Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Fish on Good Friday - No meat.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you do the Fish only on Good Friday, no meat.
Yes
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
No
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
I'm vegetablearian so I don't care
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
All Fridays are good, what is this special one?
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 20

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:50 pm
Post subject: Fish on Good Friday - No meat.Reply with quote

Do you do this? Only eat fish on Good Friday and no meat? If yes, Why? (religious reasons are sufficient if you are religious, no need to go into detail)

I was bought up with this tradition, in an otherwise non-religious family. When told I had to eat smoked cod for dinner because it was Good Friday and couldn't eat anything resembling edible food was not one of the high points of my childhood.

It's something that i personally haven't observed for 30 years and the few times I was at my mums on Good Friday and she tried to push the smoked cod argument, I simply told her to cook whatever the hell she wanted to, I'd get myself a steak out of the freezer cos I wasn't eating that orange shite ever again.

So, who still does the fish only good friday routine and why?

EBB 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I was brought up that way too in a very relaxed Christian culture. But these days it means bugger all to me. Fish, hamburgers (sorry, beefburgers) etc etc.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:13 pm

For those not versed in vegetarian theology, a vegetablearian is someone who holds that broccoli is superior to cabbage, which in turn is superior to lettuce, as opposed to thinking they're all different yet somehow one. Razz

(I know that was an intentional corruption of the term, Stui, I just couldn't resist the theological allusion given you mentioned Easter).

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:19 pm

pietillidie wrote:
For those not versed in vegetarian theology, a vegetablearian is someone who holds that broccoli is superior to cabbage, which in turn is superior to lettuce, as opposed to thinking they're all different yet somehow one. Razz

(I know that was an intentional corruption of the term, Stui, I just couldn't resist the theological allusion given you mentioned Easter).

Yet Brussel Sprouts cause the most dissention. Some theologies have them near the top, most have them lower than the mashed vegetable that the 6 month old shits into their nappy.

Thanks for playing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:20 pm

I've got some fish in the freezer might as well cook it tomorrow as any day.

But I'm not sold on it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Yes but I really like fish, and I get to get good salmon!

I'm sure I've eaten meat on Good Friday in the past, but not since my kids were christened.

Why?

Why not

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:26 pm

1061 wrote:

But I'm not sold on it.

As an old fisho, let me warn that taste-wise, nothing deteriorates faster in the freezer than fish. Truckloads of secret herbs and spices will be needed to resuscitate it!

EBB 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 pm

1061 wrote:

But I'm not sold on it.
Eat some meat, you know you want to.

Happy Good Thursday everyone Smile

Last edited by EBB on Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:29 pm

pietillidie wrote:
1061 wrote:

But I'm not sold on it.

As an old fisho, let me warn that taste-wise, nothing deteriorates faster in the freezer than fish. Truckloads of secret herbs and spices will be needed to resuscitate it!

But it's an ALDI special bulk buy, shirley smothering it in white sauce chives and parsley will be enough.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:38 pm

growing up we observed the no meat rule. once i left home all bets were off.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:50 pm

think positive wrote:

I don't get Salmon. After 28 years of not eating fish at all I started experimenting and found I could eat tinned tuna quite easily, some fish (barra, Hake, flake) easily with the level of "like" dependent on the fish. Fresh Barra very nice, fish and chip shop flake or hake, edible in the same sense the lid off a pizza box is edible.

Salmon tastes crap. Nothing about it turns me on. It's like the pretty version of smoked cod, regardless how it looks it tastes like it should bypass the mouth and digestive system and go straight from plate to toilet.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:50 pm

Of course not.

Mind you, I don't eat all that much meat anyway. Last meat I had was ... er ... pizza for lunch on Monday. Well, if you call that stuff they put on pizza "meat", which it probably isn't. Nice pizza just the same - anything with olives and ancovies can't be too far wrong. So I quite possibly won't have any meat on Good Friday. On the other hand, I'm partial to roast lamb .... so who knows?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:20 pm

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

I don't get Salmon. After 28 years of not eating fish at all I started experimenting and found I could eat tinned tuna quite easily, some fish (barra, Hake, flake) easily with the level of "like" dependent on the fish. Fresh Barra very nice, fish and chip shop flake or hake, edible in the same sense the lid off a pizza box is edible.

Salmon tastes crap. Nothing about it turns me on. It's like the pretty version of smoked cod, regardless how it looks it tastes like it should bypass the mouth and digestive system and go straight from plate to toilet.

Oh Stui nothing like quality well cooked (medium rare) fresh wild salmon! Me and junior had it at downtown Disney in Orlando every 2nd day at the rainforest cafe! Just unbelievable, they cooked it perfect. If the steak hadn't been so amazing and juicy I would have had the salmon every day!

EBB 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:29 pm

think positive wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:

Oh Stui nothing like quality well cooked (medium rare) fresh wild salmon! Me and junior had it at downtown Disney in Orlando every 2nd day at the rainforest cafe! Just unbelievable, they cooked it perfect. If the steak hadn't been so amazing and juicy I would have had the salmon every day!
Bollocks! This medium rare bisso has got to stop. Cook it all the way through, lightly seasoned and hit it with some lemon, yum yum.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:57 pm

I thought we would have fish tomorrow ..........

only cause I don't eat red meat anymore Razz

But cause every man and his conditioned dog decides fish is the go and I can't be arsed with the queues - we will have vegetarian spaghetti instead!!

When I used to eat meat - would have to tell mum a little fib every Easter about the dining menu - bloody Irish Catholics!

Bingo EBB - well cooked with cracked pepper, sea salt and fresh lemon squeezed over the top with herbed tatties - yum yum!

And so true PTID - fresh is the only way!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: