Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Expensive watches & ethics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:41 pm
Post subject: Expensive watches & ethicsReply with quote

Peter Singer writes a good article here on the insanity (and, in his view, immorality) of spending for the sake of status:

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/the-moral-shortcomings-of-conspicuous-consumption-by-peter-singer

Quote:
When Radosław Sikorski, Poland’s foreign minister, went to Ukraine for talks last month, his Ukrainian counterparts reportedly laughed at him because he was wearing a Japanese quartz watch that cost only $165. A Ukrainian newspaper reported on the preferences of Ukrainian ministers, several of whom have watches that cost more than $30,000. Even a Communist member of Ukraine’s parliament, the Rada, was shown wearing a watch that retails for more than $6,000.

The laughter should have gone in the opposite direction. Wouldn’t you laugh (maybe in private, to avoid being impolite) at someone who pays more than 200 times as much as you do, and ends up with an inferior product?

(Note: Singer's referring to the pro-Russian Ukrainian government that was overthrown earlier this year.)

This is a curious phenomenon, and one that I've always been puzzled by. Why would anyone pay $6,000 for a watch? Singer suggests that it's a means of asserting power and wealth; perhaps not unlike the way American rappers wear gold chains.

Now, I disagree with Singer that this is an immoral act, per se, but I agree with him that it is stupid and takes money away from much worthier and needier targets. Personally, I'd advocate a much steeper tax rate so as to make this kind of spending impossible—like the minimum wage, there should be a maximum after-tax wage.

I'm sure none of us own thousand-dollar watches, but what of our own indulgences? Do we spend a lot of money on things we don't need? How can we best redirect that money to the people who genuinely need it?

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:52 pm
Post subject: Re: Expensive watches & ethicsReply with quote

David wrote:
Peter Singer writes a good article here on the insanity (and, in his view, immorality) of spending for the sake of status:

http://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/the-moral-shortcomings-of-conspicuous-consumption-by-peter-singer

Quote:
When Radosław Sikorski, Poland’s foreign minister, went to Ukraine for talks last month, his Ukrainian counterparts reportedly laughed at him because he was wearing a Japanese quartz watch that cost only $165. A Ukrainian newspaper reported on the preferences of Ukrainian ministers, several of whom have watches that cost more than $30,000. Even a Communist member of Ukraine’s parliament, the Rada, was shown wearing a watch that retails for more than $6,000.

The laughter should have gone in the opposite direction. Wouldn’t you laugh (maybe in private, to avoid being impolite) at someone who pays more than 200 times as much as you do, and ends up with an inferior product?

(Note: Singer's referring to the pro-Russian Ukrainian government that was overthrown earlier this year.)

This is a curious phenomenon, and one that I've always been puzzled by. Why would anyone pay $6,000 for a watch? Singer suggests that it's a means of asserting power and wealth; perhaps not unlike the way American rappers wear gold chains.

Now, I disagree with Singer that this is an immoral act, per se, but I agree with him that it is stupid and takes money away from much worthier and needier targets. Personally, I'd advocate a much steeper tax rate so as to make this kind of spending impossible—like the minimum wage, there should be a maximum after-tax wage.

I'm sure none of us own thousand-dollar watches, but what of our own indulgences? Do we spend a lot of money on things we don't need? How can we best redirect that money to the people who genuinely need it?

I have often scoffed at the price of watches, Rolex for $10K +??!! But, having said that, if I was loaded, I would probably get one.

As for the bolded part, I sort of have an addiction to Versace mugs.... they're not cheap, trust me! But if I see one I don't have, I have to buy it (when I say "it", I mean that style, because, of course, you have to have a pair Embarassed )
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:57 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

luvdids wrote:
I have often scoffed at the price of watches, Rolex for $10K +??!! But, having said that, if I was loaded, I would probably get one.

How come, do you reckon? I have to admit I don't even wear watches at all, so I don't quite understand the allure of really expensive ones.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:23 pm
Post subject: Re: Expensive watches & ethicsReply with quote

David wrote:
Why would anyone pay $6,000 for a watch?

Because otherwise the Financial Review colour supplement would go broke overnight.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:26 pm

I don't wear watches either, and after last week, im never wearing a ring again either!! most jewellery annoys the crap out of me for some reason.

but I did snag a cool Columbia sport watch which is waterproof from the states, and a nice Pandora one (for going out, when you cant sneak looks at your phone!!) from Buyinvite. $79 against $450, bugger that!!

I paid more for my heart rate monitor that doesn't need a chest strap than I did for both watch, that's my kind of jewellery!

Luvdids what do you do with the mugs??

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:42 pm

Peter Singer writes very well but I disagree with everything he says on almost every topic. What someone does with their personal property, be it cash or goods is their own business and nobody elses. The only reason I would say that laughing at someone for a cheap watch is bad is because it's causing unnecessary distress for a stupid reason. Sometimes people prefer a more economical product.

If someone wants to sell their house and buy a Maserati, a $100k watch and a snappy tailored suit then that's up to them. Sure it's not a good investment, but their property, their business.

Deciding what people 'need' is collectivist bullshit.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:06 pm

^ Misses the point comprehensively. As any intelligent reader should be able to discern without trouble, the point here is that some people have gathered so much ill-gotten wealth to themselves that they can and do waste vast amounts on utterly useless frippery. In many cases this wealth gathering isn't just immoral and unethical, it is downright criminal (especially when we are talking about modern capitalist Russia, which is little more than Mafia meets Reinhardt on a grand scale).

Further, this absurdly wasteful ostentation points to an enormous lack amounting to a mental illness on the part of the wealthy watch buyers. These people are so crippled in their emotional life that they can think of nothing else other than taking yet more ill-gotten wealth from their poor countrymen and squandering it on useless waste to butter up their own crippled egos.

And further again, it says something very bad about our society. Not just that we let these scumbags get away with their theft, but many of us actually want to emulate them. There are people locked up in mental hospitals or prisons who are smarter than that.

PS: I don't wear a watch. If I want to know what the time is, I look at a computer if I'm indoors, or perhaps a wall clock. Outdoors, I just look at the sun. (Or the stars at night time.)

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:16 pm

And what makes you or anyone else the moral arbiter of what is a 'good' use of ones personal property and what is a 'bad' use? Any issues of how someone obtains their wealth is another issue. If a reputable businessman who happens to have a couple of million in liquid assets decides to buy a stupidly priced watch then that's up to them.

How is buying an expensive watch for yourself any different than someone spending 10s of thousands on jewellery such as an engagement ring?

I agree it's a stupid purchase, so is buying $500 shoes or handbags but if that's what people want to do, then that's up to them. It's not unethical, it's unethical to say they CAN'T do it.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 5:06 pm

^ Still misses the point, which was explained in my previous post. I agree that there is no difference worth mentioning between one form of stupid, selfish waste of money taken by illegitimate means from the people who actually earned it and another form of stupid, selfish waste of money taken by illegitimate means from the people who actually earned it.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:07 pm

Wokko wrote:
And what makes you or anyone else the moral arbiter of what is a 'good' use of ones personal property and what is a 'bad' use? Any issues of how someone obtains their wealth is another issue. If a reputable businessman who happens to have a couple of million in liquid assets decides to buy a stupidly priced watch then that's up to them.

How is buying an expensive watch for yourself any different than someone spending 10s of thousands on jewellery such as an engagement ring?

I agree it's a stupid purchase, so is buying $500 shoes or handbags but if that's what people want to do, then that's up to them. It's not unethical, it's unethical to say they CAN'T do it.

spot on, one mans treasure is another mans rubbish.

if its your money, and your not crying poor for help from the government too, then bloody oath, spend it where you want.

mandy Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:16 pm

I bought a new watch a few years ago. (Not cheap, but nowhere near in the Rolex range) Went to Chadstone where I knew 2 stores stocked what I wanted.

First store - Price tag $1600. Asked what their best deal was, straight away it was $1250.

Second store - Price tag $1600. Asked what their best price was, straight away it was $1250. When told the other store said that it was suddenly $1200.

25% off just like that. Makes you wonder the insane mark ups put on the others. Shocked

#SIDEBYSIDE
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:39 pm

Without reading all the article, just the highlights, I take it the point is about the excessive indulgences of people who were basically creating wealth for themself by corrupt means at the expense of others, and flaunting it on status symbols.

Fair point.

On the other hand, David finished his OP with the lines

Quote:

To that, my response is **** "the people who genuinely need it". I earned the money, I paid my tax, I'll spend what i have left over on whatever the **** I want.

If I want to spend a few thousand on a pool table for the back room, who the hell has the right to tell me that i should go without that and give the money to the poor instead. I've been poor, now I can afford a few indulgences without being anywhere near being considered wealthy, so damned if I won't indulge myself if I feel like it.

Oh, and I own a $400 watch that was a gift. The band keeps stuffing up so I wear one I bought from the market for $40 instead. I also have a $250 one for casual wear that needs a new battery.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:40 pm

TP - I did drink out of one once, the rest are fairly new purchases and I've just sold my house so I'll christen them once I buy a new one. New house must have a couple of glass window doors in the kitchen so they're on display - would be a waste to just have them sit in a cupboard.

And mandy's right, jewellery stores have the most massive mark ups of almost any retail trader - if you walk in & pay full price for anything you're just silly.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:53 pm

stui magpie wrote:
To that, my response is **** "the people who genuinely need it". I earned the money, I paid my tax, I'll spend what i have left over on whatever the **** I want.

If I want to spend a few thousand on a pool table for the back room, who the hell has the right to tell me that i should go without that and give the money to the poor instead. I've been poor, now I can afford a few indulgences without being anywhere near being considered wealthy, so damned if I won't indulge myself if I feel like it.

Indeed. Your case is, however, completely different. You earned your money off the sweat of your own brow. You didn't steal it, you didn't extort it, and you did nothing immoral or underhand to accumulate it. A very different case indeed to that of Reinhardt, Sinidonos, or those Russian mafia thugs.

EDIT: I messed this up before thinking I was quoting for a new post when I was actually editing this one. It should be back to the way it was when I posted it now.

Last edited by Tannin on Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:33 pm; edited 3 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:56 pm

^

thank you. Indeed it's different from the situation in the article, but unless I was mistaken the tone of David's OP he would also consider my indulgences to be inappropriate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5   

Jump to: