Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Combet takes lover on $72,000 taxpayer funded junket

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:15 pm
Post subject: Combet takes lover on $72,000 taxpayer funded junketReply with quote

The age of entitlement must end with our politicians.

Take your lover at the taxpayers expense. What a joke.

At least Abbott is trying to stop pollies and public servants flying first class. Bob Carr complains about travelling business class. The Greens with their holier than thou attitude are strangely silent.

Time for the politicians and public servants to realise it is our money. If people want to take their spouses, partners etc. let them pay for it themselves - they get paid enough as it is.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/deceit-is-as-easy-as-abc-for-newsreader-juanita-phillips-taxpayerfunded-european-jaunt/story-fni0xqrc-1226895408012
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

An ABC newsreader gets paid $320k pa?
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:24 pm

Liberals take all expenses trip to a wedding.

Labor takes their fuckbuddies on 50 grand European trips.

The people barely notice and keep posting inane facebook updates.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:49 pm

Is the prime minister of the nation still trying to justify his fraud of the Australian public by leaking stories of the corruption of others?

Nope, you're the prime minister; there is nothing anyone else has done that can justify your fraud.

And no amount of PR will be able to hide the endemic, democracy-hating corruption of your mining industry masters.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I expect it's a fair bit less than what commercial newsreaders get.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:17 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

This is just part of the attack on the ABC, whose extremely high quality programs are expected by be directed, researched and hosted for free by your classmates at RMIT Wink

The Corrupt Communist Campaign run by Abbott's Stalinist masters won't stop until we're all watching Fox News on Fox Broadband from our temporary Rinehart mining squats in the Western Desert.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:13 am

pietillidie wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

This is just part of the attack on the ABC, whose extremely high quality programs are expected by be directed, researched and hosted for free by your classmates at RMIT Wink

The Corrupt Communist Campaign run by Abbott's Stalinist masters won't stop until we're all watching Fox News on Fox Broadband from our temporary Rinehart mining squats in the Western Desert.

Correct weight.

Nothing to read here. Next.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:36 am

Christ some of you are rusted on.

$57,000 for airline tickets.

FMD.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:14 am

Don't take my response to Stui's post as any sort of tolerance for this kind of behaviour. I'm disgusted by all such profligacy with taxpayer funds and wish to see all culprits held accountable.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:56 am

swoop42 wrote:

FMD.

It seems excessive, agreed, but we don't have any details of the itinerary and her contract conditions.

I mean, it was either fraud, which should obviously be dealt with accordingly, or it was a very expensive first-class trip within the stipulations of her contract (which the crappy, low-grade article concerned seems to concede).

And, more importantly, did it make her overall remuneration package exceed that of comparable peers in the industry? You can't criticise the quality of the ABC and then want it run by third year Victoria University media students. When you think it through, it is highly abusive and immoral to demand people who work at the ABC earn less than those at comparable organisations. People doing a good thing for society should be paid more than some creep at Fox telling lies and spreading hysteria, not less.

Remember, the Communist campaign against the free speech of the ABC is doing everything it can to ruin the broadcaster so there is no independent news at all. First, they claimed no one watches it, and now the ABC has tried to become more slick and hire better talent they accuse it of spending too much.

The power and money stacked against the ABC reporting actual, factual, independent news is so big, you don't get to read any material which helps you put these things in context.

I'm not saying I'm right on this as we don't have all the facts we need, but don't get sucked in before you know the full facts and then put them in context.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:38 am

^

You dill, it's got nothing to do with her remuneration and everything to do with potential for conflict of interest with an ABC reporter accepting taxpayer funded holidays with a then government minister.

It should really have been declared up front, not after the event. it's a bit of a blurry line as it's not really a gift/bribe/hospitality when the invitation is from your partner but the whole taxpayer funded bit makes it blurry.

Hardly an attack on the ABC, more to the point, how the hell does Combet spend $72k on a 10 day trip to study climate change in France?

And what's this supposed fraud that Abbott has done I haven't seen any charges. His expenses have all been approved as far as I'm aware, with full disclosure.

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:58 am

Surely the issue is bigger than left v right propaganda. Some people here seem to have just jumped on their high horses. This is not about bias at the ABC or whether the ABC should have its budget cut, which is a separate issue.

When I go away for work, my company does not pay for my wife 's airfares, meals or accommodation. If I want her to come, I have to pay for her airfares, meals and any upgrade in accommodation if required.

If Combet, or any other politician, Labor, Liberal, Green or whatever, why should the public pay for them to take their partners when they are away for work?

If they want to take them ok but pay for it themselves.

Abbott to his credit seems to want to reign in first class travel, which is a start.

But why allow this for any politician? They all have a vested interest and take their partners at our expense. Even the Greens who are so self righteous do not appear to want to miss out on this gravy train.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:14 am

thebaldfacts wrote:

Abbott to his credit seems to want to reign in first class travel, which is a start.

Lets just wait and see, Abbotts reputation for breaking his word grows by the day.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

You dill, it's got nothing to do with her remuneration and everything to do with potential for conflict of interest with an ABC reporter accepting taxpayer funded holidays with a then government minister.

It should really have been declared up front, not after the event. it's a bit of a blurry line as it's not really a gift/bribe/hospitality when the invitation is from your partner but the whole taxpayer funded bit makes it blurry.

Hardly an attack on the ABC, more to the point, how the hell does Combet spend $72k on a 10 day trip to study climate change in France?

And what's this supposed fraud that Abbott has done I haven't seen any charges. His expenses have all been approved as far as I'm aware, with full disclosure.

No, as usual you're the dunderhead with the red face who has posted without reading something properly. Given you apparently missed the quote I was addressing, here it is for your edification:

swoop42 wrote:

FMD.

Swoop was focusing on what he thought was exorbitant cost. The claims of conflict of interest are a a very different topic. I was trying to put such costs in perspective.

Read; comprehend; assess; post. It's a trusty sequence.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:51 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
When I go away for work, my company does not pay for my wife 's airfares, meals or accommodation. If I want her to come, I have to pay for her airfares, meals and any upgrade in accommodation if required.

If Combet, or any other politician, Labor, Liberal, Green or whatever, why should the public pay for them to take their partners when they are away for work?

What does your contract say? She is not a standard worker in the class of some standard form of employ. If her contract allows for it, Combet's identity has nothing to do with it at all whatsoever.

She's in the upper-income contract category of executives and special talent (newsreaders, entertainers, personalities, etc.). In that class, such an arrangement is very often part of contractual salary and conditions packages. As someone who has helped negotiate many such contracts between Korean and overseas companies, I can see the beat-up efforts in two seconds.

Now, as I haven't seen her contract I don't know if she has breached any conditions. As stated, if she has she deserves to be dealt with accordingly.

But if she hasn't breached any conditions, what the heck has that got to do with us? Or you don't believe in contract law anymore?

And if you don't like her salary, benefits package and conditions, you've got three choices: Set her salary in advance, tax her salary accordingly, or employ 3rd-year university students to do the job for the nation.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: