Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

It’s black and white: Daisy’s no Blue

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:59 am
Post subject: It’s black and white: Daisy’s no BlueReply with quote

<Mod-certified Schadenfreude thread>

It’s black and white: Daisy’s no Blue
9:01pm, Apr 16
Edward Sharp-Paul Journalist

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2014/04/16/black-white-daisys-blue/

Quote:
Four games into his spell with new club Carlton, Dale Thomas looks like a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

Favourite sons take many forms. Some embody the club for better or for worse (like Richo), some are simply their club’s best player (like Robbie Flower), some are blue-collar triers (like Jude Bolton), and some are imported at great cost to fill a favourite son-shaped hole (like Juddy).

The Daisy Thomas that was beloved by the Collingwood faithful was none of the above.

He was a blur of peroxide in a well-drilled, monochrome team. He was a cheeky kid from Drouin who kicked sausage rolls and took hangers like they were the entire point of the game. Kids wore 13 on their backs, and grannies harboured secret crushes. We all know what happened next, though.

Four undistinguished games into a four-year, $700,000 a year contract with Carlton, and Daisy finds himself unloved at two clubs. Obviously his performances may yet improve, but one already gets the feeling that neither Carlton fans nor the Carlton players will ever truly embrace him as one of their own – it might help if he looked like he wanted to be there, though.

Other high-profile defections haven’t felt like this. Gary Ablett’s standing remains, but that’s because he’s one of the greatest that the game’s seen.

Likewise, Buddy feels like he’s bigger than the AFL, let alone Hawthorn. West Coast fans not only accepted that Chris Judd was keen to move home, but they grudgingly accepted his desire to leave a compromised culture behind.

Unlike Thomas, it was clear that each offered something crucial to their new club: Ablett and Judd provided a benchmark for excellence that was sorely needed, while Buddy offered glamour and box-office appeal. Of course, all had the good sense to go somewhere other than a loathed arch-rival as well.

As an admitted favourite of new coach Mick Malthouse, it makes sense that Thomas would want to play under the Zen Master himself. However, would Daisy be naïve enough to think that he would be welcomed into the fold?

Similarly, did it occur to His Mickness that recruiting a golden child on massive pay might undermine an already feeble team ethos? Had anyone at Carlton even bothered to check out Daisy’s ominous fitness and form issues in the latter stages of his Collingwood career?

To be clear, Thomas isn’t the reason that Carlton’s season is over after four rounds, but he certainly hasn’t helped.

And the fans? Well, it will take something pretty special to erase the memory of Daisy’s exploits as a Magpie – but I’m sure that many would just settle for some signs of effort to start with.

Thomas was anonymous for much of Saturday’s clash with Melbourne, just another close-cropped midfield clogger in a side replete with them.

If he’s misplaced his form, that’s one thing, but if he can’t locate a bit of ticker, then Collingwood’s half-hearted attempt to retain his services starts to hint at a deeper malaise: fitness problems, a lack of love for the game, or maybe just old-fashioned avarice.

This isn’t some purist’s lament for the Good Old DaysTM, either: loyalty in football is overrated, and I don’t really care if Daisy’s chasing the dollar signs.

Traditionally, a player gives their body and every fibre of their being for the cause, receiving in return a very tidy pay packet, and all the love and attention that the tribe can offer.

If a player is no good, though, they’ll understand that it’s for the good of the team that they’re being cut loose into the wider world, a world that the club have made only a token effort to prepare them for.

Good riddance to all that. Daisy’s suspect ankle won’t last forever, so why not take the financial security while it’s on the table?

Well, because a player as marketable as Daisy had a cushy media career patiently waiting for him at the end of his career, assuming that he continued to play the role of loveably rogueish cult figure. Defecting to his club’s arch-rival halfway through his career potentially puts that post-retirement earning power in jeopardy.

Above all else, though, it’s the simple, unadulterated wrongness of Daisy in a Carlton jumper that sticks in the craw. Rational arguments? Sure, footy fans pretend they have them, but ultimately footy is played with the gut, and this gut is telling me that Daisy is stuck in no-man’s land, neither blue nor black and white.
GoWoodsmen 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:07 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Great yarn and some great calls there! Got to admit, while I've barely spent much time thinking about him since he's left I do have a wry grin on the inside every time I hear he isn't play so well at scumland.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Beautifully written and very well said. Never a truer word about greed than these two wonderful quotes.......

“Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

“He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.”
― Socrates
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:11 pm

Trouble is,the old man is so busy over there ducking bullets, he doesn't have the time to tuck him into bed anymore, and read him nursery rhyme stories. ! Sad, but true.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:52 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Trouble is,the old man is so busy over there ducking bullets, he doesn't have the time to tuck him into bed anymore, and read him nursery rhyme stories. ! Sad, but true.

"Kiss me goodnight Sargeant MM".................. Twisted Evil Razz
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:16 pm

Tad harsh I reckon but that's the cut-throat world of AFL and journalists looking to get some attention by being purposefully provocative in an over-saturated media
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:38 pm

Damien wrote:
Tad harsh I reckon but that's the cut-throat world of AFL and journalists looking to get some attention by being purposefully provocative in an over-saturated media

I tend to disagree that it is harsh. The truth hurts and that is something that traitor Thomas has to wear. Rolling Eyes No easy way out this time.
I felt it was a genuinely good article comparing the types of players who DO move from clubs for different reasons, however in this case, the traitor doesn't fit into the usual categories and is also in a higher risk of failure category as far as the Scum are concerned. All very good points made IMO.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Damien wrote:

I agree. The writer actually has no idea whether or not Thomas is fitting in at the club or whether his arrival has had a negative effect on the club or his own career (current or future).

Fact is, Carlton are 0-4 and a scapegoat is required. Daisy fits the bill perfectly. Rubbish journalism in my opinion.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:28 pm

I thought the official Blooz scapegoat was "Everybody except Kade Simpson"?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:08 pm

Either of two things can happen. Either he will come good. Or else he won't.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:17 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I thought the official Blooz scapegoat was "Everybody except Kade Simpson"?

Razz Very Happy The only Scum player I like. Poor bloke carries over 50% entire team effort every week! On his own!
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:28 pm

Footy journalism is 90% speculation. Unless we're talking about a one on one interview, it's always circumstantial evidence, rumors & opinions that read like a Nicks thread ONLY less entertaining!

This article makes some valid points IMHO.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:03 pm

uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR wrote:
Footy journalism is 90% speculation. Unless we're talking about a one on one interview, it's always circumstantial evidence, rumors & opinions that read like a Nicks thread ONLY less entertaining!

This article makes some valid points IMHO.

Spot On .Jurno's mostly Guess.

Same as people on the Boards here

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:29 pm

I watched the interview with MM on Footy Classified last night. MM look quite pale and stressed.

He was very much in the defensive mode but certainly reframed from being too much of a smarts rs with the panel as he does with journos in his press conference.

Irrespective of speculation and comments made by Sticks, MM has not got 5 years to rebuild the club. The power that be at the Scum will see to that.
MagpieMad Leo

One in, All in!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:31 pm

lol suffer in their jocks, the whole lot of them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 1 of 18   

Jump to: