Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is our lack of leg speed in the midfield a worry?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:54 pm
Post subject: Is our lack of leg speed in the midfield a worry?Reply with quote

With Swan, Pendles and Beams arguably the best mid combination going around, I wonder if this disguises a major weakness in our team - our lack of midfield speed. Once you add McCaffer, Ball, Blair and Sidey into our midfield rotations, I reckon that only Swan out of those 7 midfielders is genuinely quick.

So what's the solution?
As good as he's been, and as courageous as he is, I think it's time we drew the curtains on the career of Luke Ball - except for when it's raining! Adams is much faster, just as fearless and is a better (though not fantastic) kick. I think we also need to find a spot for Josh Thomas. He gives us more flexibility than Blair imo.

Obviously, we're all hoping that Freeman will be available later in the year, but as each week goes by, that's beginning to look like a faint hope.

In defence, we could do with an infusion of pace as well. I'm still not sold on Young, so maybe Sinkers should be considered. Toovey has lost a yard since his knee surgery and maybe Fasolo should take his spot.

Overall, we look a bit one paced atm and could do with an infusion of speed in the midfield and in defence.
slydog81 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bucks should get some games into BKennedy.

Freeman is meant to be pretty quick too.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:04 pm

Josh Thomas will become a Luke Ball clone, why Caolon Mooney will win his next race at Sandown park.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Scribe 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Leg speed is one of the most horribly-overrated things in football.

Apart from Cyril Rioli, can you name me any lightning-quick blokes at Hawthorn?

Yes, every team requires a few blokes who break the lines and leg speed is a fine commodity to have, but give me the guys who can run all day over the ones who look flashy for 30 metres.

Some of the changes I agree with, but not because of leg speed.

Luke Ball would be well aware that as Thomas and Adams develop, his Collingwood career is nearing the end.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:11 pm

Scribe wrote:
Leg speed is one of the most horribly-overrated things in football.

Apart from Cyril Rioli, can you name me any lightning-quick blokes at Hawthorn?

Yes, every team requires a few blokes who break the lines and leg speed is a fine commodity to have, but give me the guys who can run all day over the ones who look flashy for 30 metres.

Some of the changes I agree with, but not because of leg speed.

Luke Ball would be well aware that as Thomas and Adams develop, his Collingwood career is nearing the end.

Good Post , Bally is a warrior for our club and will teach both these lads a heap. I still think Mooney is at least worth a chance at senior level sometime this year if a spot opens but as it stands it is tough for him which is a nice problem to have.

www.facebook/the hybernators
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:13 pm

Ayuh. That is a generalization.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:31 pm

How's that saying go: like a Rudeboy with a bone? Wink

If pace is a concern, it's more of a concern on the outside than the inside. Ball's position has the least reliance on speed of any in the team. If we think others have gone passed him (not seen evidence of it yet), then sure, let's replace him, but not simply for a lack of speed. The Saints made a similar mistake.

Adams is not overly quick himself, Thomas I think is more so, but again no speedster. Are we more flexible with Thomas in the team? What position can he play other than inside mid? Blair has played both forward and middle, Thomas has really only ever been a mid. I don't like the mix with Thomas and Adams in the team. Two inside players without great pace, flexibility or ball usage. For the moment Ball is ahead of both till they prove otherwise. Their performances this year have not done it yet.

I'd maybe look to fit in one of Adams or Thomas alongside Ball, but even that's not easy in terms of balance. As you say, we lack a bit of pace, bringing in another slower type isn't the answer.

So, one of Thomas or Adams would be ok if we can fit them in. But what I'm really looking forward to is bringing in the quicker, rangier types who can use the ball: players like Seedsman and Broomhead, or of a slightly different type, Kennedy, Fasolo, Freeman, Karnezis...

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:51 pm

Our midfield has been criticised for lack of leg speed since the mid 2000's and then we won a flag. No use having leg speed if you don't get the pill...and ours get it.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:24 pm

^^Not so much this year. A ranking of 14th in clearances is one of our problems, as the erstwhile David Cloke recently pointed out Wink.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:35 pm

I agree with Rudie.

There's a whiff of O'Bree circa 2010 about Ball and Blair both in how there playing and those defending them.

I prefer the combination of Adams and one of Thomas or Kennedy.

Beast 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:41 pm

There's a distinct lack of speed in the whole side if you ask me.
Yes sides like the Hawks aren't stacked with roadrunners but their precise and sharp ball movement more than makes up for it, we can't do that either.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:51 pm

Marsh, Mooney, Freeman, Broomhead, Kennedy, Sinclair are all quick.... sadly, none of them are in the seniors...

Think our recruiting has identified the issue and tried to address it, just need to be patient.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:14 pm

Yeah we've definitely drafted for the need. Another focus has been on drafting more powerful kicks for the back half. We haven't yet seen it all come together because of injury, but the stocks are there.

So yes, I'm with Rudeboy on bringing in more pace. I don't think the main position of need is our primary extractor though, and bringing in Thomas or Adams for Ball isn't going to help any. Neither are all that quick and the role does not demand that they be so. There is a case for replacing Ball with a younger player, but it's not over lack of pace.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Damien wrote:
Our midfield has been criticised for lack of leg speed since the mid 2000's and then we won a flag. No use having leg speed if you don't get the pill...and ours get it.

Don't underestimate the speed of Daisy back then. He was our best finals player remember. We don't have anyone of that ilk in our team atm. And people tend to forget that Leon Davis was super quick as well. All Premiership teams have a couple of super quick players who can break the lines. right atm we don't have one......except maybe Swan.....but even he is slowing down imo.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Thu May 22, 2014 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
melliot 

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:50 pm

Plenty of examples of mid paced teams winning flags. Cats won three flags and besides Varco were pretty mid paced.

Winning the ball and quick reactions are more valuable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: