Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Mental illness: how do we deal with stigma?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
The other side of mental illness-related stigma:

https://www.humanrights.gov.au/publications/right-vote-not-enjoyed-equally-all-australians#fnB22a

Quote:
A disproportionate number of people in prison have a mental illness. For example, a 2001 study by the Schizophrenia Fellowship of NSW suggests that 60% of people admitted to prisons have an active mental illness. The NSW Corrections Health Service also conducted a survey which revealed that 54% of women and 41% of men in prison reported that they had received some form of psychiatric treatment or assessment for an emotional or mental health problem at some point in their lives. Approximately one third of these people had been previously admitted to hospital as a psychiatric inpatient.

Also:

Quote:
A disproportionate number of people in prison have an intellectual disability. According to the NSW Law Reform Commission people with intellectual disability are detained at a rate 4 times greater than that of the general population.

Yes, and we continue torturing them in cesspits rather than giving them adequate care.

As I say, we'll be issuing An Apology to the Incarcerated Mentally Ill in twenty years time for what is a grotesque human rights violation.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:21 pm

Can you think of another example?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:54 pm

slydog81 wrote:
Alot of blokes dont seem to be aware of the medicare mental health scheme

Free sessions with a Psych with a GP referral.

Well not quite free but the co-payment of $20 or so is better than forking out the full $150.

On the topic I think the answer is threads like this, we talk about it openly and honestly without judgement.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:45 pm

The trouble also comes with a label that may follow someone for life. People who are suffering emotionally will sometimes be classified "depressed" and medicated unnecessarily. From then on they have to prove they're not a threat or are capable of living within society. I think the medical profession is very quick to pathologise personality and emotional distress.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:54 pm

Not far from me a new suburb is being built on the site of what used to be one of the main Victorian asylums, Larundel. Google it, fascinating history. It's was an abandoned site for years after mental health was de-institutionalized in Victoria and was used by squatters and junkies, and toured at night by successions of ghost and spirit believers.

A new shopping precinct has been established on the grounds and the old buildings are being slowly refurbished into units.

I bring this up because of the mention of stigma. We've come a long way really. Back then, people were just locked up out of site out of mind. The dirty family secret. The crazies, just like the retards, were taken away out of sight where they couldn't offend anyone's sensibilities.
When mental health was first de-institutionalised they was an outcry from polite society that these "people" (picture someone hoity toity with nose pointed up, silk hanky dabbing at it and horrified expression on face) would be on the streets with the rest of us. Oh the humanity. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, as I say to people at work when they feel frustrated about not being able to get anywhere, sometimes when where you're going seems a long way away, you need to stop and look back and see how far you've come. Sort of puts it in perspective.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:13 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Not far from me a new suburb is being built on the site of what used to be one of the main Victorian asylums, Larundel. Google it, fascinating history. It's was an abandoned site for years after mental health was de-institutionalized in Victoria and was used by squatters and junkies, and toured at night by successions of ghost and spirit believers.

A new shopping precinct has been established on the grounds and the old buildings are being slowly refurbished into units.

I bring this up because of the mention of stigma. We've come a long way really. Back then, people were just locked up out of site out of mind. The dirty family secret. The crazies, just like the retards, were taken away out of sight where they couldn't offend anyone's sensibilities.
When mental health was first de-institutionalised they was an outcry from polite society that these "people" (picture someone hoity toity with nose pointed up, silk hanky dabbing at it and horrified expression on face) would be on the streets with the rest of us. Oh the humanity. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, as I say to people at work when they feel frustrated about not being able to get anywhere, sometimes when where you're going seems a long way away, you need to stop and look back and see how far you've come. Sort of puts it in perspective.

Have I got stories for you.

I've worked in large institutions before & was a senior manager in closing one down & building community infrastructure for residents. Then Kennett came in & cut my budget by 11% in one hit then 1.5% thereafter. Kirner had already cut millions.

The current Libs have cut millions from mental health, disability & housing. Labour had also cut.

There is a huge crisis going on now & people with a mental illness & an ID are not being given a fair go at all. We still need places for some folk to go. Before getting all misty eyed the reality for most people with a mental illness & also those with an ID is really poor due to both governments but one more than the other.

Why bring party politics into it? Because they're the c*nts & pr*cks that have caused the problems.

People are living in poverty while the government sold off the land to private developers etc. Those who used to live there got SFA.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:29 pm

Who there big fella, I never said things were perfect, just that the de-institutionalised model is better than the old one. The funding to make the model work is a different issue, feel free to throw as many rocks at any and all governments you wish, I won't be defending any of them.

As far as the land being sold and the people who lived there not getting anything I'm missing that one big time. Big "swoosh" straight over my head. Confused Are you suggesting the people who were inmates there 20 years ago should get a portion of the proceeds of the reasonably recent sale? Confused

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Who there big fella, I never said things were perfect, just that the de-institutionalised model is better than the old one. The funding to make the model work is a different issue, feel free to throw as many rocks at any and all governments you wish, I won't be defending any of them.

As far as the land being sold and the people who lived there not getting anything I'm missing that one big time. Big "swoosh" straight over my head. Confused Are you suggesting the people who were inmates there 20 years ago should get a portion of the proceeds of the reasonably recent sale? Confused

They got SFA at the time. In other words, a few people made a lot of money from selling off public assets & those most in need didn't.

It' the same ol story:

Lily Von Shtupp (pronounced like oops) calls it best. It describes the plight of the mentally ill & those with an ID:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIb5872TLXo‎

(In yiddish, the word shtupp means to f*ck - another of Mel Brookes's jokes)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:06 pm

I'm guessing the people who lived at the waterside hotel didn't get anything when it was sold either.

But when Larundel got sold, the government got the money, which goes into general revenue and is able to be used for whatever, including mental health interventions.

partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:24 pm

I am doing the tricky job of caring for a relative with advanced cancer and a mental illness. I had to really persist with getting him additional psychological support within the hospital system. I suspect that his mental illness made it more difficult for him to get his cancer symptoms recognised and diagnosed. He was not taken seriously until he started falling over.
My point is that there is still a great divide between the part of the medical profession that deals with physical illness and the part that deals with psychological illness and they need better integration.
While I'm on it, us full time carers need more support. It seems that there is almost no palliative respite care.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:41 pm

partypie wrote:
I am doing the tricky job of caring for a relative with advanced cancer and a mental illness. I had to really persist with getting him additional psychological support within the hospital system. I suspect that his mental illness made it more difficult for him to get his cancer symptoms recognised and diagnosed. He was not taken seriously until he started falling over.
My point is that there is still a great divide between the part of the medical profession that deals with physical illness and the part that deals with psychological illness and they need better integration.
While I'm on it, us full time carers need more support. It seems that there is almost no palliative respite care.

When you think that professional carers get paid around $20ph and the overnight rates are not much above that $20ph mark how many of them would want to service palliative clients for so little reward.

There is always the Commonwealth Respite program > https://www.google.com.au/#newwindow=1&q=commonwealth+respite+program&safe=off <
partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:48 pm

I am qualified, I just don't get paid, wouldn't mind $20 plus per hour for 7 days a week, no time off no penalty or weekend rates!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:03 pm

partypie wrote:
I am qualified, I just don't get paid, wouldn't mind $20 plus per hour for 7 days a week, no time off no penalty or weekend rates!

OK I understand your plight I really do but now your being silly. You would be on the carers Pension with the Carers payment on top of that so that's close to $1000 a fortnight you are actually eligible to be paid.

If you are having issues getting services talk to the disability commissioner in your state, this is the link to the Vic one.

http://www.odsc.vic.gov.au/

I'll tell you what Sunday rates are for Professional carers, time and 1/4 a lousy $5ph extra for giving up their Sundays. These people are not just people who "looked after a relo" and got into the job they have studied and passed at least two courses to get to where they are.
partypie 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:43 pm

Hey I don't appreciate being called silly when I am doing something no other member of my family is prepared to do even for a day. The carers payment is not the amount you state, and it really isn't enough to compensate for being out of the workforce, no super, etc. My only option for more than a few hours respite is to put my relative in a nursing home and that would not help him at all. As I am qualified and until six months ago worked in the aged and disability care sector I know how pathetic the pay rates can be.
It could be argued that the low status of carers whether paid or unpaid adds to the stigma of mental illness which is the topic being discussed.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:42 am

stui magpie wrote:
I'm guessing the people who lived at the waterside hotel didn't get anything when it was sold either.

But when Larundel got sold, the government got the money, which goes into general revenue and is able to be used for whatever, including mental health interventions.

Not quite. The whole point is that it went to consolidated revenue & less money went to those with mental illness. They used the money for other purposes. Deinsititutionalization while a wonderful thing per se was compromised by government(s) as I noted above because of issues such as:

Huge cuts to public housing. For me that is the main one.

Huge cuts to service provision per se - what's happneing in Victoria is owrse than Kennet's era in Mental health -
Huge cuts to Drug & alcohol services.

While the bureaucrats can point to increased expenditure this does not take into account demand foir such services increasing. ...service provision is severely lacking.

It's much worse for those with an ID.

The monies for the sale should have gone directly to those in need.

In terms of the Waterside Workers - my wife was given 2 weeks to find some older alcoholic's a place to live & set up services in her patch. The closure happened far too quickly for many older residents to get adequate services.

There is no comparison except that deinstitionalization depended in large part on less than adequate boading houses, SRS's: in short, dives where you woudn't put your pets. (Scams in the main where folk are poorly fed & in some / many cases be poorly treated). This shifted public responsibility to private hands - akin in some repsects to contracting out of services in terms of the worst aspects of those. This is not the entire case but the reality for many.

As an aside but related, many were locaed in suburbs like St Kilda - which have since been gentrified like the Waterside Workers hotel. Now that the gov't has opted out in a large part of public housing then those left in the margins are further disadvantaged.

The same ol' story: the rich get richer & the poor get shtuped Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: