Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

2-3 vs top 9 - only 1 game vs top 5

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:06 pm
Post subject: 2-3 vs top 9 - only 1 game vs top 5Reply with quote

everyone has been banging on about our very difficult draw, but that assessment was made based on last years's form and not this years it seems.

In fact we have played only 1 game against a top 5 team (an out of form Sydney).

another fact is that we are 2-3 against teams in the top 5 (wins against Syd and North) and losses against Geelong, Freo and Adelaide.

In our 6 games against teams in the bottom 9 we have handled our business.

Based on the above, have we really proved anything about ourselves up to this point?

Breadcrawl 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I recall Defender saying that we couldn't be taken seriously until we started putting inferior opposition to the sword.

So we obliterate the Saints and now the quality of the opposition is inadequate.

You blokes are going to question our form until we beat the best team four weeks in a row. Even if that was possible, after we beat them the first week you'd be bringing their credentials into question - because we beat them.

If you are going to dismiss the win against Sydney because they were then out of form, then you have to go back and look at the form each of the other teams were in when we beat them. Or lost to them by ten points, for example.

Otherwise you are trying to have it both ways and that isn't like you at all E Wink

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:40 pm
Post subject: Re: 2-3 vs top 9 - only 1 game vs top 5Reply with quote

E wrote:

Based on the above, have we really proved anything about ourselves up to this point?

I think we've proven that we are a serious contender when we play our best footy. There's been a few lapses and some of the injuries haven't helped (I think Reid is very, very important to our whole structure) but overall I'm pleased with the way our young team has progressed.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:40 pm

The home and away season isn't about "proving" anything, anyway. It's about getting enough wins to get into the finals, where things may or may not be proved when it matters.
September Zeros 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:52 pm

Win loss is what it is IMO. If we win enough games to make finals we deserve to be there. It doesn't matter who's in form, out of form or missing players etc etc because we have our own form slumps and highs and injury concerns. We're doing just fine. Not premiership material yet (EG DE), but for those of us who realistically looked ahead at the year and thought top 8 would be a good result for our developing youngsters we're doing fine, no matter who we have played.

If anything I'd say we've surpassed my own expectations so far for 2014. If we fell away I wouldn't be surprised nor would I be overly disappointed.

As far the draw is concerned I think the comps so even it wouldn't matter what it was it would be tough.

They used to be a happy team at hawthorn.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:04 pm

We can only beat who is presented in front of us.

After Round 13 we play the Hawks twice GCS away and Port at the MCG. Those 4 games will tell us a lot about how far we may go in 2014.

But on the flip side as I have said before 2014 was seen by many as another development year so a finals berth 5-8 was considered a good season if achieved. The fact that we are in the top 4 heading into the halfway mark of the season has us above where many expected us to be.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:06 pm

Gee, hindsight is a marvelous thing isn't it.

Pre-season there was speculation we could end up 0-7 going into the bye based on the quality of the opposition. That we managed to make it to the bye 5-2 speaks to the quality of our squad. I'll take 7-3 any day of the week. I've said all along we could end up 4-10 on the ladder at seasons end depending upon how things transpire so for mine we're actually doing very nicely.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:27 pm

Exactly. I have no idea why most here reject or deny the notion that we are a developing team this year under Buck's and probably ahead of our time in our development considering being 7- 3 instead of 3-7. As for utter bloody rubbish like we only beat the Swans because they were out of form, well the very same argument could be used saying that Collingwood lost the 3 games only because WE were out of form...... Rolling Eyes

As a development year, we are developing brilliantly as a good team at the moment. Exclamation

Any finals activity and wins will be a fantastic bonus. Cool
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:03 pm

So I gather you think we are in a development year then Lazza? Teams are always developing albeit some have less players at their 'peak'... however I would think that with...

Swan, Pendles, Beams, Herry, Ball, Sidey in the middle

Tooves, Williams, Maxy down back... with Goldy and Young as back up's

Cloke, White, Blair, Reid, Elliot, Faz up forward

We have enough experienced players (17 on my list) to aid the young guys as they get better each week to challenge come finals time.

7ft Cox 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:13 pm

Another year of development for Faz, Elliot, Williams, Langdon, Thomas, Witts, Grundy, Keefe, Seeds will not hurt. 2015 for me
yin-YANG 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:25 pm

Of course it (more experience) wouldn't hurt - it will only help those guys - but we have plenty at their peak right now and a few over their best - Ball, Swan, Maxy who can still provide quality - this year!

Reid and Brown were pretty much the same as Frost and Keefe in 2010 - very raw and holding down the Key Positions down back!

And the other area we are Green would be the ruck - which is covered with young guys when you look at the other contenders and what rucks do!

I am not writing off this year at all - our young guys can improve a lot with the amount of quality experience around them and a few years now adjusting to Buckley's plan!

Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:32 pm

yin-YANG wrote:
So I gather you think we are in a development year then Lazza? Teams are always developing albeit some have less players at their 'peak'... however I would think that with...

We have enough experienced players (17 on my list) to aid the young guys as they get better each week to challenge come finals time.

You make a very fair point YY. My take is that in a few areas like with the ruck, we need more experience to win a flag. We also need to settle our defence against the very top sides, and learn to play more consistent footy.
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I reckon it is totally and utterly beyond them to win it this year. In fact just like every Collingwood supporter, I fervently hope they do. It is that I reckon in another year or two with more games under the belts of the 12 or so younger members of this team, we will be FAR better placed to seriously challenge for the flag.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:47 pm

This is like the 'haven't beaten anyone above us on the ladder' that I kept hearing a few years ago when we're sitting in the top 4. Some people just want to have a moan.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:50 pm

yin-YANG wrote:

I actually think we've been developing since 2010. A look at the turnover on our list supports that. We still could have impacted in finals in 2011 and 2012 but were more vulnerable to injuries due to the age profile of our squad and the disappointing contributions of some of the mature aged players we've brought in.

Definitely haven't placed any limitations on what might be acheived, but won't be shattered if we don't bat deep into the finals.

As you've pointed out we do have a solid group of experienced players although I do question the inclusion of Williams, Elliott and Fas into that goup as they're still to reach the 50 games mark.

What will define our season though is how the kids like Langdon, Thomas, Keeffe, Frost, Adams, Grundy, Witts, Seedsman, Broomhead, Sinclair, Karnezis, Oxley, Freeman and Scharenberg can impact over the season.

Along with the 3 guys you'd already listed it appears that Langdon, Keeffe, Frost, Grundy, Witts and Seedsman are ready to take the next step but who knows what the others may be able to add when they get their chances.

Great reason for optimism.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:18 pm

Wokko wrote:
This is like the 'haven't beaten anyone above us on the ladder' that I kept hearing a few years ago when we're sitting in the top 4. Some people just want to have a moan.

No I disagree and your accusation is grossly unfair and harsh. I don’t want to "have a moan" dude. I just want to rationally discuss an opinion that this team needs a bit more time to develop into a Premiership team. Agree or disagree but don’t label it as moaning, I would have thought that it is a perfectly normal footy issue to discuss on a footy opinion board..... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: