Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hipster hangouts in Melbourne

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
If I ever found myself dressing like the dickwad with the tea cosy on his head, someone please kick my arse for me.

No offence Stui, but as someone who once boasted an impressive mullet you're surprisingly judgemental about other people's appearance. Wink

(and yes, you still have more fashion sense than me!)

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:54 pm

Careful David, your haircut only just became civilised

The back to the future doc look was hardly fashionable

(Ps call me judgemental, please, I love people watching, especially in the city, it's just so damn wierd there!)

Jeans tshirt, runners thongs or ugg boots, check!

King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Wokko wrote:
Faux luddites who like to pretentiously 'go retro' on anything that wont inconvenience them or get in the way of their Web 2.0 blogging/instagramming/tweeting. Happy to grow a beard to appear Victorian but would never use a straight razor to keep themselves tidy. Every era has it's youth image, my era had goths and grunge but never has one been as reviled as the hipster.

Punks, goths, emos were all about rebellion and counterculture. Hipsters are the conformist consumer attempt at an image. I don't know why, but I hate them.

I actually don't like hipsters either but I find that statement to be a bit ironic, especially in regards to Goths and Emos. Their idea of rebellion and counter-culture is to dress the same, act the same, and listen to same music in an attempt to NOT conform.....anyone who didn't do the same was often ridiculed as a conformist by those sub-groups.

That just seems a little backwards to me.

Last edited by King Malta on Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
slydog81 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:37 pm

Keep em north of the river where they belong.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:45 pm

King Malta wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Faux luddites who like to pretentiously 'go retro' on anything that wont inconvenience them or get in the way of their Web 2.0 blogging/instagramming/tweeting. Happy to grow a beard to appear Victorian but would never use a straight razor to keep themselves tidy. Every era has it's youth image, my era had goths and grunge but never has one been as reviled as the hipster.

Punks, goths, emos were all about rebellion and counterculture. Hipsters are the conformist consumer attempt at an image. I don't know why, but I hate them.

I actually don't like hipsters either but I find that statement to be a bit ironic, especially in regards to Goths and Emos. Their idea of rebellion and counter-culture is to dress the same, act the same, and listen to same music in an attempt to NOT conform.....anyone who didn't do the same was often ridiculed as a conformist by those sub-groups.

Kind of agree, but the mindset was anti establishment, an attempt to create a small, secondary group of 'others'. Hipsters just want to buy stuff and seem to identify with things they own. I guess to me it's like a Hallmark Counterculture. I can't put my finger on it, but it's like the ones who should be rebelling against the prevailing ideology of empty consumerism are instead embracing it.
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:50 pm

Wokko wrote:
King Malta wrote:
Wokko wrote:

Kind of agree, but the mindset was anti establishment, an attempt to create a small, secondary group of 'others'. Hipsters just want to buy stuff and seem to identify with things they own. I guess to me it's like a Hallmark Counterculture. I can't put my finger on it, but it's like the ones who should be rebelling against the prevailing ideology of empty consumerism are instead embracing it.

Yeah fair enough.

As far as Hipsters go I just find the whole movement pretentious for the sake of being pretentious and that's what annoys me about them.

I used to have a mate who was part of a wide hipster group of friends and they would often invite me to house parties, I found it hard to talk to any of them for extended lengths of time without feeling constantly spoken down to about whatever topic they were harping on about.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:29 pm

King Malta wrote:

Yeah fair enough.

As far as Hipsters go I just find the whole movement pretentious for the sake of being pretentious and that's what annoys me about them.

I used to have a mate who was part of a wide hipster group of friends and they would often invite me to house parties, I found it hard to talk to any of them for extended lengths of time without feeling constantly spoken down to about whatever topic they were harping on about.

I think they see themselves as some kind of modern nobility, so you were the peasant invited graciously into their circle. It truly is a strange phenomenon, I'm not sure what leads someone into it. I agree, everything is pretentious, but the pretentiousness is affected. They do it on purpose, whereas an ordinary pretentious twat doesn't seem to realise they're doing it. Takes the trait from annoying but endearing into rage inducingly frustrating. You did well not to flip out on them. Laughing
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:15 pm

I'm still a little confused about what is and isn't a hipster, but for me the most annoying social group is still conformists. Like the people who mindlessly clapped along to George Bush's speech to the Australian parliament in 2003 and silenced Bob Brown and Kerry Nettle when they gave Bush a taste of the "freedom" that he was supposedly fighting for. Or the Collingwood members who essentially did the same thing to the (admittedly much more annoying) dissenters at the AGM a couple of years back. These people will defend the establishment at any cost, whatever it happens to be. This is the kind of social group that would happily lynch anyone who questions the norm or behaves differently. I kind of suspect that a lot of people who really hate hipsters belong to this category.
blackmissionary Cancer

Lurker King

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:30 pm

David wrote:
I'm still a little confused about what is and isn't a hipster

This may or may not help

https://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html
Mountains Magpie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:08 pm

slydog81 wrote:
Keep em north of the river where they belong.

If it's the Yarra then the kind folk of Victoria can sort it out.

If it's the Murray, well, we don't want 'em. We probably have enough already Laughing

Loved this from the article:

"the hipster represents the end of Western civilization – a culture lost in the superficiality of its past and unable to create any new meaning"

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Do you mean you and me have?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:09 pm

David wrote:
I'm still a little confused about what is and isn't a hipster, but for me the most annoying social group is still conformists. Like the people who mindlessly clapped along to George Bush's speech to the Australian parliament in 2003 and silenced Bob Brown and Kerry Nettle when they gave Bush a taste of the "freedom" that he was supposedly fighting for. Or the Collingwood members who essentially did the same thing to the (admittedly much more annoying) dissenters at the AGM a couple of years back. These people will defend the establishment at any cost, whatever it happens to be. This is the kind of social group that would happily lynch anyone who questions the norm or behaves differently. I kind of suspect that a lot of people who really hate hipsters belong to this category.

Yes, too true!

The difference between the mental concept of "authority" and "authority embedded in a hierarchy" (i.e., how authority works in the world), is instructive here I think, and may also explain the contradiction of the conservative poor forever voting against their own interests. Such people often hate authority (see Libertarians/tea partyists, or whatever), but remain obsessively attached to order, even when they're the victims of that order.

Hence, when anyone rattles the system—even when rightly defending something extremely obviously sane such as healthcare, minimum wages, staying the hell out of destructive wars—the "law and order" folks turn on them for defying the masters and not knowing their place in the present order.

The trivial expression of this is when such folks rail against those who defy the beloved order even aesthetically. Note the disdain for alternative dress and music, abstract art, etc. Even worse, "hipsters" come across as having healthy or even inflated self esteems! How dare they imagine they're so wonderful when they're not even multi-millionaires! They haven't earned the right to imagine they're so good given they're not at the top of the hierarchy! (And perhaps this also explains the contempt for "latte sippers" and academics).

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:19 pm

pietillidie wrote:
How dare they imagine they're so wonderful when they're not even multi-millionaires! They haven't earned the right to imagine they're so good given they're not at the top of the hierarchy! (And perhaps this also explains the contempt for "latte sippers" and academics).

Nope, it's just that they're interminable wankers.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:43 pm

Wokko wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
How dare they imagine they're so wonderful when they're not even multi-millionaires! They haven't earned the right to imagine they're so good given they're not at the top of the hierarchy! (And perhaps this also explains the contempt for "latte sippers" and academics).

Nope, it's just that they're interminable wankers.

Kee rect. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:52 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
If I ever found myself dressing like the dickwad with the tea cosy on his head, someone please kick my arse for me.

No offence Stui, but as someone who once boasted an impressive mullet you're surprisingly judgemental about other people's appearance. Wink

(and yes, you still have more fashion sense than me!)

HAH, no offence taken and yes it was a brilliant mullet, but you only have to google photos from that era to see I wasn't on my pat malone there. Plus, I genuinely prefer my hair long. It just doesn't quite work as an option at the moment though. Sad

As far as being judgemental about appearance, yep ya got me. I have my personal prejudices and I judge people based on their appearance all the time. I'd be surprised if most people didn't do the same.

I know it's superficial and I'm personally a good example. Not many people who saw me in my gardening clothes at Bunnings on the weekend would suspect I wear a suit to an office job for work.

For mine, the whole thing wrong with the hipster look is that it isn't that they don't care what they look like (like you) it's that they dress extremely carefully to create the illusion that they got dressed in the dark at the second hand shop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: