Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Faz

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guts42 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:49 pm
Post subject: The FazReply with quote

I know its been spoken about before but went down to the vfl on Saturday and the faz playing back isn't a one off experiment.... he will be playing back this year and I wouldn't be surprised if its as early as the swans game and I for one don't mind it.
Our ball use out of the backline is horrible and the faz could give us something. On friday we had brown, frost, maxey, sinkers, toovey and langdon as our backs... not one can hurt you by foot bar the first gamer and he will take a few games to settle in... he played a cracker first up but did make a few blunders and id expect these to be out of his game pretty quick.
The faz is the man... especially short term... I think he has a crack and his skills are sharp and penetrating... the others that will help will obviously be seeds and oxley and in time sharanberg so we do have some players coming through along with langdon that will make us look sharper in the near future... some say young and harry could go back but young doesn't have a defensive bone in his body to defend one on one and H just had one of his best seasons playing on a wing.... time for faz to step up.
Darkstranger 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another attempt to change things up, that's what happens when we just don't have real defenders available, Faz isn't hard enough or accountable enough to be a backman.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:13 pm

Seedsman, Oxley, Scharenberg, Langdon, Reid, Keeffe, Williams, Frost and Toovey are all good enough to be the future for us in the backline. This is going to be a 2 year project to get this part of our team up to speed.

Experimenting with Fasolo, Mooney, Sidebottom etc is worth a go but I think good backlines take time and the names i mentioned at the start are the ones we need to back.

Guts42 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:31 pm

True but leon was an attempt to change things up... sometimes it works.
I agree with the above.... we need defenders that can defend AND use the ball...langdon the ox and sharanberg (by all reports) will give us this and all at around 190cms... id argue seeds is probably no different to faz... seeds more a wingman and faz the forward but neither probably imagined afl life as a defender but both have attributes to be very good there IF there defensive side improves/is good enough... im happy either way... faz kicking 5 would be more exciting but for now. .. even short term its worth a shot id say.
Guts42 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:32 pm

True but leon was an attempt to change things up... sometimes it works.
I agree with the above.... we need defenders that can defend AND use the ball...langdon the ox and sharanberg (by all reports) will give us this and all at around 190cms... id argue seeds is probably no different to faz... seeds more a wingman and faz the forward but neither probably imagined afl life as a defender but both have attributes to be very good there IF there defensive side improves/is good enough... im happy either way... faz kicking 5 would be more exciting but for now. .. even short term its worth a shot id say.
Bob Sugar 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:32 pm

Yep, let's turn the one player who's a good set shot for goal into a backman.

On the day before the first, Daicos created God.

You like this.
Guts42 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:48 pm

Once we get it out the backline thats the next problem!!
we have a list of players that can play mid/forward.... and yes faz has probably more x factor than most. .. but we are just so poor moving out the backline... maxwell frost ball taking kickouts.... need better than that.
Beast 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:55 am

Darkstranger wrote:
Just another attempt to change things up, that's what happens when we just don't have real defenders available, Faz isn't hard enough or accountable enough to be a backman.

Neither was Leon Davis but he gave us great delivery and good run when moved there.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:14 pm

Beast wrote:
Darkstranger wrote:

Neither was Leon Davis but he gave us great delivery and good run when moved there.

Birchall, Walker, Cooney, Dusty, Delidio a couple of years back, Leon... all of them second rate defenders but with offensive weapons. It's a part of the modern game. If we had a defender like that of our own, then we too could go coast-to-coast every once in a while.

Personally, the idea of Faz down back worries me a bit because he's just get dragged to the dead pocket and scored heavily on by experienced forwards. But in that pratice match, it was soooooo good to see someone with quality footskills moving it around down back. None of this hurried bomb to an opposition player in 20 metres of space. No hospital passes inboard to the 50. And again, if he gets a moment of space and sees a Beams/Dwyer/Sidey/Elliott running into space on the wing, we are almost guaranteed a shot on goal.

Doubt we'll win a flag this year. Let's try it out.
MAGPIEAVENGER 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:39 pm

Having Faz down back could be handy.

He has a lot of "X-factor" and pace.

+

He would be the only one that can kick the ball 50m+ accurately.

It's worth a shot considering we are currently "re-building" the team.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:40 pm

I actually suspect playing Fasolo in defence is designed to make him a better and more accountable forward. I seem to recall MM doing the same thing with Daisy.
the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:07 pm

Back or forward, if fit, I think he should come in against the swans. What was his game like in the VFL?
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:07 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
I actually suspect playing Fasolo in defence is designed to make him a better and more accountable forward. I seem to recall MM doing the same thing with Daisy.

this.

Az 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:52 pm

Geek wrote:
Beast wrote:
Darkstranger wrote:

Birchall, Walker, Cooney, Dusty, Delidio a couple of years back, Leon... all of them second rate defenders but with offensive weapons. It's a part of the modern game. If we had a defender like that of our own, then we too could go coast-to-coast every once in a while.

Personally, the idea of Faz down back worries me a bit because he's just get dragged to the dead pocket and scored heavily on by experienced forwards. But in that pratice match, it was soooooo good to see someone with quality footskills moving it around down back. None of this hurried bomb to an opposition player in 20 metres of space. No hospital passes inboard to the 50. And again, if he gets a moment of space and sees a Beams/Dwyer/Sidey/Elliott running into space on the wing, we are almost guaranteed a shot on goal.

Doubt we'll win a flag this year. Let's try it out.

Am I the only one who remembers Leon being a great 1 on 1 defender?

In similar fashion to Fas, I'm really hoping this Mooney experiment can somehow pay off. A lad with his running ability and athleticism coming out of our backline would kill teams if he could somehow develop a bit more football nous. He is the first guy who popped into my head once the Shaw trade got thrown up who could maybe fill his spot if we could bring his game on significantly over the pre-season. Look forward to seeing what he can conjure up in the VFL
Guts42 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:34 pm

I thought leon was very good 1 on 1... I remember being suprised at how good he was at the beginning. Mooney played back pocket on saturday and didnt look out of place but the team essendon put out was very average
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: