Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fingers crossed for Marley - And it worked!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Weed 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:19 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

3.14159 wrote:
The kids from a minority and has an excellent chance at rehabilitation and he's pleading guilty.
A suspended sentence and community work is a possibility.

Didn't plead guilty.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:36 pm

The consequences of his stupid act could have been a young man's death and eight years for manslaughter. Whatever he gets, he's lucky. I suspect he'll get three months. I hope he gets less.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:54 pm

The Weed wrote:

Didn't plead guilty.

I was misinformed. oops.

I still think there's good chance he'll get a suspended sentence.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:56 pm

I have no idea about Western Australian law, but I just have this feeling that Marley will get time.

Hopefully, for Marley's sake, most of it will be suspended, but I think he'll get jail time.

Regardless of what happens, I'm sure the club will stand by him. Even if he doesn't get jail time, you'd have to wonder what toll its taken on him mentally. Could be a while before he'd be OK to play anyway. No jail time wont mean he'd be ready to play in the seconds next week.

Steve86 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Mugwump wrote:
The consequences of his stupid act could have been a young man's death and eight years for manslaughter. Whatever he gets, he's lucky. I suspect he'll get three months. I hope he gets less.

you make it sound like this 'young man' was innocent not provoking or intimidating marley in anyway shape or form. Where as he was standing with his mates waiting for him... soooo.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:47 pm

Steve86 wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

you make it sound like this 'young man' was innocent not provoking or intimidating marley in anyway shape or form. Where as he was standing with his mates waiting for him... soooo.

The jury obviously didn't buy that story, so neither can the judge.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:54 pm

Defender wrote:
Steve86 wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

The jury obviously didn't buy that story, so neither can the judge.

The footage shows who made the first physical contact and that it was a punch which broke the recipient's jaw in several spots. After that, it's a question of whether the sentence can be suspended. I hope so, but I'm not expecting it. In any event, the consequences could have been much worse, for all concerned.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:02 pm

I'm of the belief he will get 9 months with between 6-8 months suspended and will have to continue with his community work and make a sizeable restitution payment to the victim.
If he was free to play in 3 months I would be very happy.
Justice served and his career not overly interrupted.
stoid Virgo

stoid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:50 pm

Look, I can't see Marley getting anything like 6 months in jail... especially considering Murray Newman got 6 months for how the judge explained it "You were the aggressor, not he... This was not a spontaneous or instinctive reaction to a situation you did not expect, but a consequence of you developing an antipathy towards Mr Marris over a period of time,"
In other words, he had time to calm down and settle his emotions, but rather chose to go somewhere where he knew the guy would be and attacked him... What made it even worse was that this was after weeks of threats from Newman on Facebook, including telling Mr Marris to "start digging a grave"
I honestly doubt Marley will get any time at all... at worst he'd get 1 month, but I can't see even that happening when comparing the two scenarios.

Anyway, good luck Marley... hope you've learnt something from this and that it all goes well for you.

The full article about Murray Newman can be read here:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/west-coast-eagle-murray-newman-jailed-over-perth-nightclub-fight-20140307-34c0m.html
melliot 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:24 am

I'm guessing he'll get a lengthy suspended sentence and will be back in the VFL next week or week after.

I don't see any benefit for the community to stick Marley in jail. I think it will be seen Marley has learnt a lesson more so than anyone else and jail time is more likely to do more harm to his rehabilitation than good. He is also an extreme low risk of re-offending imo.

Wait and see for actual outcome now.

If he gets any jail time, I think it will be devastating for him and is unlikely to play seniors this year even if he gets out in time. It will just be too much of a mental weight.

Wish him the best regardless. Not an advocate for what he did, but we all make mistakes.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:42 am

I agree that any jail time will probably spell the end of his season, although I would still wish for him to be back in the side ASAP (no better form of after-prison rehabilitation than returning to employment, in my view). At worst, I expect he will be back in the squad next year and would be very surprised and disappointed if that didn't happen.
Albow Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:00 am

Good luck Marley.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:38 am

i am hoping for a suspended sentence and ... for the supporters of other clubs to be outraged at the blatant favouristim afforded collingwood.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:18 am

Anywhere we can track this? A time?
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:27 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Anywhere we can track this? A time?

According to the court lists, the hearing will begin at 9:15am local time (11:15am on the east coast).

Seeing as they don't allow cameras and such into the courtroom, I would just keep an eye on Twitter. The news bulletins will also have it at some point after that as well...

Last edited by MagpieBat on Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12   

Jump to: