Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Expensive watches & ethics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Quote:
She's very proud of it and wears it almost every day.

Confused

Lol. Perhaps we're out of touch with social conventions, but I wouldn't wear a wedding or engagement ring every day. Better when it's done consciously than merely out of habit, I think. Smile

The point of them is to warn off suitors, although from what I've heard a wedding ring on a male hand tends to have the opposite effect. Laughing

So If I can find mine, I should put it on when I go out?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:05 pm

How does she look?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:20 pm

HAL wrote:
How does she look?

Through her eyes.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:21 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:
The point of them is to warn off suitors

Really? That seems a cynical view. What about polyamorous couples? Surely there's more to this ritual than mere possessiveness.

If that is a popular view, it makes the practice of buying expensive rings seem even more distasteful.

Happy birthday David, for yesterday.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:48 pm

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Really? That seems a cynical view. What about polyamorous couples? Surely there's more to this ritual than mere possessiveness.

If that is a popular view, it makes the practice of buying expensive rings seem even more distasteful.

How's this for cynical, men never wore rings until a jewellery industry marketing campaign in the US.

Also isn't 'polyamourous couple' an oxymoron? I mean, I understand swingers are still couples, but actually loving multiple people would make the grouping a triumverate or maybe a trilogy or quartet or something wouldn't it? Laughing
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:16 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Quote:
She's very proud of it and wears it almost every day.

Confused

Lol. Perhaps we're out of touch with social conventions, but I wouldn't wear a wedding or engagement ring every day. Better when it's done consciously than merely out of habit, I think. Smile

Or when you have been married so long you can't get the fecker off even if you wanted to - without a grinder Razz

We didn't spend a fortune on ours either David - we bought Celtic rings as they had meaning for us being a paddy and a tight-arse ...... oops sorry meant a Scot !!

Very Happy

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:25 pm

Wokko wrote:
David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

How's this for cynical, men never wore rings until a jewellery industry marketing campaign in the US.

Also isn't 'polyamourous couple' an oxymoron? I mean, I understand swingers are still couples, but actually loving multiple people would make the grouping a triumverate or maybe a trilogy or quartet or something wouldn't it? Laughing

It is, though I guess it goes to show how ambiguous meaning can be: is it better if the practice originated in superstition as opposed to an advertising campaign? And does it matter so long as the cultural meaning is still there?

As for polyamorous couples, it's definitely possible and indeed relatively common as far as these things go. For instance, I know a couple who married last yearone has been in another serious relationship for two years and the other has had multiple short-term lovers. They would only stop being a couple if they both shared the same partner/s (which of course isn't unheard of in other cases).

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:36 am

David wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Jesus Christ the inside of your head must be a scary place. I'm just imagining that cute guy shrunk in the space ship flying around your brain, it wouldn't be a movie, it would be a 5 year series. Kinda like land of the lost.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:11 am

David wrote:
It is, though I guess it goes to show how ambiguous meaning can be: is it better if the practice originated in superstition as opposed to an advertising campaign? And does it matter so long as the cultural meaning is still there?

As for polyamorous couples, it's definitely possible and indeed relatively common as far as these things go. For instance, I know a couple who married last yearone has been in another serious relationship for two years and the other has had multiple short-term lovers. They would only stop being a couple if they both shared the same partner/s (which of course isn't unheard of in other cases).

If that 'couple' ever have kids, they'd be so messed up. Something seems wrong with the world if this kind of thing is now considered 'normal'. I mean, kinky sexual practices I understand but that kind of thing is kept reasonably private. Normalizing polygamy and polyandry is what the anti gay marriage crowd are going on about. I don't know, just seems that kids and family aren't important to some sections of the community anymore.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:42 am

^ I don't think they're intending to have children, but I'm sure they'd make fantastic parentsthey're an extraordinarily loving couple and their time management skills are quite impressive. I would have had a much better and healthier childhood with parents like them. With respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The nuclear family isn't the only model within which children can thrive. We need to remember that it's a relatively recent inventioncommunal child-rearing was the norm throughout much of human history. As for the anti-gay marriage crowd, they need to get their heads out of their arses because the conservative '50s view of marriage has been breaking down for a long time and it has nothing to do with the 'gay agenda'. Growing interest in polyamory is symptomatic of that breakdown, and by 'symptomatic' I actually mean that it's one of the good things that has emerged from it.

On the other hand, people who want to preserve the more conservative notion of marriage as an important cultural institution would do well to get on the same-sex marriage bandwagon ASAP. If it doesn't modernise, it will die.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:03 am

There is no need to be narrow-minded. Rejecting some sorts of families because they are not the same sort that you grew up in is retarded thinking. Well, no it's not. Actually it isn't thinking at all.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:13 am

Tannin wrote:
There is no need to be narrow-minded. Rejecting some sorts of families because they are not the same sort that you grew up in is retarded thinking. Well, no it's not. Actually it isn't thinking at all.

I grew up in a single parent household, so time to stow your own prejudice.

I actually think there are a few family structures best suited to raising children and nuclear and extended families would be the gold standards. Why do we think it's ok to run some kind of sociological experiment with children to see if it's 'ok' for any strange and wonderful mixtures of people to raise them? There is evidence that single and blended family children do worse on many metrics, are more abused, have more psychological problems and are more likely to end up in jail. Why do we think that a polygamous household or one with a conga line of sexual partners coming and going is going to be any better? We're so worried about hurting feelings of adults that we're not willing to consider the damage this social experimentation might do to kids. But keep your holier than thou attitude, because anyone who disagrees with you must be 'retarded', how tolerant and progressive of you.

I guess we'll find out in 50 years or so.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:26 am

Well, for me it's like home-schooling (and I'm speaking from personal experience here): there's no singular form, and the possible models range from excellent to woeful. Relationships and families are the same. What's needed is to think outside the square and consider what is in the best interests of both the children and the parents (because, of course, happy parents generally make good parents). If that's a sociological experiment, then so are all familiesyou can never really know if your partner is going to be a good parent or whether a conventional familial/educational model is going to work for your children.

As for lovers coming and going, once again, it very much depends on what we're talking about. If one or both of the parents has another serious long-term partner, then it's not that dissimilar to having close friends come over (and as for multiple-partner relationships, I tend to take the view of "many hands make light work"). If there is more of a range of short and long-term partners (the "conga line" you speak of) then that brings its own benefits, drawbacks, analogies and things that simply don't matter much to anything. I don't know if you can generalise; as for the oft-quoted statistics about non-conventional relationships (and we all know why they're oft-quoted), they're quite misleading because they're mostly based on single-parent and step-parent families that, by their very definition, have already encountered some form of dysfunction or tragedy. Dysfunction breeds dysfunction: that's not news. But polyamorous relationships and other alternative arrangements aren't necessarily dysfunctionalindeed, I'd argue that people who do it for the right reasons are probably going to do better in the long run than the average monogamous couple.

Last edited by David on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:32 am; edited 2 times in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:30 am

If there ever is, I will let you know.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:28 am

What's the right reason? Surely it's just an excuse to sleep around? Yeah let's set. Ore good examples for the kids! Don't work on a relationship , just find a new one! Oh wait, there is no such thing as role models.

I can't wait til you have teenagers making choices you don't like!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: