring was "poor" was because of the big stage. They clearly had their target areas (holding off the ball, or the "Caff rule", being the main one), and were determined to pay them right from the start (first was a "hold" on Stanton by, I think, Swan which resulted in a goal). It was a statement game from the umpires, declaring that they're not happy with this tactic and want it stopped.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:21 pm

What did they do with it?
Rexy17 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:59 pm

simple thing is if its a "well known named player" they will get a free kick every time, or get away with one no being paid
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: