Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

WA Senate Election (mark 2)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:31 pm
Post subject: WA Senate Election (mark 2)Reply with quote

Though we probably won't know the outcome for a couple of weeks, tomorrow's re-run of the WA Senate Election will have a huge impact on the short-term (and possibly long-term) future of the country. Depending on who gets elected, Abbott will have a friendly senate through which to push his 'reforms', the Palmer comedy bloc will have their balance of power, or Labor and the Greens will be able to obstruct many of the Libs' crazier proposals.

Personally, I'm staunchly in the Vote 1 Scott Ludlam crowd, mostly because he's the best politician in parliament. I'm also hoping that this election marks the first backlash against the Coalition—if they're restricted to 3 or even 2 seats that would warm my heart greatly.

Meanwhile, the ALP's number one Senate candidate has put forward a compelling case as to why Western Australians should vote Labor:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/04/labor-wa-senate-candidate-joe-bullock-says-party-cant-be-trusted

Quote:
In a speech to a Christian group, the Dawson Society last November, available on its website, Bullock said people like him and the Christian audience he was addressing needed to be involved in the Labor party because “the buggers might win, and if they win they either drive the country straight off the cliff or there are some people around to say hello, we really should reconsider this policy, this isn’t the right thing to do”.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/audio/2014/apr/04/listen-wa-senator-joe-bullock-speech-in-full-audio

“The problem the Labor party has got is this … when the Labor party – and sooner or later I am going to have to stop thinking of the Labor party as ‘them’ and start accepting some ownership of it – when the Labor party says to voters trust us, we have your interests at heart, the voters don’t trust them,” Bullock said.

“And the voters are right, the Labor party haven’t demonstrated they are capable of being trusted to look after the interests of working people and their families.”.

Bullock, who worked with Abbott more than 30 years ago to take over the Sydney University Liberal club and had already been elected to the Senate in last September’s election at the time of the speech, said of the prime minister: “I know his core beliefs, I know what they were, because we were close and politically active together … I think he has the potential to be a good prime minister.”

Um, yeah. Vote for that guy.

What's shit is that Bullock is nearly 100% guaranteed of getting a Senate seat, whereas Ludlam will have to scrap for 5th or 6th place. I know who I'd rather have in there.

Last edited by David on Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph Weizenbaum. Smile
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:49 am

I thought only Stui was allowed to start political threads?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:28 am

^

Damn straight.

David, consider yourself chastised. Wink

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:55 am

I'm voting for the legalise pot party.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:10 pm

^ Good on ya. Smile I'd preference them fairly highly too.

I hope nobody votes for Palmer. It seems like one of the things Tories and progressives can agree on:

SirLez wrote:
Being an LNP voter, all I can say is that anyone who votes for this clown Palmer is in need of serious help. Clive is all about Clive, nothing else and if he can get enough of his brain dead puppets in to the senate, he will use that power to get what Clive wants. Palmer is a left over relic of the Bjelke Peterson days, the most corrupt state government in Australian political history and Clive was a member of Joe's inner circle. Just that fact alone is enough to wake anybody up to what Palmer is all about.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/04/clive-palmer-says-pup-senators-will-vote-to-repeal-carbon-tax

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:39 pm

^ What, more corrupt than the Liberals? That's a very tall order.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:53 pm

David wrote:
^ Good on ya. Smile I'd preference them fairly highly too.

After seeing some of your posts lately I can almost honestly say I am shocked! Shocked
partypie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:56 pm

The major parties are a bit on the nose, with it being a mystery how Bullock got the number 1 senate spot, and the revelations about Sinodinis ( who looks like a telly tubby) and Sydney Water harming the Liberals. Scott Ludlam has run an impressive campaign for the greens.
I'm with Skids about legalising pot.
partypie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:56 pm

The major parties are a bit on the nose, with it being a mystery how Bullock got the number 1 senate spot, and the revelations about Sinodinis ( who looks like a telly tubby) and Sydney Water harming the Liberals. Scott Ludlam has run an impressive campaign for the greens.
I'm with Skids about legalising pot.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:57 pm

1061 wrote:
[quote="David"]^ Good on ya. Smile I'd preference them fairly highly too.
[/quote]

After seeing some of your posts lately I can almost honestly say I am shocked! Shocked
By the way, do you mind if I ask you a personal question?
laird 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:13 pm

Skids wrote:
I'm voting for the legalise pot party.

Go HEMP!

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:13 pm

The LDP want to legalize pot. Vote 1 box (Mary)J.

http://www.ldp.org.au/index.php/policies/1268-cannabis

As it stands the LDP senator is the only one in the house FOR the total legalization. I think the greens might lean somewhat that way too with medical use only however.

EDIT

http://www.afr.com/p/business/healthcare2-0/marijuana_is_just_good_medicine_ET2czXhdXPL1ZRyE4u4rAO

Article from David Leyonhjelm, LDP senator on pot (about pot, not written while on pot... I think).
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:29 am

Well, it'll take up to a month for the results to be finalised, but the Greens and Palmer parties have done very well:

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/wa-senate-2014/results/

With 68.7% of the vote counted, here are the percentages:

Liberal 33.7%
Labor 21.8%
Greens 15.9%
Palmer 12.5%
Nationals 3.1%
Other 13%

Greens have had a swing towards them of over 6%, and the two major parties have lost 5% each. Terrible result for Labor, in particular.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:47 am

David wrote:
Greens have had a swing towards them of over 6%, and the two major parties have lost 5% each. Terrible result for Labor, in particular.

Given Labor's hopeless #1 candidate, they've done very well. How Labor's pre-selection process can come up with turkeys as bad as this one is quite beyond me. It would never happen in the Liberal Party. Er ... Senator Bestiality, Senator Abetz, Christopher Pyne, Western Austalian Senator Mathias Cormann ... Sorry. As you were.

PS: nice to see the utter silence today from those low-intelligence posters here who sing and dance and post at odious length every time they see a small drop in the Green vote.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: