Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Round 3 - Collingwood vs Coburg at Victoria Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

neil wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Stats of note if someone hasn't posted yet-

In order of disposals, marks, tackles, goals-

Adams- 36, 5, 6, 0
Dwyer - 22, 3, 1, 0
Clarke- 21,8,2,0
Ramsay-19,8,2,0
Lynch-19,6,1,7,1.1
Kennedy-19,5,4,0
Martin-18,2,7,3.0
Armstrong-17,5,3,0
Yags-16,6,2,0
Mooney-14,3,0,0
Marsh-12,1,2,1.0
Karnezis-9,4,2,3.1
Gault-9,2,3,1.0
Brown-7,4,0,0
Hudson-16,2,6,40,1.0

Lynch kicked 7 goals?
Hudson 40 goals?

Number of times they swore at an umpire?

neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:45 pm

^ That seems reasonable
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:21 am

Guys, forgive me for coming a few days late, but I've only just realised that I composed my thoughts on our players, then forgot to post them! Major brain fade! Embarassed

Belatedly, my assessments...

2. Sam Dwyer
Good game from Sammy. If he wasn't BoG, he'd be close. Clearly a class above this level, disposal by foot so polished as always and again, looks to be making inroads into his defensive game as well. Would honestly bring him in for Blair, I don't give a damn what bullsh_t stats his fans keep wheeling out.

7. Ben Kennedy
The kid chalked up another good game, without outright dominating. Was tagged on and off during the game. Laid quite a few tackles. Best piece of play was where he received from Q-Stick and torched the grass coming down the Ryder Stand wing, which ended up in a successful shot on goal from Huddo after the siren. BenKen already matches Blair for inside work, but needs to really hammer out an outside game to truly eclipse him. Working on that tank is part of that.

9. Martin Clarke
Another reasonable game from Marty across half back. Didn't really do anything wrong and remains a viable option if we need an extra rebounder. I still remain convinced that his best position is midfield where he can run all day, though. Remains better half-back depth than Armstrong.

13. Taylor Adams
Took his medicine and didn't complain. I pity the poor fool who has to give votes in the Listen, because Tay would be in a wrestle with Sammy for BoG. Dominated out of the middle and made for a devastating centre square along with Dwyer and Martin. Had a big final quarter, as everyone else was tiring. Love his hardness at the contest. Relax everybody, we have our Luke Ball successor.

16. Nathan Brown
Back well ahead of schedule from the shoulder injury and doesn't look like he has missed a beat. Spent the majority of his time on Featherstone, although he also played a bit on Ben Sortino as well. Featherstone ended up with 3 goals, although two of them came after the result was put beyond doubt, so only the one conceded when the game was up for grabs.

Who comes out for him though?

21. Quentin Lynch
Yet again, a workhorse all day. Presented very well but once again, didn't get the delivery to allow him more shots on goal. Did very well in the ruck also. Kicked a goal through some clever crumbing work. He's not done with yet. One thing I will note, though, is that he appears to have changed his model of glove again...

25. Ben Hudson
Won the ruck duel easily. Again, it was a case of Huddo being Huddo. Even managed to drift forward and kick a goal in the 1st quarter, after almost getting up onto the shoulders of the guy in front. Clearly wants to add Mark of the Year to his mantelpiece... Laughing

Is there if we need him.

27. Tony Armstrong
I'm doing my best to put aside my views on him and look at his game objectively, but aside from one decent tackle, can anyone tell me just what exactly he does? We don't need anymore seagulls who get spoon-fed then go 15m sideways! Was clean kicking to uncontested players, but that's it. A full list to choose from and he doesn't make our first 35 players.

31. Jackson Ramsay
Decent game from the kid, even if the back half of the ground was not where the action was. 2nd quarter was his best of the game. Did reasonably well in defence all day, took a few nice intercept marks, although his disposal was a bit askew. Not sure he'll get a look-in this year, with Fasolo lighting it up down back and Sinclair enjoying the coaches' patronage.

33. Patrick Karnezis
An added reason to get along to this game was to see how Patty went on debut, and he didn't disappoint. Very good game from PK. Kicked the 3 goals, presented really well and got into dangerous positions, but more importantly, looked to be moving freely and covering territory. Looked gassed by three quarter time and was spelled after that (which was also likely pre-planned).

Now before we all start blowing our wads, just remember he hasn't had a pre-season. He'll likely just need the next month or so just to be able to run games out. Also remember that he won't be a permanent forward. The club has said that they see him developing into a midfielder. Nevertheless, if he can work his way into the seniors and startas a Jack Gunston/Tom Lynch 4th tall forward and rotate into the middle, we'll have a handy player.

Well done PK, keep it up!

37. Kyle Martin
Another very good game from our forgotten state leaguer, although he didn't explode and dominate as you'd hope. Best bit of play was where he burst out of the middle and slammed through a goal on the run. Would have called it in all its glory, but alas, I had a glitch come up. My bad... Embarassed

Having all of Adams, Dwyer and Kennedy, as well as Hellier, Couch and Moloney from our VFL list, in the midfield really freed him up, as he usually cops the hard tag. If the seniors can all stay healthy, and we can fit our VFL regulars in as well, he'll wreck havoc.

Just as an aside, there has been a bit of hysteria over his defensive game. I fully agree he has to work on that, but he's not the down-hill skier others decry him as. Again, I'd find room for him on the senior list and even in the best 22, but alas...

38. Peter Yagmoor
Did okay, without being a stand-out. Typical Yagmoor, really. He's clean with the ball and offers more offensive hurt with his disposals than Armstrong does, but really, he's just treading water, which in a 3rd year player, just isn't good enough. I just don't see him making it. Also spent time on Younan and had a couple kicked on him.

44. Corey Gault
Played as a key forward, as he should have from the get-go last year (the club spin about being "the Simon Prestigiacomo of the VFL" was absolute cat cr@p that would get one fired anywhere else). Actually presented reasonably well, although he wasn't exactly a marking powerhouse. My description of him in the first quarter of being "tall, gangly and useless" was right though. The first quarter he was tall, gangly and useless!

His only goal came from some innovative crumbing, which was decent enough, but his man won the actual contest, a bad bounce of the oval ball killing his good work.

46. Jonathon Marsh
Spent time further up the ground, before playing predominately in defence after half time and in particular, taking a key defensive matchup in the last quarter, where he relieved for Brown on Featherstone.

You see this kid do one thing, you think he's no chance. Then you see him do something special and you think "Jeez, he's going to be a beauty!" Some of his disposals are just real facepalm stuff. Kicked an absolute belter of a goal in the second term, though, where he took it, ran to 50, loaded up, and let the laws of physics do the rest as it bounced through.

The highlight of his game for mine, however, was after everyone had left for the 'G (except me). A Coburg player received the ball on the half forward flank and set off towards goal. Marsh, free on center wing, decides to give chase and puts his foot down. He closes to 25 meters, 20, 15, 10, and as the Coburg bloke goes to take a running shot well inside his 50, gets run down as Marsh applies a monster tackle. Holding the ball!

The chase down was special in itself (please Collingwood, put it up on the website!). But look at it in the context of the game: last quarter, result long since put beyond doubt, only thing that can happen in Coburg paring back a little bit of respectability. Yet the boy chases as though it's 5 minutes to go with a goal the difference.

He's not AFL-relevant at this point, so don't put him in with the list of names when saying 'add A, B, C, D, E and F and our depth looks great'. He's a project player at this point and will remain so for quite some time yet. He's yet to find his best position, let alone play a 'complete' game of footy for us.

If I could give the average Pies fan who might be interested in watching the VFL in person, it would be to come down and pay your money (free entry at Vic Park!) and watch closely, because every now and then, Marsh will likely do something that will make you smile. I know that chase-down did it for me... Smile

Keep it up, Swampy.

48. Caolan Mooney
Another unremarkable game for him. Looked to be playing an accountable role in defence again, which is good, because it continues to further his actual understanding of the game.

Those on the main saying he's a list clogger display a shocking lack of understanding of how the Category B rookie system actually works. He's a free hit, but unlike Marsh, doesn't actually cost us a spot on the list. Not that Marsh isn't an investment worth making, but to date, Caolan has shown much more than Marsh has, if that makes sense?

Looking a little down the line, I would hope Mooney can round out his game, put it all together and make it as a line-breaking midfielder, but I would absolutely be giggling if we came out of this latest Irish experiment with a super-quick small defender...

From amongst our VFL boys, Couch was the clear stand-out. Simply racked up the ball and barring some wayward set-shots, would have been our leading goal kicker. Great to have him back!

Hellier did well in the middle as always, although with all of Adams, Dwyer, Martin and Couch dominating, he was a little overshadowed. No harm in that.

Ferguson gave us his usual cheeky zip on the outside and got into some dangerous positions close to goal. Chipped in again with a major to extend our spread of goal kickers. No triple-feint Goal of the Year this week, though...

Loved Jake Williams' endeavour and work-rate. One to look out for as a rookie prospect, for mine. Moloney had another good game as well.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:24 am

think better wrote:
I'm voting for MB as Bat of the Year!

Does that come with a gold-plated pointy ear cowl or something? Wink

Thanks TB. You're very kind to say so!
die4pies Scorpio

Homeward bound

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:31 pm

Fantastic summary MB.

Brutally honest Smile

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:44 pm

die4pies wrote:
Fantastic summary MB.

Brutally honest Smile

Thanks Shane.

And before I forget, fantastic work on the photos (as always)! Very Happy

Love that one of Tay on the previous page. The intensity... 'Get outta my way!' Cool
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:37 am

Great summary MB! There's no doubt there's plenty of depth in our list at the moment and several of these players would feel hard done by their exclusion from the side for tomorrow's match but who in the firsts deserves to go out of the side though.

The only player I can really think of Tommy Langdon who's struggled a little lately, but he's been selected for tomorrow's match though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8   

Jump to: