Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fingers crossed for Marley - And it worked!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Museman wrote:
"Judge Wager says it is unfortunate Williams chose to defend the natter through a trial given his remorse for the punch"

Very VERY strange statement given she suspended his sentence.

Not so strange really. What the judge is saying is that had Marley pleaded guilty he would have got off more lightly. That is what's "unfortunate". But, if you want to go for a not guilty plea, present a shit case of self defence, and fail to convince the jury, you are going to get a jail sentence. Would have been much better to plead guilty and not waste the court's time with a case of self-defence which he self-destroyed by his own police statement.

This is what happens when a big, rich football club bank-rolls a player's case in court. The lawyers make much more money out of a not guilty plea because it entails more court time. A quick and sensible guilty plea would have (1) got him a lighter sentence, (2) got him back playing AFL weeks ago, and (3) cost the club a heap less money.
Museman 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Woods wrote:
Museman wrote:
"Judge Wager says it is unfortunate Williams chose to defend the natter through a trial given his remorse for the punch"

Very VERY strange statement given she suspended his sentence.

Not so strange really. What the judge is saying is that had Marley pleaded guilty he would have got off more lightly. That is what's "unfortunate". But, if you want to go for a not guilty plea, present a shit case of self defence, and fail to convince the jury, you are going to get a jail sentence. Would have been much better to plead guilty and not waste the court's time with a case of self-defence which he self-destroyed by his own police statement.

I preface by saying I have very little idea how most parts of criminal law work at beyond a very basic level.

As an average joe in fact if I were Marley i'd have little idea of the point shes trying to make, I would be arguing (after watching the video footage) that I came outside to confront him over an earlier incident he moved toward me in what I deemed an aggressive manner and I threw, given what had happened earlier I expected a physical assault and was behaving in self defence.

I cannot possibly plead guilty under those circumstances.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:49 pm

Good
A great result for Marley and for us
Not sure we would have been so forgiving had he played for another club.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:53 pm

Thankful for this decision. Knuckle down now Marley and we'll see you back in a couple of weeks.
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:01 pm

neil wrote:
Good
A great result for Marley and for us
Not sure we would have been so forgiving had he played for another club.

I would have been
Hate that this is thrown in the gutless " coward punch" category.
Every aspect of this is a mistake with a hell of a lot of mitigating circumstances.

What I do want to know and have been asking - given the prosecution argued that Marley was assaulted in the toilets as motive AND the judge has agreed that he was in fact assaulted in the toilets - Why have no charges, minor or otherwise been levled against the 29 year old tool with his mates who assaulted a 19 year old ?

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:13 pm

Fantastic news , very suprised in WA , if he plays on ANZAC Day and the bummer fans carry on remind them of Hurley's indiscretion to the cabby.

www.facebook/the hybernators
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:16 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Fantastic news , very suprised in WA , if he plays on ANZAC Day and the bummer fans carry on remind them of Hurley's indiscretion to the cabby.

Not a snowflakes chance in hell he'll be in the seniors this week, let alone the VFL. IMO I think we'll find he will at the very least sit out this weekend and perhaps even one or two more weeks before coming back via 2-3 weeks in the VFL.

We also have to keep in mind that we're presuming he will return in as good a form as we remember! He may struggle due to the mental toll of everything that has gone on. Fingers crossed it's a smooth path back into the seniors.

buzzlightyear 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:29 pm

He hasn't played for what 8 weeks? Whilst not injured, I am wondering given his state of mind, how effective his training would have been.

I would have thought at least a month worth of games would be required before he comes into contention for the seniors.

His running and hardness of the half back line is a prerequisite for us to challenge the best teams. Let's make sue he is absolutely ready to come back.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:37 pm

A very very lucky boy....
MJ23 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:40 pm

She said she accepted the assault was not premeditated, that Williams was responding to an incident in the toilet and that he was later distressed by his reaction.
‘‘Had you been sober, had you been more mature, you would have let the matter drop,’’ Judge Wager said.
‘‘But for the aggression shown to you earlier, you would not have been involved in this matter.’’
The punch was "very forceful" but the victim had not been left with any long lasting effects of his injuries.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/collingwoods-marley-williams-avoids-jail-on-grievous-bodily-harm-charge-20140422-zqxri.html#ixzz2zaRYwius[quote]

Seems the circumstances leading up the the assault were taken into account - as they should have been

King Monkey 

Location: On a journey to seek the scriptures of enlightenment....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Nobody else wants to go there obviously, so ok, I will.........(now the verdict & sentencing has been handed down).........

Anyone else actually find this incident funny!!????
A 29 year old man antagonises and baits an 18 year old boy, waits with his mates outside the venue for this 18 year old boy, then gets his arse handed to him by the 18 year old boy.
Justice already served really!! Smile

Oh you are a dee-mon, I love to fiiight."
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:49 pm

I doubt we'll see him at senior level until after the bye.

Apart from needing to find form and match fitness it'll give the whole situation time to settle in the eyes of the public.

I'm tipping the home game against the eagles will see him recalled to the senior side.

Az 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:52 pm

So.... any carry over points?

Bad joke! Great to see the young lad get his life back on track. A couple of blinders in the magoos should see him slot right back in over the next couple of weeks. Yet another selection headache, absolutely loving it!
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:57 pm

swoop42 wrote:
I doubt we'll see him at senior level until after the bye.

Apart from needing to find form and match fitness it'll give the whole situation time to settle in the eyes of the public.

I'm tipping the home game against the eagles will see him recalled to the senior side.

Agreed... and I would add YOU BEAUTY!!! One of my favs... love his grunt!

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:13 pm

A great relief and, as difficult as it is to measure these things, a fair result. Hope we see him back on the field again very soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12   

Jump to: