Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Lou Richards statue unveiled Thursday, all pies fans invited

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:48 pm
Post subject: Lou Richards statue unveiled Thursday, all pies fans invitedReply with quote

Quote:

Collingwood will unveil a statue dedicated to the great Lou Richards on Thursday 17 April at 11.30am at the Westpac Centre, with supporters encouraged to come to the club in support of Lou and watch the unveiling.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2014-04-14/richards-statue-to-be-unveiled

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

A great way to salute a true Magpie hero and full marks on honouring our own. It's abundantly clear that we need to do this ourselves.
Over at the MCG there are statues aplenty, but not one member of our club, a club that somehow has made 43 Grand Finals. It's the same level of recognition we got for the AFL Team of the Century, 43 Grannies but not one mention.
But we do get recognition over at Etihad Stadium with one end named after a great of our club. But that name is allowed to be covered over by another club with a name of one of their own ex players.
Let's make our area a real tribute to our history. Rose & Richards is great, but I'd like to see more, and as stated if we don't, there's no point waiting for the AFL/MCG.
uncanny 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:40 pm

good call sp

There is a statue of John Landy in a pre Olympic trial at the heroic moment when he stopped and checked his opponent nearby. That's what we've bought into from the move of training base.

Adding more iconic people and moments to the precinct is the way to go. Whether that is in on the form of statues, letter, pictures, photos, videos...

Let's have Daicos in statue, video and picture as he conjures that goal from the left forward pocket in the first 90 final for a start...

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:09 am

sixpoints wrote:
A great way to salute a true Magpie hero and full marks on honouring our own. It's abundantly clear that we need to do this ourselves.
Over at the MCG there are statues aplenty, but not one member of our club, a club that somehow has made 43 Grand Finals. It's the same level of recognition we got for the AFL Team of the Century, 43 Grannies but not one mention.
But we do get recognition over at Etihad Stadium with one end named after a great of our club. But that name is allowed to be covered over by another club with a name of one of their own ex players.
Let's make our area a real tribute to our history. Rose & Richards is great, but I'd like to see more, and as stated if we don't, there's no point waiting for the AFL/MCG.

yes, good on Lou, and a few more Magpie statues too for sure. I have noticed too at the G there is not one Magpie agmonst them, how the hell Jock McHale or Gordon Coventry haven't got a statue is beyond me, surely they are absolute legends of the game. Len Thompson deserves one, or harry collier, its a disgrace, like not one Pie player made the best team of all time, the League centenary team, its pathetic. But not unexpected, the hate of the Pies goes far and wide in League circles. Rolling Eyes Mad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
boss351 Leo

Proud Port Adelaide Supporter..... I come in peace, be gentle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:57 pm

a great Collingwood man, a great Victorian, media megastar Wink and funny bloke, congrats Louie the lip, well deserved
Flashman 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:02 am

Piesnchess wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

yes, good on Lou, and a few more Magpie statues too for sure. I have noticed too at the G there is not one Magpie agmonst them, how the hell Jock McHale or Gordon Coventry haven't got a statue is beyond me, surely they are absolute legends of the game. Len Thompson deserves one, or harry collier, its a disgrace, like not one Pie player made the best team of all time, the League centenary team, its pathetic. But not unexpected, the hate of the Pies goes far and wide in League circles. Rolling Eyes Mad

Stuff them all.

This- Collingwood Team Of The Century
B: Harold Rumney, Jack Regan, Syd Coventry (c)
HB: Billy Picken, Albert Collier, Nathan Buckley
C: Thorold Merrett, Bob Rose, Darren Millane
HF: Des Fothergill, Murray Weideman, Dick Lee
F: Phonse Kyne, Gordon Coventry, Peter Daicos
Foll: Len Thompson, Des Tuddenham, Harry Collier
Int: Tony Shaw, Wayne Richardson, Marcus Whelan, Gavin Brown
Coach: Jock McHale

Easily flogs this-
THE AFL TEAM OF THE CENTURY
B: B. Smith, S. Silvagni, J. Nicholls
HB: B. Doull, T. Whitten (c)K. Murray
C: F. Bourke, I. Stewart, K. Greig
HF: A. Jesaulenko, R. Hart, D. Reynolds
F: L. Matthews, J. Coleman, H. Bunton
R: G. Farmer, R. Barassi, B. Skilton
I/C: G. Ablett, J. Dyer, G. Williams
Coach: N. Smith

No doubting the quality of the names but in a desperate attempt to squeeze every Carlton player in they've ended up playing half the side out of position. I doubt John Nicholls ever spent any time in a back pocket likewise Dick Reynolds on a flank and Haydn Bunton in a pocket. You can argue that they're champions but that doesn't mean that they will automatically excel in any given spot.

The Pies team looks much better balanced for mine.

But us getting overlooked for a spot in the 1996 side isn't surprising when you had David Parkin (Carltons then current coach who should never have been a selector, but I'm surprised didn't squeeze Fraser Brown and Brad Pearce in as well ) Percy Beames (Melbourne man ) and Bobby Davis (great bloke but biased as buggery hence the over representation of Geelong players comparing their then record to ours.)

Still these teams of the century, whilst good for debate, are at the end of the day a great pile of wank
35forever 

"I feel sick - dada dada dada da"

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:01 am

No one I'd rather see immortalised than the great Lou. When I was little I thought he was my grandpa... He wasn't though.

No better champion of the game, and no more ardent Magpie fan on earth, and I dearly hope he stays on that earth for a long time to come. I'm gonna have a real bad time when that awful day comes - though theres no guarantee I'll be around to see it, he might outlive the lot of us. If passion has anything to do with it he'll outlast his bronze facsimile!

-me, 2010
"The pies are going to the big dance!"-P.Daicos 2010
Visit My Website!
Collingwood 4 eternity 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:07 am

Pic from Collingwood twitter

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:20 am

Flashman wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
sixpoints wrote:

Stuff them all.

This- Collingwood Team Of The Century
B: Harold Rumney, Jack Regan, Syd Coventry (c)
HB: Billy Picken, Albert Collier, Nathan Buckley
C: Thorold Merrett, Bob Rose, Darren Millane
HF: Des Fothergill, Murray Weideman, Dick Lee
F: Phonse Kyne, Gordon Coventry, Peter Daicos
Foll: Len Thompson, Des Tuddenham, Harry Collier
Int: Tony Shaw, Wayne Richardson, Marcus Whelan, Gavin Brown
Coach: Jock McHale

Easily flogs this-
THE AFL TEAM OF THE CENTURY
B: B. Smith, S. Silvagni, J. Nicholls
HB: B. Doull, T. Whitten (c)K. Murray
C: F. Bourke, I. Stewart, K. Greig
HF: A. Jesaulenko, R. Hart, D. Reynolds
F: L. Matthews, J. Coleman, H. Bunton
R: G. Farmer, R. Barassi, B. Skilton
I/C: G. Ablett, J. Dyer, G. Williams
Coach: N. Smith

No doubting the quality of the names but in a desperate attempt to squeeze every Carlton player in they've ended up playing half the side out of position. I doubt John Nicholls ever spent any time in a back pocket likewise Dick Reynolds on a flank and Haydn Bunton in a pocket. You can argue that they're champions but that doesn't mean that they will automatically excel in any given spot.

The Pies team looks much better balanced for mine.

But us getting overlooked for a spot in the 1996 side isn't surprising when you had David Parkin (Carltons then current coach who should never have been a selector, but I'm surprised didn't squeeze Fraser Brown and Brad Pearce in as well ) Percy Beames (Melbourne man ) and Bobby Davis (great bloke but biased as buggery hence the over representation of Geelong players comparing their then record to ours.)

Still these teams of the century, whilst good for debate, are at the end of the day a great pile of wank

My God, I forgot about that, bloody SIX Scum players, unreal, and that morose twerp Parkin puts on a pretence of being "Neutral". Evil or Very Mad How the hell Greig got in is beyond me, yes he won 2 Brownlows for the povvo team Norf, but he NEVER won his Clubs best player trophy -the highest he finished was fourth from memory, when I was a young lad. !
The Magpies side looks terrific, cant think of one guy who should be there, except maybe Peter Moore, but hard to squeeze him in I guess.

Anyway, have a great day Louis Thomas Charles Richards, unveil your statue and gaze upon it with awe, you never strayed from your loyalty to the Pies, unlike guys like Barassi, Parkin, the Mercenarys of footy. Have a wonderful day Lou, well done !! Wink Wink

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:37 am

Great news for Louie , I am disapointed for Tarkyn Lockyer I really thought his statue was next in line.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:07 pm

3rd degree wrote:
Great news for Louie , I am disapointed for Tarkyn Lockyer I really thought his statue was next in line.

NOT Jason Wild or Stephen Patterson ? Wink

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:09 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
3rd degree wrote:

I prefer Garry Shaw...... Cool
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:13 pm

Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
3rd degree wrote:

Terry Keays and Jason Croall ! Laughing

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:38 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
3rd degree wrote:

athas. or fatui.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:47 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
3rd degree wrote:

Lol I played Cricket against Terry a few times, back when we were young, complete mercenary!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: