Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Buckley's Game Plan

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:54 am
Post subject: Buckley's Game PlanReply with quote

Now into his third year behind the wheel, I think the Buckley game plan is becoming more obvious. I dare say, if I'd started this thread a few weeks back, the usual anti-Buckley brigade would be jumping in frothing at the mouth as they do in the 'Game On' thread every week. But the last few weeks, with finally some luck on the injury front (that is no new long-term injuries and key players on the cusp of a return), Buckley's vision is taking shape.

So what are the keys?
•a skillful, hard running back six (or seven)
The original plan was to have Sinclair, Seedsman and Williams for pace and footskills plus the grunt and defensive pressure of Maxwell, Brown and Toovey. Injuries to Sinclair, Seedsman and Broomhead cruelled this plan and so Bucks moved to plan B. Plan B introduced the loping, smart-decision -making Langdon, the athletic Frost and the 'new' Fasolo. It has paid off. All have done very well and have held the fort so to speak. Keeffe was a ready replacement for Brown and it is just as well as Brown will not see out the season. Sooner or later Browny's shoulder will pop out again and that will be it for the season. The coach has taken a calculated risk here, and if Brown gets through half a season then he has probably done pretty well. Maxy is back to his best playing spare man and directing traffic. Williams returning will bolster the plan but can the inexperience hold up against a skilful offensive juggernaut like Hawthorn or Geelong? If the defence can hold up for the next few weeks, Collingwood will be well paced for the second half of the season.

•Centreline This is where we bat pretty deep but the crucial missing ingredient has been applying pressure both ways. It's starting to happen. Throwing Elliott up the ground at various stages has been excellent; he has been creative under pressure. Witts and Grundy are learning the caper but both have shown that they are long term players.

•Forwards
The key to the Buckley game plan is having a multi pronged attack to take advantage of the running backs and inside 50 entries. Last year the plan fell flat because we couldn't convert opportunities; we kicked poorly and Cloke was often our only key target. White has taken some pressure off and when Reid stands tall, it will be a massive advantage.

The key, missing piece of the jigsaw is forward pressure. Last year with massive numbers going in, the forwards didn't apply nearly enough pressure and the ball was rebounded very easily with scores coming easily under a jittery defence. This year, if we ignore round one, the stats show that Collingwood is applying fantastic forward pressure. Our forced turnovers are up with the great press years of 2010 and 2011. Presently Collingwood is ranked number one for forcing turnovers. This is a huge positive.
We are still not converting those turnovers though. We currently rank number 9 for scores from turnovers. Reid returning should see that stat change for the good, provided Reid can stay on the park and that is a pretty big if.

The forward pressure stats:

2010 2011 2014
Turnovers 73 76 77
Rank #1 #1 #1
Scores from t/o 72 73 52
Rank #1 #1 #9

Ok these are my thoughts on the evolution of Plan Buckley. He needs some luck now to enable some consolidation down back and a multi-pronged forward line. Ben Reid should be wrapped in cotton wool because he is the difference between finishing somewhere between 10th and 8th or challenging for the top 4.

Last edited by Neil Appleby on Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joeboy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:23 pm
Post subject: buckleys game planReply with quote

i agree, the backline with maxwell,fasolo,frost. keeth and mates repelling norths thrusts forward. it,s great to see maxy(without someone in his ear and injury) free back to his top form go pies
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised that the scores from turnovers is so low. I assume that's all scores, not just goals? Having said that despite our backline performing well it's only in the last two weeks that we've really started to get the inside 50s stat up (and hence at least half a chance at a shot on goal).

Exciting times Neil!

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:00 pm

Not sure why you think Reid needs the cotton wool approach yes he is injured at the moment but look at his age/games played. He has not missed out on that many games.

Our weakness up forward has been our lack of players that can threaten the opposition. Cloke basically. Now Cloke Reid Elliot White possibly Fasolo
The multi pronged attack means no longer will Cloke be three on oned. If it happens we have players that can actually kick goals and are now spreading.

September Zeros 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:33 pm

I'm hopeless at picking game plans but I have also noted on watching replays some of our forwards working deep in defence and more of our half back line kicking deeper into attack and on a few occasions having a ping on goals. One may suggests they are just running both directions better but there seemed to be something more structured and rotational about it. Something to watch.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:42 pm

I was thinking this the other day.

In r1, everyone was complaining that we had no game-plan.

It is really beginning to be obvious now.

I think we are still conservative at heart with a real focus on getting back quickly to defend. However, when it's time to go, we are not afraid to attack through the centre and get it to Cloke as quick as possible.

Seems to be a lot more emphasis this year on movement out of defence which was a clear problem last year. We could improve our clearances a bit. We are also happy to utilise the handball to break a game open.

We still like the spare man in Defence, and we are allowed this because no team has had the courage to leave Cloke 1 out up the other end. Therefore, they drop a spare back to cover Cloke, and that gives us either Maxy or Fasolo free.

In essence though we are holding our structure and not dropping spares back. We are just allowed this by the opposition.

Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:14 pm

neil wrote:
Not sure why you think Reid needs the cotton wool approach yes he is injured at the moment but look at his age/games played. He has not missed out on that many games.

Our weakness up forward has been our lack of players that can threaten the opposition. Cloke basically. Now Cloke Reid Elliot White possibly Fasolo
The multi pronged attack means no longer will Cloke be three on oned. If it happens we have players that can actually kick goals and are now spreading.

Well I'm drawing on my memory rather than stats Neil, but to me, Reid rarely sees out a game without some sort of scare; usually involving his long, lanky legs. he often comes back on though but he scares he hell out of me on a regular basis.

But even if I'm wrong and you are right, I'd still treat him with kid gloves; he is the key to our 2014.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:19 pm

Well as one of the most vociferous among the 'Buckley bashers', I'm happy to concede that his overall strategy is looking like it's starting to work, but I would argue that much of our recent performances have been the result of the sheer talent of our guys, particularly the mids. Where Bucks has yet to show any kind of greatness is in the tactical side, adapting his game plan to the ever-changing on-field situation.

But then despite being decidedly unhappy with the "succession" cluster&*k, I've said all along that dumping Bucks would be a mistake, regardless of how the season pans out (and a two-game winning streak does not a premiership side make). It would make us look suicidal and unstable, even if we did have a valid successor, which we don't.

I still believe that the administrators should go, including Pert & Ed. They lied far to often to us for me to support them, and those lies cost us a lot. I will always support the players before the suits, for THEY are Collingwood, and still, I believe the best list in the game. At our best we can still beat all comers, the admin just needs to get the f*&k out of their way and instill the confidence we should have.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:31 pm

35forever wrote:
Well as one of the most vociferous among the 'Buckley bashers', I'm happy to concede that his overall strategy is looking like it's starting to work, but I would argue that much of our recent performances have been the result of the sheer talent of our guys, particularly the mids. Where Bucks has yet to show any kind of greatness is in the tactical side, adapting his game plan to the ever-changing on-field situation.

But then despite being decidedly unhappy with the "succession" cluster&*k, I've said all along that dumping Bucks would be a mistake, regardless of how the season pans out (and a two-game winning streak does not a premiership side make). It would make us look suicidal and unstable, even if we did have a valid successor, which we don't.

I still believe that the administrators should go, including Pert & Ed. They lied far to often to us for me to support them, and those lies cost us a lot. I will always support the players before the suits, for THEY are Collingwood, and still, I believe the best list in the game. At our best we can still beat all comers, the admin just needs to get the f*&k out of their way and instill the confidence we should have.

Just a point, while I don't support dumping Bucks and do believe that he will do well with this team, as far as having a valid successor in the wings Sir Scott Burns says "Hi".

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:18 pm

Making a defender out of Fasolo was a brilliant tactical move by Bucks.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:55 pm

RudeBoy wrote:

Fasolo isn't fit to lick my toe jam. Smile

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Defender wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Fasolo isn't fit to lick my toe jam. Smile

your toe jam must be Ambrosia then because fas is a gun.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:17 pm

35forever wrote:

Are you high? There have been multiple instances where a clever move by Bucks in the coaches box has changed the flow of a game.

If anyone is guilty of not changing his game plan to suit the on field situation it's your mate 'Mr no plan B' MM.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:24 pm

Neil Appleby wrote:
neil wrote:

Well I'm drawing on my memory rather than stats Neil, but to me, Reid rarely sees out a game without some sort of scare; usually involving his long, lanky legs. he often comes back on though but he scares he hell out of me on a regular basis.

But even if I'm wrong and you are right, I'd still treat him with kid gloves; he is the key to our 2014.

He seems to fall over his own feet more than Bambi!

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:32 pm

Stupied wrote:
35forever wrote:

Are you high? There have been multiple instances where a clever move by Bucks in the coaches box has changed the flow of a game.

If anyone is guilty of not changing his game plan to suit the on field situation it's your mate 'Mr no plan B' MM.

What did those lies cost us exactly?

I think Bucks deserves credit for
- Sinclair to defence
- H up the ground
- Macaffer to top 3 tagger (with Crowley and Curnow)
- Fasolo down back when we needed the skills badly
- Reid up forward too will work well
- think the clean out was required, like Geelong are getting so much credit for

As for game plan, i am encouraged by the pressure I am seeing again. Other things are still jury out for me but we are moving the ball out of defence better in general including from kick outs.
We'll get better with even more selection pressure emerging. Players will have to put in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: