Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mini-history wars

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:05 pm
Post subject: Mini-history warsReply with quote

Lola alerted me to this incident in which an academic at University of Melbourne managed to piss a lot of people off:

http://theconversation.com/academics-and-barbarians-why-one-article-aroused-russian-ire-25480#comment_359623

The petition to make him apologise has received 10,000 signatures and apparently made the news over in Europe. Here's the article that started it all:

http://m.theage.com.au/comment/russia-reveals-both-its-strength-and-weakness-in-the-invasion-of-ukraine-20140303-3409n.html

So, what's all this about? The outrage centres on the bolded bit below:

Timothy Lynch wrote:
From the terror of the Stalinist purges and the barbarity of the Russian invasion of Germany in 1944-45, through the suppression of the Hungarian uprising in 1956 and the laying waste of Chechnya in the 2000s, to the propping up of the Syrian regime today, Russia has been far more effective at suppressing civil society than facilitating it.

Now, Lynch seems to have a bit of an axe to wield here and some might say it's a bit harsh conflating the Russian reaction to German aggression with Soviet oppression of Czechoslovakia and elsewhere. Others have pointed out that to describe 1940s Germany as "civil society" is a bit weird (but not necessarily incorrect, I'd argue). But the rest of the reaction to this article has been insane; people in the Conversation comment thread discussing whether Lynch could be charged under racial vilification law and 10,000 calling for him to apologise.

What's crazy about the whole controversy is that Lynch's phrasing was not "awkward" or "ill-considered"—it's actually spot-on.

Q: Did Russia invade Germany?
A: Yes. It's true that it was a retaliation, but it was still very much an invasion. Once the Russian army had defended its homeland and driven the Nazis back, it proceeded to march all the way to Berlin (German sovereign territory, obviously). Russia practically controlled East Germany through a proxy government for the next 45 years—they weren't just stopping by for scones and tea. If that's not an invasion, what is?

Q: Was the Russian army's invasion of Germany "barbaric"?
A: Yes, unfortunately very much so. This Wikipedia article gives a brief overview:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_during_the_occupation_of_Germany

Quote:
Most published and most numerous are the rapes committed by Soviet servicemen, for which estimates range from hundreds of thousands to two million.

When questioned about this, Stalin downplayed it as soldiers just blowing off a bit of steam. It seems his fellow apologists are still out in force

The comments on the Conversation article suggest that I'm in the minority and that most people think Lynch should have worded the sentence better or left the reference out altogether. What do you think? Do you take issue with his use of the words "barbaric" or "invasion"?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right, but when you play the 'hurt feelings' game then expect it to expand. Also he missed one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor

Soviet Russia was a brutal, evil, disgusting regime and I don't think allying with them and protecting them from Nazi Germany was a terribly wise decision (likely necessary to defeat Germany, but I don't think there was a lesser of those two evils). There's a reason that many from Churchill to Patton to MacArthur were wanting to keep the tanks rolling and take them out too.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:56 am

David, your grasp of modern European history as evidenced by this post is, frankly, entirely lacking. It was stupid and ludicrous for a supposed historian to use that term in that context. The reality was - and this is very well-known and abundantly evidenced - that the Soviet Union became involved, through no fault of its own in a war of unimaginable ferocity. Such things rapidly acquire a momentum of their own. The barbarity of the Nazi invasion is unquestioned, and no-one with any understanding of the history of that era would seriously question the fact that strong measures were desperately needed to save the people of the Soviet Union from it.

And save you and me from it, let us not forget. You, David From Canberra, live and breathe a free man today because of the heroism and appalling sacrifice of the people of the Soviet
Union. In that desperate war against two of the most evil and barbaric regimes ever to have existed, regimes which had every intention of enslaving the entire world and the means to do so, the Soviet Union did most of the heavy lifting. The Soviet Union suffered far worse civilian and military losses, put many, many more troops into the field, and took on, suffered dredfully from, and eventually defeated roughly two-thirds of Hitler's entire war effort - as compared to the British Empire, the United States, and various others who, between all of them, took only the remaining one-third. In what is today Russia, that conflict's name is The Great Patriotic War. In their eyes, it was a war between the Soviet Union and the Nazis, with the other Allies playing only bit parts. That's not an unfair point of view. The Soviet Union saved the world. Others played a part - the United States and the British Empire very significant and vital parts - but the people of the Soviet Union died like flies and in doing so made your life today possible. Never forget that.

Did the Soviet Union commit atrocities in response to those committed by the Nazis? Of course it did. So did Great Britan. So did the United States. Were those atrocities worse than or on a greater scale than those committed by the other Allies? No doubt. But then there were far more Soviets in the conflict (they did most of the fighting) and the suffering inflicted on the Soviets by the Nazis was far, far worse than that which Hitler was able to inflict on the Empire or the USA. Above all, they occurred in a climate already poisoned by the incredibly brutal Nazis.

To describe the Soviet response to Nazi barbarity as if it was an isolated, independent act, free of historical context and without so much as mentioning that it was no more than a like-for-like response rooted in self-defence and deep, heartfelt anger, hurt, and disgust at the Nazi atrocities is the sort of gross academic misjudgment which would get a first year history paper marked down heavily and a third year paper failed.

To describe the successful Soviet defence of its own people and territory - and of yours and mine too, let us not forget - as an "invasion" with the clear implication that this was an unnecessary and unexpected action rather than an inevitable response to gross Nazi aggression and a crucially needed conclusion to a long and desperate battle to survive is simply unforgivable.

The outrage against Lynch's stupidity is fully justified. No-one with views so blinkered, ahistorical, and out of touch with historical reality should be employed in an academic capacity by any reputable university. If the willful, bigoted ignorance shown in this newspaper article is a fair sample of Lynch's work, you have to ask how he managed to find academic employment in the first place.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:52 am

All that you say in the first three paragraphs is on the historical record and I am well aware of it. It all seems beside the point, however—his reference to Russian barbarity in Eastern Germany is in isolation correct and in the context of the broader paragraph questionable (though, I think, defensible).

"Invasion" means exactly what it says on the tin. The connotations you give the word—that it means "pre-emptive" and "unnecessary"—are simply not meanings that it carries or has ever carried. As for whether it should have been footnoted, why? No historical event is isolated. All have their reasons, justified or otherwise (and I hope you're not going to argue that the rape of around a million German women was justified).

I think it's perfectly acceptable to speak of the Russian invasion of East Germany in 1944-45 without context, because anyone who doesn't understand the basic context there probably doesn't even know where Russia is on the map or what day of the week it is. Insisting on mandatory footnotes (e.g. something like "which was, admittedly, a retaliation against Germany's own brutal invasion" or "but it wasn't quite as bad as what happened in Belorussia or Dresden or Hiroshima") just seems like euphemistic whitewashing. A bit like this, really:

Joseph Stalin wrote:
"Can't he [a Yugoslav partisan leader] understand it if a soldier who has crossed thousands of kilometers through blood and fire and death has fun with a woman or takes some trifle?"

Fact: the Russian army committed barbaric acts during its invasion of Germany in the last twelve months of World War 2 (and in the ensuing occupation). Anyone who can't handle that fact in isolation is, I can only presume, committed to a sanitised version of history for some reason or other. My guess is that the reason, for most of the 10,000-strong outraged, is that anything else would undermine the nationalistic propaganda portraying Russian resistance to Nazi invasion and eventual conquest of Eastern Europe as being glorious and always morally upright. Not having a go at Russians in particular—we have exactly the same war myths here. Anyone who can give those sacred cows a kick along the way gets a gold star in my book.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:36 am

Russia invaded Poland at the same time as Nazi Germany did, it invaded Finland years before that. To try and place them as an unwitting victim of Nazi aggression is stupid and naive. Germany was as worried about a Soviet invasion of Europe as Russia was worried about an invasion coming from the west.

These were two belligerent, aggressive, expansive empires and superpowers of their era. History is indeed written by the victors, and some people just lap that shit up. The Soviet regime had been committing genocide and massacring it's own people for decades before Hitler even came to power.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:17 am

David, you are still writing about the "Russian invasion of Germany" as if it was something the Soviets "decided to do", rather than dealing with the fact that it was a necessary and utterly vital part of their defence against gross aggression, and of our safety from that Nazi aggression. You really need to gain some understanding of history.

Wokko, you are so busy finding things to hate about the Soviets that you have distorted the facts so far as to make your post almost meaningless. Learn some bloody history FFS instead of making idealogically-driven assumptions. In reality, the Soviet Union was hopelessly unready for the Nazi invasion; had no idea it was coming, and was so confident that it would not come that they dismantled much of their western defence system. In that invasion, the Soviets lost the entirety of their commonwealth west of Asia, including most of their economic assets and vast numbers of their people. A rough equivalent would be for us to loose Victoria, South Australia and New South Wales.

Was Stalin a nice bloke? Hell no. He was a brutal oaf. But Stalin and his people did more good for the world than anyone else in that era. You are alive and free today more because of the sacrifice and heroism of Stalin's people than for any other reason.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Wokko wrote:
Russia invaded Poland at the same time as Nazi Germany did, it invaded Finland years before that. To try and place them as an unwitting victim of Nazi aggression is stupid and naive. Germany was as worried about a Soviet invasion of Europe as Russia was worried about an invasion coming from the west.

Poor innocent Poland.

http://blogcritics.org/poland-joined-hitler-in-dismembering-czechoslovakia/
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:55 pm

Tannin wrote:
David, you are still writing about the "Russian invasion of Germany" as if it was something the Soviets "decided to do", rather than dealing with the fact that it was a necessary and utterly vital part of their defence against gross aggression, and of our safety from that Nazi aggression.

Obviously all sides decided to occupy Berlin and the rest of Germany at the close of World War 2. I'm no military strategist or historian, so I can't say for sure whether it would have been pure idiocy for the European nations to simply defend their own homelands to pre-1939 borders and leave a broken Germany to its own devices—but that obviously was a possibility; instead, they decided to invade.

I'm not sure why we're still quibbling over the definition of a word that was used entirely correctly. To get away from the Russian context, would I be wrong to refer to the Allied invasion of West Germany at the close of WW2? Why or why not? If you think I would be, you'd better send a note to the editors of Wikipedia, because they've clearly screwed up:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Allied_invasion_of_Germany

And I am well aware of the vast Russian sacrifice in World War 2 and the likelihood of Nazi victory if it hadn't been for Russian efforts on the Eastern front. I'm not sure why you keep bringing it up—I'm not the one here arguing that the word "invasion" carries any moral judgement or other connotations.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:46 pm

In the end these debates are always lost in the anthropomorphising of empty constructs like "nation", "country" and "people". These entities have no morality in and of themselves, yet such debates keep ascribing moral properties to them. You simply can't move seamlessly between individual morality and "mass morality" and pretend you're talking sense. (Note, "mass morality" is quite different from meaningful statistical constructs such as "standard of living", "safety", "stability", and so on).

When we talk about "wrongdoing", we have to decide what sort of "wrongdoing" we're dealing with: Classical individual wrongdoing, forced wrongdoing, wrongdoing necessitated or incited by context, a strategic eye-for-an-eye wrongdoing, some mix of these, and so on. But the minute we ascribe personal wrongdoing to some dumb mass entity like a country is the minute we're accusing all kinds of innocent or plain ignorant/unaware/unresourced/unstable/un~ people of "wrongdoing".

If we're serious these are really useless conversations to start with, hence they never result in anything but louder claims of "wrongdoing". The best we can say IMO is that certain actions, policies, responses and situations are better or worse, more or less desireable. Leave both the individual focus and mass anthropomorphising out of it.

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:03 pm

David, are you suggesting the allies should have stopped at the bordersand hoped the good Nazis would have released all the POWS and the Gypsies and Jews in concentration camps after a good hearty meal and a train ticket home. And not destroyed evidence of war crimes or tried to escape with falsified papers.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:08 pm

That David is a cool dude.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:48 pm

In one night 100,000 Japanese civilians were killed during fire bombing on Tokyo, where is the outrage about what we helped the Americans to do?

Or the Nazi concentration camps?

Or what the Japanese did to Aussies during the building of the Burma Railway?

Gee this kind of shit shits me.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:55 pm

David wrote:
I'm no military strategist or historian, so I can't say for sure whether it would have been pure idiocy for the European nations to simply defend their own homelands to pre-1939 borders and leave a broken Germany to its own devices

The bold bit is glaringly obvious - as is the red bit too.

David wrote:
but [stopping at the 1939 border] obviously was a possibility

And here ^ is the living proof. It was not a possibility. Not remotely a possibility. Not militarily and not politically. It would have been the most incredibly stupid decision in military history. This truth was so obvious to all the participants that to the best of my knowledge absolutely no-one even gave it a passing thought, not amongst the Allies and not on the Axis side either. Nor has anyone with the slightest clue about history every questioned it since.

David wrote:
And I am well aware of the vast Russian sacrifice in World War 2 and the likelihood of Nazi victory if it hadn't been for Russian efforts on the Eastern front.

Really? You don't seem to have even the weakest grasp on the history of the time. No shame in that, we all have areas we know a bit about and things we don't know anything at all about, but it is important to be able to tell the difference.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:07 pm

1061 wrote:
In one night 100,000 Japanese civilians were killed during fire bombing on Tokyo, where is the outrage about what we helped the Americans to do?

Or the Nazi concentration camps?

Or what the Japanese did to Aussies during the building of the Burma Railway?

Just so. Your point is well taken. I draw Nicksters' attention to your well-informed choice of the non-obvious and relatively little-known example of the Tokyo Fire Raids, for which it is difficult to find justification, as opposed to the obvious and spectacular examples of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki atom bombs which at the time unquestionably seemed to be a way to save lives overall, and which the 20-20 hindsight of historical analysis has demonstrated pretty conclusively did just that.

(You could have added the entirely pointless and terrible Allied destruction of Dresden to your list, but perhaps three examples were enough to make the point.)

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:23 pm

ronrat wrote:
David, are you suggesting the allies should have stopped at the bordersand hoped the good Nazis would have released all the POWS and the Gypsies and Jews in concentration camps after a good hearty meal and a train ticket home. And not destroyed evidence of war crimes or tried to escape with falsified papers.

And not just that: they had a hugely competent military organisation with the best-trained, most effective army in the world, plentiful manpower (much of it the slave labour of Eastern Europeans (specially Poles) and captured Soviet citizens, but highly skilled and effective domestic labour too), and massive productive capacity which was little affected by the terrible Allied bombing campaign (which mostly served to deliver death and heartbreak to the civilian population). They had vastly superior technology coming on-line which the Allies could not match (rockets, a variety of jet fighters and bombers, deadly new-model indetectable submarines just coming into service and already in mass production on a huge scale, and an active nuclear weapons research program. For decades after the war, German technology captured after the fall of Hitler led the way, in submarines (the entire worldwide fleet was scrapped and rebuilt along the lines of the newly-developed German models), in aircraft design, in tank design, small arms, and especially rocketry - the Soviet space program, the moon landings, and the Soviet, American and British intercontinental ballistic missiles that stood ready to deliver nuclear warheads anywhere in the world through the '50s and '60s were directly based on the technology Germany had already developed in 1945.

Giving military respite to that formidable opponent would have been unthinkably stupid.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6   

Jump to: