Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

It’s black and white: Daisy’s no Blue

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

MagpieMad wrote:
lol suffer in their jocks, the whole lot of them!

For those of us in the vast majority here who hate the scum, we LOVE this stuff..... Twisted Evil
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:48 pm

It couldn't happen to nicer club.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:49 pm

While I now hate Thomas with a passion, I felt a bit sad reading that.

Such a waste. He could have finished his career a club legend. Now, his career will peter out, as just another player.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:06 pm

Doc63 wrote:

I didn't. This is all his own choice.

#SIDEBYSIDE
Doc63 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:20 pm

mandy wrote:
Doc63 wrote:

I didn't. This is all his own choice.

I know. I think its more about my memories of him playing for us - they'll never be the same.

EBB 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:24 pm

Doc63 wrote:

Such a waste. He could have finished his career a club legend. Now, his career will peter out, as just another player.
Not a waste at all, he is washed up and it worked nicely for Collingwood. Let him enjoy his millions and let Collingwood reap the future rewards Very Happy
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:30 pm

I thought it was actually quite a good article as it hits on a few different points.

Daisy may well come good in the latter half of the season, but will the Carlton fans ever really adopt him? They're already rioting against MM, having his favoured player come in from the hated opposition on big money will not be going down well.

The other and main point is, for the money they're paying Daisy, he isn't the player their list needed. At his best he's a very good onballer but Carlton have been recruiting onballers non stop for years, they're falling out of the cracks at Princes park.

What they need is some decent KPP. Daisy may be basically the same height as Brereton but he isn't going to play CHF for them in the modern era, so recruiting him has all the hallmarks of getting someone for the wrong reasons.

Other Collingwood players have gone to Carlton before, most of them went when they were busted up and beyond their use by date. Only 1 (scotland) IIRC has been actually serviceable over any reasonable period of time.

Invest the cash well Daisy, if things don't change you may well have taken the short term gain and shot your long term gain right in the arse.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:40 pm

stui magpie wrote:
so recruiting him has all the hallmarks of getting someone for the wrong reasons.

That's what they do best. Look at all their #1 draft picks. They chose the player that they read in the Herald Sun was #1 whether they needed that type of player or not. Mostly not.

They would have to be near the top of dumbest recruiters in the last 10 years. Not that I mind. I hope it continues.

#SIDEBYSIDE
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:42 pm

It's a poor article, because at its core is a guess without evidence: that Daisy's not fitting in and is not well liked by players or fans. Stui's post above is far more reasonable. Though for me it was simple: Carlton had money and needed a quality player. You take what's available. Whether Daisy was the best available or not is another question, but he certainly wasn't far from it.

There are perfectly understandable reasons for why Thomas's form is not great. He's coming off a long layoff and playing at a new club that's struggling. Reaching further than that is simply not necessary. In fact, the player this article glosses over as "accepted by all", would be a more appropriate target, and that's Buddy.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:10 pm

mandy wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
so recruiting him has all the hallmarks of getting someone for the wrong reasons.

That's what they do best. Look at all their #1 draft picks. They chose the player that they read in the Herald Sun was #1 whether they needed that type of player or not. Mostly not.

They would have to be near the top of dumbest recruiters in the last 10 years. Not that I mind. I hope it continues.

Snap. I don't know why they pay their recruiting department, a 14 year old with internet access and no knowledge of AFL could do equally as well.

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:42 pm
Post subject: Re: It’s black and white: Daisy’s no BlueReply with quote

Quote:
And the fans? Well, it will take something pretty special to erase the memory of Daisy’s exploits as a Magpie – but I’m sure that many would just settle for some signs of effort to start with.

Thomas was anonymous for much of Saturday’s clash with Melbourne, just another close-cropped midfield clogger in a side replete with them.

If he’s misplaced his form, that’s one thing, but if he can’t locate a bit of ticker, then Collingwood’s half-hearted attempt to retain his services starts to hint at a deeper malaise: fitness problems, a lack of love for the game, or maybe just old-fashioned avarice.

Daisy hasn't shown any passion on the footy field for years, obviously this journalist never watched much Collingwood in the past
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:23 am

David wrote:
Damien wrote:
Tad harsh I reckon but that's the cut-throat world of AFL and journalists looking to get some attention by being purposefully provocative in an over-saturated media

I agree. The writer actually has no idea whether or not Thomas is fitting in at the club or whether his arrival has had a negative effect on the club or his own career (current or future).

Fact is, Carlton are 0-4 and a scapegoat is required. Daisy fits the bill perfectly. Rubbish journalism in my opinion.

Actually I didn't get either of those things from the article.

When the will he won't he stuff first started I commented he was making a mistake, he should stay, be a Collingwood hero for ever, not a judas, and that if he did he stood to make even more money that football would pay in the media, or in the club in some form. He will never be to Carlton what he was to us, he's too old, the flash dash is long gone, and his picture will no longer be enshrined in the rooms of teenage girls.

And he looked bored, and miserable playing. Did you watch the game? I'm deaf but one thing I do remember when they were playing Essendon, that blonde bummer look alike streamed past him with the ball, and the commentator said "you can almost hear daisy thinking, that used to be me, I used to look like that, I used to play like that, I wish I had my hair back" and I almost shed a tear!

I also agree that since 2011 daisy has not looked as interested in his footy. If you go back through threads I'm sure you'd find those comments in the game threads.

My daughter had her room plastered with his pictures, she must have at least 10-15 pics of her with daisy. Everything was 13. All of it is packed up now, boxed away in the top of her wardrobe. No, I didn't wish daisy luck when he left, but it makes me sad to see him now, I really wish he had stayed.

I really like the article, it's about passion. And I reckon it's a pretty good description of where Daisy appears to be right now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:47 am

think positive wrote:

My daughter had her room plastered with his pictures, she must have at least 10-15 pics of her with daisy. Everything was 13. All of it is packed up now, boxed away in the top of her wardrobe. No, I didn't wish daisy luck when he left, but it makes me sad to see him now, I really wish he had stayed.

He should never have accepted the Club 13 deal, he was not right for it in his mind and now he is so confused he doesn't know if he's Arthur or Martha.

It's sad too see anyone go through what he is going through but he bought it upon himself.
Warbler 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:04 am

You make your bed - then you have to lie in it .

Daisy has gone to the dark side & taken any good will I may have felt towards him .

We received a high draft pick who will hopefully prove more serviceable than an injured Daisy .

I can't see how bringing an injured player to a club & paying him megabucks can be anything but disruptive to the playing group ----- and I'm loving it .

Long may the filth wallow at the bottom of the ladder & waste their high draft picks on Bryce Gibbs types .

GO PIES
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:35 am

I have heard Scum players now call Dollar Daisy " Micks Daughter Daisy", with contempt. Says it all, really. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18   

Jump to: