Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mitch Clarke retires.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:13 pm
Post subject: Mitch Clarke retires.Reply with quote

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-04-08/demon-clark-retires?utm_medium=RSS

Quote:
MITCH Clark has informed Melbourne he will retire from the AFL, effective immediately.

Clark told the club his battle with mental illness would not allow him to commit to a full-time career at the Demons.

Clark has recently been diagnosed with clinical depression.

The tall forward asked the Demons last month for permission to spend some time away from the club to deal with his well-being.

Demons football manager Josh Mahoney said football came second in Clark's decision.

"Mitch's health has been the priority in this situation and after assessing all potential options, Mitch decided it was best for him to retire from football. The Melbourne Football Club supports this decision," Mahoney said in a statement on Tuesday afternoon.

"The club has been supporting Mitch throughout his illness, providing the best resources to assist him in his rehabilitation. We will continue to support him throughout the next phase of his life."

Clark thanked those at Melbourne for their support during tough times.

"I just want to say thank you to the Melbourne Football Club, firstly for giving me the chance to play for them and secondly for taking care of me during my time there," Clark said.

"Everyone at the club has been so supportive of me during some very challenging times, which I will always be appreciative of.

"Finally I want to say thank you to the players and members for being there for me. I’m sorry I wasn’t out on the field more, but with my injuries, it just wasn’t to be. I am very grateful for everything Melbourne has done for me. I will always consider myself a Melbourne player and a Melbourne person."

Ya gotta feel for the bloke.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:40 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were a betting man I would say that Melbourne will have pick 1 & 2 this year, since Frawley seems to be shopping himself around, and they will both be used on the best KPP available. If Moore keeps up his current form at TAC level, there's a good chance the dees will nominate him with one of their first picks. Not much chance of getting him in the 2nd round now.

Feel bad for Clarke, but have to laugh at the luck the Dees are having with their KPPs. Clarke was the great white hope when they recruited him.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:59 pm

I wish him all the best in his recovery
Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:07 pm

It is very sad news.

Whatever your feeling about Melbourne you do have to feel for a bloke having his career cut short from such an ongoing and awful illness.

Being closely related to a sufferer I know the effect it can have on someone and their family and the daily bloody grind it can have on a person just to live a normal life, let alone manage a career.

The kid can play as well and hopefully he still plays at a lower, less full on level, for his own well being if anything.

I wish him the very best for the future.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:20 pm

Proud Pies wrote:
I wish him all the best in his recovery

Ditto.

blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:45 pm

Listening to Chris Dawes comment on Clarke's decision reminded me again of what a class act Dawes is.

I genuinely hope that Dawes can be the replacement big forward the Dees need and that he rips it up. Even though I've got no affection for the club!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:50 pm

Sad to hear, and best of luck to Mitch for whatever he does next. Some things are bigger than football.
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Stupied wrote:
If I were a betting man I would say that Melbourne will have pick 1 & 2 this year, since Frawley seems to be shopping himself around, and they will both be used on the best KPP available. If Moore keeps up his current form at TAC level, there's a good chance the dees will nominate him with one of their first picks. Not much chance of getting him in the 2nd round now.

This is a discussion for the DTM Forum, but Melbourne are unlikely to bid a pick for Moore, because there are better key forward prospects in this draft.

Moore was never going to cost us only a 2nd rounder. That's just a pipe dream.

On Mitch Clark, my thoughts are with him and I hope he can forge a good life for himself away from football.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:09 pm

Let's be honest here for a second.

You can wish him well but you'd have to be pissed if you were a Melbourne supporter.

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:16 pm

You would be Depressed if you played for the Dees.

Though on a Serious Note I hope he can get on top of it

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:21 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
Stupied wrote:

This is a discussion for the DTM Forum, but Melbourne are unlikely to bid a pick for Moore, because there are better key forward prospects in this draft.

Moore was never going to cost us only a 2nd rounder. That's just a pipe dream.

On Mitch Clark, my thoughts are with him and I hope he can forge a good life for himself away from football.

Who would you have ahead of Moore?

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:37 pm

Wright, McCartin are ahead of him, maybe Durdin, maybe Goddard as well.

Not saying Moore can't go past them, but I just think Melbourne, with maybe those first couple of picks that they just have to get right, won't be playing funny-buggars in some bidding war for Darcy and will go best available, which will likely be one of Wright or McCartin.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:40 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Let's be honest here for a second.

You can wish him well but you'd have to be pissed if you were a Melbourne supporter.

Perhaps, but it would be unjustified. Mental health is like physical health—you have to take care of it, and if that means leaving the game then so be it. I'm sure this isn't a decision he would have taken lightly.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:41 am

Would you be "pissed" if he had done his ACL?
I suggest you get a reality check on the impact of mental illness in peoples lives.
Numerous AFL players suffer crippling mental health issues once they retire or are delisted. Any time the issue is raised is another opportunity to be supportive.

The most tragic case is Bill Morris.
A champion Richmond ruckman.
Second in Brownlow in 1946, Brownlow Medal Winner in 1948, third in 1950. Dead at 38 years of age in 1960. A very sad ending to the life of one of the AFL's greatest players.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:55 pm

sixpoints wrote:
Would you be "pissed" if he had done his ACL?
I suggest you get a reality check on the impact of mental illness in peoples lives.
Numerous AFL players suffer crippling mental health issues once they retire or are delisted. Any time the issue is raised is another opportunity to be supportive.

The most tragic case is Bill Morris.
A champion Richmond ruckman.
Second in Brownlow in 1946, Brownlow Medal Winner in 1948, third in 1950. Dead at 38 years of age in 1960. A very sad ending to the life of one of the AFL's greatest players.

Absolutely.

Not at the player though but the situation they and the club find themselves in.

Still does anyone know the reason for Clarke's mental health issues?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: