Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

One of only four men to have this honour - Nick Maxwell

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greening gold 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:01 am
Post subject: One of only four men to have this honour - Nick MaxwellReply with quote

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/nick-off-hes-the-maxwell-for-all-seasons-20140422-zqxxe.html

Nick off, he's the Maxwell for all seasons

He can be made to look slow. He doesnt necessarily beat his direct opponent, if he has one. He can be too short for a good tall, and too cumbersome for a slick small.

At the start of this season, many doubted he would remain in his sides best 22. After the first game, those doubts seemed justified, when the Dockers made him look like a 1974 Ford Falcon on a field of Ferraris.

He has never been short of sceptics and critics and even he acknowledges his limitations. At the end of 2013, he contemplated retiring. He treated every contract as if it was his last. Ive had no choice because Im not good enough, he told Fairfax Media on the eve of his 200th game.

But in the past four matches, Nick Maxwell has yet again proved all of us and perhaps even himself wrong.

Maxwell handballed the captaincy to Scott Pendlebury, partly in recognition that his career was winding down; he was past his prime, Pendlebury was at his zenith. One wondered if Maxwell would be guaranteed a game.

Yet Maxwells renaissance has been remarkable, and unexpected.

We marvel at Nick Riewoldts abilities as a 30-year old, but Riewoldt is a champion. Hes always been exceptional. Its not that surprising that hed maintain the rage and enthusiasm.

Maxwells performances, though, are genuinely startling, and a tribute to the resilience of a footballer who was overlooked in multiple drafts, widely considered a hack and yet managed to play 200 games and captain a Collingwood premiership team. The second feat has been managed by only four people since World War II.

There has been far too much focus, particularly from Maxwells internet detractors, on what he cant do, compared with most captains, who typically, are elite players.

What he can do ought to be given more weighting, particularly in light of what Maxwell has produced in 2014, when his team had a decimated defence.

The opprobrium Maxwell receives is unsurprising, given his limitations and former position as Collingwood skipper, but the derision lacks perspective. This is a fellow who has extracted more than seemed possible from modest physical gifts, who overcame numerous obstacles, and became one of the competitions best leaders. Matthew Scarlett was off the mark Maxwell is comparable to Tom Harley, if less conventionally talented, in terms of value to his team over the journey.

Richmond, for instance, would improve considerably with a player of Maxwells ilk in its back line. He has many of the traits the Tigers lack: composure in defence, leadership, a strong physical presence and the ability to coach younger players on the field. Carlton, too, would gain significantly.

Consider the no-name Collingwood backline, which has conceded an average of 71 points against among the competitions least since round one despite an ostensibly tough fixture. Geelong was restricted to 87 points, North to 58.

Jack Frost has played seven AFL games, Tom Langdon, a first-year player, just five, Lachlan Keeffe has notched 25, and while Alex Fasolo has played 43 and is a top-end talent, he has been a backman for precisely three weeks.

Nathan Brown and Ben Reid have been missing from the key defensive posts, Marley Williams, obviously, has been unavailable, as has Paul Seedsman and Ben Sinclair. Heath Shaws trading deprived the Pies of their best creative running defender.

Maxwell aside, only Alan Toovey, resuming after a knee reconstruction 12 months ago, remains from the backline of 2013.

Maxwell has been the spiritual leader of this inexperienced defence. He did not give up his leadership and directing abilities from behind the ball when Pendlebury assumed the captaincy.

Its true that Maxwells resurgence has been heavily assisted by the role Buckley has assigned him, often deployed as the spare man behind the ball for when the wheels fall off. If he isnt flash one-on-one, hes one of the best in the game as the extra man, where his smarts, courage and play-reading abilities are given full expression.

Hes great at laying off his man, if he has one, and helping out teammates. His numerous critics, too, should lay off him.

rand corp 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:13 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Here here Maxy has been in great form recent weeks, deserves full credit and accolades given
larrylj Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:46 am

Beautifully said. Maxy you are a star.
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:49 am

Made me think about Jason Cloke and how much we would have slaughtered Brisvegas in '02 if he played.

86 is a legend of the club. Like fellow skipper Casper came from deep down in the draft and grafted out an amazing career.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:29 pm

^^^no doubt Jason Cloke would of made the difference in the 2002
grand final and i suspect the grubs at AFL house did as well.

Maxy is what most clubs wish they had. leadership, bravery, a confidant.

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:41 pm

Sums it up perfectly. Great article, spot on. In this form, I hope he plays another year!
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:07 pm

A nice article. Well said
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:10 pm

A more apt car analogy would have been the Holden Sunbird in Jake Nialls' article.

Well done Maxy & thanks for posting the article & link GG.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:09 pm

Maxy was clearly leadership material from game 1. He was the archetypal back, courageous, smart, and a master of reading play.
That he became a premiership captain was no accident, he didn't just happen to be the Captain when we were good enough to win the flag, something even Buckley couldn't quite manage (although as mentioned above he would have if Jason Cloke had played in '02 - he was one of the best plus ones in the back line I've ever seen. Briz wouldn't have scored in the last quarter if we had him).
I've been thrilled with Maxys post-captaincy performance, not only has he played brilliantly, he's like a second captain to our young back line, and has allowed Pendles to not get bogged down with captaincy issues and become truly inspirational.

If this was Buckleys plan, well done, though I think it was more of a 'happy accident'.

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:48 pm

I think this week will be a real litmus test for Maxwell as far as his new found form goes.

I'll be staggered if Thompson allows him to play the game on his and the pies terms and you'd expect someone like Goddard and Watson when he goes forward will look to engage him from the get go.

Fasolo is the other who'll get much more intention this week you'd imagine.

It should be an interesting battle of wills between the two coaches.

35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:55 pm

If the bombers focus their attention on Maxy or Fas, it simply means less pressure on other guys who will shine. It really is a massive game for both sides. I wonder when Bomber last lost two in a row?

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:03 pm

^^^ Rounds 4 and 5 this year, as it happens (beaten by Freo and the 'Aints). Before that, it was 4 losses in a row, rounds 18 to 21 inclusive in 2013. They do really have a pathetic recent record for an alleged top-4 contender.

Edit: I misread your post - I read "Bomber" as "Bombers".

For Thompson as coach, it was rounds 14 and 15 in 2009. Of course, he didn't coach between the end of 2010 and the start of this year.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:12 am

The best article Niall has written for a long time. Respect to a great player and leader of our club.

www.facebook/the hybernators
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:02 pm

A great read. Says more eloquently what some posters here have long argued.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:27 am

Really love the way Maxwell is playing at the moment. Since he's no longer captain he's probably felt a greater sense of freedom so to speak and allowed himself to play more for his spot more than anything else.

He's played as the loose man in the last few weeks but that goes to show how many undermine Maxwell as a footballer. He may not be the most talented footballer going around but he's a hard worker and natural leader that should be respected by everyone. He's had a great career and with this great form so far I wouldn't mind seeing him playing again in 2015 but there's a long way to go from now until the end of the season so we'll see how it plays out for him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: