Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Peter Daicos - Josh & Nick Daicos, The Club, '81 GF, '90

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:24 am
Post subject: Peter Daicos - Josh & Nick Daicos, The Club, '81 GF, '90Reply with quote

Peter Daicos was the speaker at the Sydney Collingwood Pre-Game function for the Swans game.

Here are some of the notes from the talk and Q&A.

- He has two sons Josh Daicos (15) and Nick Daicos (11). Future Magpie stars?

- When filming the movie "The Club", in the fight scene in the change rooms, he was actually kneed in the balls by Jeff Haywood. He had to walk away casually like nothing had happened.

- When filming "The Club" they were paid $100 per day by the studios, compared to the $75 per game he was getting for playing senior football (compare that to today's money).

- Daicos used to cut his jumper under each underarm as he liked to have more room to move is arms.

- He has had 16 operations on his knee. No cartilage left.

- In the 1990 Grand Final after the fight at Quarter Time Gavin Brown was being held up as he was being dragged off the field. Next thing he hears this huge cheer and Gavin Brown is walking unaided from the field. He walks up to Gavin and says "good on you Rowdy"... Rowdy turns to Daicos and says, "Oh hey Mum, what are you doing here?". Then had to be helped off the ground again.

- At Quarter Time in the 1990 Grand Final Leigh Matthews said to the players that Essendon had taken their eyes off the ball and were now playing the man. If the Collingwood players went for the ball in the second quarter the umpires would take control of the game. As we know Collingwood players went for the ball, Essendon kept swinging at Pies players, and there were a number of crucial free kicks and 50m penalties that eventuated in Pies goals. Goos coaching from Leigh Matthews.

- The night before the 1981 Grand Final between Carlton & Collingwood, Carlton fans sent firetrucks and ambulances to his house in the middle of the night to keep him awake. His parents didn't get any sleep but he slept really well in the granny flat out the back.

- There was also a question about the 1990 Pre-season "Bush Trip" where a number of the players were lost. Daicos didn't go on it. Has anyone add anymore to that story?

- He also loves his footy with his kids, coaching and developing young players.

- A few people asked if he would consider helping the current Collingwood team with their kicking. He said at 52 he has been out of the game for a long time. He has been asked down twice to help... Once he was asked to help for one day per week (a long time ago) but he said that he would need to do the job full-time in order to understand the players and understand what motivated them, etc. And recently he was asked to help do some 1:1 work with a player.

Really friendly. Walked around and spoke to everyone. Signed everything. Some good stories.

Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Out: Lappin. In: Macedonian Marvel.
blackandwhite4life Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:47 pm

Daics was great!

Could have listened to him for another hour. Also loved the story of the 15 year old he was coaching who had the ability to kick the 'Daicos-like' goal, with Daics as coach telling him he needed to do the 'team' thing and centre the ball. Just like he used to do. Not! The kid kicks the goal in an important game then turns around to give coach Daicos the finger!

Well done to The SCSC for organising his visit.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:41 pm
Post subject: Re: Peter Daicos - Josh & Nick Daicos, The Club, '81 GF,Reply with quote

stoliboy wrote:
Peter Daicos was the speaker at the Sydney Collingwood Pre-Game function for the Swans game.

- When filming the movie "The Club", in the fight scene in the change rooms, he was actually kneed in the balls by Jeff Haywood. He had to walk away casually like nothing had happened.

Well, the actor was John Howard, and Jeff Hayward the character, and i am being somewhat anal.

stoliboy wrote:
He has had 16 operations on his knee. No cartilage left.

Why am i not surprised? My next small busniess? Genetically engineered knee cartilage; i'll making a killing i tells ya!

stoliboy wrote:
In the 1990 Grand Final after the fight at Quarter Time Gavin Brown was being held up as he was being dragged off the field. Next thing he hears this huge cheer and Gavin Brown is walking unaided from the field. He walks up to Gavin and says "good on you Rowdy"... Rowdy turns to Daicos and says, "Oh hey Mum, what are you doing here?". Then had to be helped off the ground again!

Hysterical! i'd never heard that before!

stoliboy wrote:
At Quarter Time in the 1990 Grand Final Leigh Matthews said to the players that Essendon had taken their eyes off the ball and were now playing the man. If the Collingwood players went for the ball in the second quarter the umpires would take control of the game. As we know Collingwood players went for the ball, Essendon kept swinging at Pies players, and there were a number of crucial free kicks and 50m penalties that eventuated in Pies goals. Good coaching from Leigh Matthews.

That strategy has gone into footy folklore, and the rest is history.
I consider that the single most important instruction a Collingwood coach has given his players to follow in my lifetime.

stoliboy wrote:
The night before the 1981 Grand Final between Carlton & Collingwood, Carlton fans sent firetrucks and ambulances to his house in the middle of the night to keep him awake. His parents didn't get any sleep but he slept really well in the granny flat out the back.

See, this is what happens when you give retards access to telephones...

stoliboy wrote:
There was also a question about the 1990 Pre-season "Bush Trip" where a number of the players were lost. Daicos didn't go on it. Has anyone add anymore to that story?

I think that was actually the 1988 pre-season camp where Matthews had the players bond after the learning curve of 1987.
Millane reportadly smuggled a gorilla suit into the camp, and woke Browny up during the night scaring the shit out of him. As only Millane could in a gorilla suit i suppose.

Well documented Stols, some nice little anecdotes there!

Big T wrote:

T, can we save those erotic fantasies for the bedroom please? Razz

Dyso
Big T 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:06 pm
Post subject: Re: Peter Daicos - Josh & Nick Daicos, The Club, '81 GF,Reply with quote

piedys wrote:
Big T wrote:

Dyso

Oh I will Dyso, I will Twisted Evil

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:58 pm

piedys wrote:
stoliboy wrote:

Well, the actor was John Howard, and Jeff Hayward the character, and i am being somewhat anal.

stoliboy wrote:
He has had 16 operations on his knee. No cartilage left.

Why am i not surprised? My next small busniess? Genetically engineered knee cartilage; i'll making a killing i tells ya!

stoliboy wrote:
In the 1990 Grand Final after the fight at Quarter Time Gavin Brown was being held up as he was being dragged off the field. Next thing he hears this huge cheer and Gavin Brown is walking unaided from the field. He walks up to Gavin and says "good on you Rowdy"... Rowdy turns to Daicos and says, "Oh hey Mum, what are you doing here?". Then had to be helped off the ground again!

Hysterical! i'd never heard that before!

stoliboy wrote:
At Quarter Time in the 1990 Grand Final Leigh Matthews said to the players that Essendon had taken their eyes off the ball and were now playing the man. If the Collingwood players went for the ball in the second quarter the umpires would take control of the game. As we know Collingwood players went for the ball, Essendon kept swinging at Pies players, and there were a number of crucial free kicks and 50m penalties that eventuated in Pies goals. Good coaching from Leigh Matthews.

That strategy has gone into footy folklore, and the rest is history.
I consider that the single most important instruction a Collingwood coach has given his players to follow in my lifetime.

stoliboy wrote:
The night before the 1981 Grand Final between Carlton & Collingwood, Carlton fans sent firetrucks and ambulances to his house in the middle of the night to keep him awake. His parents didn't get any sleep but he slept really well in the granny flat out the back.

See, this is what happens when you give retards access to telephones...

stoliboy wrote:
There was also a question about the 1990 Pre-season "Bush Trip" where a number of the players were lost. Daicos didn't go on it. Has anyone add anymore to that story?

I think that was actually the 1988 pre-season camp where Matthews had the players bond after the learning curve of 1987.
Millane reportadly smuggled a gorilla suit into the camp, and woke Browny up during the night scaring the shit out of him. As only Millane could in a gorilla suit i suppose.

Well documented Stols, some nice little anecdotes there!

Big T wrote:

Dyso

Found a little more on the "Bush Trip" in an article on Leigh Matthews's Autobiography, "Accept The Challenge":

Matthews also said an ill-fated trek to the Alpine National Park before Christmas in 1987 - one where the majority of the Magpies squad became lost and only emerged from the bush almost two days after their scheduled arrival time at a meeting point - had given the team a sense of fraternity that played a part in Collingwood's rise to the finals in 1988.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/matthews-ponders-a-tale-of-two-clokes/agdpm4u8599w1r7qhu55ouzwr

Daicos said the players were walking in the dark and ended up with badly blistered feet.

Another funny comment from Daicos when asked how he personally went in the 1990 GF fight, he said, "I won my fight, I won my fight by about 100 metres"... being near the bench at the time of the brawl.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:00 pm

Daics is one of the friendliest blokes you'll ever meet.

That pre-season camp is documented in detail in Leigh Mathews' book. Have a read of it. His whole time at Collingwood is covered very well.

Doc63 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:15 pm

Peter Daicos is a 24 carat legend.
loki04 Leo

Tiger Treloar lmfao NOPE.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:22 pm

blackandwhite4life wrote:
Daics was great!

Could have listened to him for another hour. Also loved the story of the 15 year old he was coaching who had the ability to kick the 'Daicos-like' goal, with Daics as coach telling him he needed to do the 'team' thing and centre the ball. Just like he used to do. Not! The kid kicks the goal in an important game then turns around to give coach Daicos the finger!

Well done to The SCSC for organising his visit.

Gee I hope that 15 year old was his son!

On his son has he shown any footballing talent?

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:54 pm

I was devastated when he retired!

What a LEGEND he was!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:53 pm

Only two boys ? That's a travesty ; If I had my way, I've have created a stud farm purely for him. One of the greatest players ever to pull on the black and white, and a delightful and modest man as well.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:21 pm

Thanks for the post stoliboy, Daics is still my all-time-favourite. I enjoyed reading the recap. Smile
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:21 am

Great post Stoliboy. Loved reading your post about how things went with Daics with the SCSC last night!

Some very interesting stories as well by the sounds of it.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:15 pm

stoliboy wrote:
Found a little more on the "Bush Trip" in an article on Leigh Matthews's Autobiography, "Accept The Challenge":

Matthews also said an ill-fated trek to the Alpine National Park before Christmas in 1987 - one where the majority of the Magpies squad became lost and only emerged from the bush almost two days after their scheduled arrival time at a meeting point - had given the team a sense of fraternity that played a part in Collingwood's rise to the finals in 1988.

http://www.sportal.com.au/afl/afl-premiership/matthews-ponders-a-tale-of-two-clokes/agdpm4u8599w1r7qhu55ouzwr

Daicos said the players were walking in the dark and ended up with badly blistered feet.

Yeah Stols, that sounds about right. I do recall hearing that those days lost in the bush in particular, bonded the group.

Once the pain of 2002/2003 subsides, then, and only then, will i read LM's book.

Mugwump wrote:
Only two boys ? That's a travesty; If I had my way, I've have created a stud farm purely for him. One of the greatest players ever to pull on the black and white, and a delightful and modest man as well.

Well Mugs, there were certainly plenty of phillies prior to Cindy and Collette, wanting to be sired by him, I tell you...
But yes, Daicos DNA is indeed priceless.

ANNODAM wrote:
I was devastated when he retired!

What a LEGEND he was!

ANNODAM, he was actually "retired" by Barney Fatguts, prior to the 1994 home&away season. He actually played one game with Buckley in the pre-season comp. He didn't voluntarily elect to retire as such at that time, and certainly would have demanded a game ahead of some of the retarded squibs on that 1994 list.

And what a LEGEND he IS! Wink

Dyso
Didaksgoal Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks for that post, Stoliboy. A great read indeed. A great Collingwood player.

Go the Pies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: