Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Please sign online petition saying NO to variable Pricing

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:57 am
Post subject: Please sign online petition saying NO to variable PricingReply with quote

http://www.petitions24.com/aflticketpricing

AFL Fans Association.

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:01 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

For immediate release – April 22, 2014

FANS VENT THEIR ANGER OVER VARIABLE PRICING

AFL FANS ASSOCIATION (AFLFA): “GIVING FOOTY FANS A VOICE”

The AFL’s new ticket system descended into farce yesterday when it allowed Geelong and Hawthorn members to scan into their game after telling them they had to pre-book for the A-Reserved match.

Club members who had paid up to $39 to upgrade to a reserved seat vented their anger to six AFL Fans Association volunteers trialling a petition against variable pricing. The volunteers collected almost 900 signatures before the game, with hundreds of fans criticising the new system.

The AFLFA petition, which can be accessed via www.aflfans.org, attracted more than 1200 signatures in its first two days online and at the Geelong-Hawthorn match.

“We had many fans approach us to say they resented being forced to book for this game,” AFLFA president Brian Clarke says. “They were even angrier when the AFL moved the goal posts at the last minute. It’s policy on the run and no-one seems to understand what is going on. It’s a mess and driving grassroots fans, the lifeblood of the game, away from footy.”

The AFL announced the game’s changed status with a press release just after 11am yesterday: “Recognising the demand for this game and the limited public seating available, the remaining walk-up seating on Q Level in the AFL Reserve will be available to AFL Members as well as Geelong and Hawthorn Members (who are yet to upgrade) who wish to scan in at Gate 7.”

Confusion reigned about whether these members paid any extra and why those who had booked couldn’t do the same. “Some members who had booked a seat were ropable,” Brian says.

Overall, 2014 crowds to Round 5 are down by 6.8 per cent on last year - more than 110,000 - with A-

Reserved and A-Games hit hardest. Yesterday’s A-Reserved Geelong-Hawthorn clash, which drew 80,222, was the first genuine 2014 blockbuster. The next biggest crowd was 63,152 at Collingwood-Geelong.

In stark contrast, by the end of Round 5 in 2013 we’d had three games over 80,000 (Carlton-Richmond, 80,971, Collingwood-Carlton, 82,247 and Richmond-Collingwood 81,950) and two over 70,000 (Hawthorn-Geelong, 76,300 and Collingwood-Hawthorn, 72,254).

The 2013 Essendon-Collingwood ANZAC Day clash was also in Round 5 and drew 93,373.
The 2013 Essendon-Collingwood ANZAC Day clash was also in Round 5 and drew 93,373.

“Even considering other factors such as weather, team form and scheduling, the new ticket system has turned most blockbusters into mockbusters,” Brian says. “Fans hate it and many say they are paying more this year for the same seats as last year. Collingwood president Eddie McGuire said on TV last night that variable pricing ‘doesn’t pass the smell test’ and we agree. It must go.”

The AFLFA provides a voice for AFL fans across Australia. AFLFA membership is free and anyone can join at www.aflfans.org. For more information: AFLFA president Brian Clarke on 0435 092 987

The following page has the wording of the AFLFA petition, which can be found at

http://www.petitions24.com/aflticketpricing or via www.aflfans.org. -/2

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:02 am

AFL Ticket Pricing

To: Mr Mike Fitzpatrick, Chairman of the Commission, Australian Football League Incorporated.

We, the undersigned, as Supporters and Owners of the great game of Australian Rules Football, hereby call upon the Australian Football League Commission, as custodians of Our Great Game, to revoke the current variable pricing regime for admission to AFL matches.

Further, we call upon the Commission, to replace this system for Season 2015, with either:

o The pricing scheme used in Season 2013, OR;

o An alternate scheme to be devised in consultation with the AFL Fans Association Inc., representing the largest group of stakeholders in the game, the fans.

Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:43 am

Signed, it's the least I can do
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:48 am

It is also wrong that they are also selling the good seats in the AFL Member's area to the general public and making us members sit in the nose bleed section.
Neil Appleby Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:14 pm

The Seedsmeister wrote:
It is also wrong that they are also selling the good seats in the AFL Member's area to the general public and making us members sit in the nose bleed section.

Surely that can't be right. You say the AFL is profiteering at the expense of its own members? Don't AFL Members get first crack at seating? If what you say is correct Seedsmeister, then it is a scandal.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:20 pm

no afl members were disadvantaged. they have every opportunity to secure seats during the onsale. i think you'll find there are fewer hawthorn (and even fewer geelong) afl club support members than collingwood or carlton.

the afl advertised a large walk up section in the members area for the game. this is hardly as disturbing as people are trying to make it out to be.

it appeared to me the afl were actually trying to help ordinary club members by giving them access to seating. furthermore, i don't see the connection to variable ticket pricing. the argument seems a furphy to me.

collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:43 pm

John Wren wrote:
no afl members were disadvantaged. they have every opportunity to secure seats during the onsale. i think you'll find there are fewer hawthorn (and even fewer geelong) afl club support members than collingwood or carlton.

the afl advertised a large walk up section in the members area for the game. this is hardly as disturbing as people are trying to make it out to be.

it appeared to me the afl were actually trying to help ordinary club members by giving them access to seating. furthermore, i don't see the connection to variable ticket pricing. the argument seems a furphy to me.

Obviously you are a complete AFL plant John Wren! Evil or Very Mad

Keep up the good fight Joffa. Variable pricing is gouging and a disgrace. Have you thought about getting the ACCC to look into it?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:44 pm

AFL won’t listen
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:51 pm

collie dog wrote:
John Wren wrote:

Obviously you are a complete AFL plant John Wren! Evil or Very Mad

Keep up the good fight Joffa. Variable pricing is gouging and a disgrace. Have you thought about getting the ACCC to look into it?

fair enough, if you say so spin.

i don't mind if someone makes a case for something but i do like to see the facts used properly. as i understand it - and feel free to correct me - that the afl opened up their members' area to allow club members to get a seat to a game that was fast filling up.

i do like the afl's response to the matter when they say that next time they will not be so benevolent and will charge club members access to the members' area. good move i say; wouldn't want anyone getting something others aren't "entitled" to.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:53 pm

as an addendum, perhaps the league needs to explain the policy in simpler terms. this article has a crack:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-ticket-policy-continues-to-cause-disconnect-20140422-zqxsn.html

it's not the monster it is being portrayed as.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:06 pm

Signed
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:12 pm

John Wren wrote:
as an addendum, perhaps the league needs to explain the policy in simpler terms. this article has a crack:

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-ticket-policy-continues-to-cause-disconnect-20140422-zqxsn.html

it's not the monster it is being portrayed as.

Hmm, doesn't wash. So because Tom Hawkins is a bigger box office draw than Jake Spencer, we should pay more? But it doesn't even work that way in the movies. We don't pay more to see Tom Hanks than Mads Mikkelsen. It's the other way around!

If you want to see something that only 5 other people want to see, you will pay more. We're putting all of this on just for you Dogs and Saints supporters, you should pay a bit extra so we can make our money back. It's a boutique experience.

Now, when the ground is completely full and there are thousands more who want to pay (as in the American example the author was referencing), then sure, you can ask a premium. There's only one game in the AFL season where that's acceptable, and that's Anzac Day (talking Melbourne only). Other than that, this variable pricing sounds like a crock.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:08 pm

Quote:
Andrew Demetriou has admitted that the AFL must go back to the drawing board in a bid to rebrand and simplify its complex and wildly unpopular variable ticketing system.

Conceding the league had failed to adequately explain the new three-tiered system Demetriou said Tuesday’s head office review of round-five had resulted in AFL bosses admitting they had some work to do in redefining variable ticketing.

The AFL CEO, who listened to angry fans block the lines on 3AW during Easter Monday’s pre-game program, said he had become increasingly aware that attempts to explain the new system to football supporters had not worked.

''Maybe we’re better off not calling it variable ticketing,’' Demetriou said. ''I think we should just go back to what we had previously termed it, which was reserved seat ticketing.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-must-rethink-ticketing-andrew-demetriou-20140422-zqxvw.html#ixzz2zc1kbNfp

no doubt the in-game fluctuating pricing will thrill fans no end.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Signed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: