Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should I become a vegetarian?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I become a vegetarian?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Yes, and I should become a vegan too
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
No, but I should start consuming meat from more ethical sources
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
No
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
It really doesn't matter either way
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:58 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm Scottish (to a degree) and I love Black Pud.
I went to the Station Hotel in Footscray and they had a Black Pud Pizza on the menu. YUM!!
Everyone else I was with was revolted, but ha ha then it's all for me!

I reiterate that I do honestly understand and admire vegetarianism, but maybe my genes are from a place where for 8 months of the year no plant life grows, so you eat what you can. That means pickled crap, preserved/salted bollocks and don't ever throw anything away.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:04 pm

It's a bit like motoring. Few people who are concerned about global warming decline to drive at all. And that's pretty much how I feel about it. Red meat is an environmentally negative thing to consume, so eat (singificantly) less of it.

Ethically, i know it does not feel right to slaughter an animal, but most animals that are born into the wild die very horribly - so quick, humane slaughter is probably better than the average animal death. As someone said, it's the quality of care in life that matters as much as anything : Free range chicken, organic farming from countries with strong welfare laws.

Humanity probably is the skin cancer of the earth, but eating less meat adds some sunscreen.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:28 pm

Mugwump wrote:
It's a bit like motoring. Few people who are concerned about global warming decline to drive at all. And that's pretty much how I feel about it. Red meat is an environmentally negative thing to consume, so eat (singificantly) less of it.

Ethically, i know it does not feel right to slaughter an animal, but most animals that are born into the wild die very horribly - so quick, humane slaughter is probably better than the average animal death. As someone said, it's the quality of care in life that matters as much as anything : Free range chicken, organic farming from countries with strong welfare laws.

Humanity probably is the skin cancer of the earth, but eating less meat adds some sunscreen.

Gees that's a poetic post. Well done.

And six points, I just googled black pudding, and OMG I wish I hadn't, ugh!
But then you guys eat haggis too! Wink

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:38 pm

sixpoints wrote:
I'm Scottish (to a degree) and I love Black Pud.
I went to the Station Hotel in Footscray and they had a Black Pud Pizza on the menu. YUM!!
Everyone else I was with was revolted, but ha ha then it's all for me!

I reiterate that I do honestly understand and admire vegetarianism, but maybe my genes are from a place where for 8 months of the year no plant life grows, so you eat what you can. That means pickled crap, preserved/salted bollocks and don't ever throw anything away.

Black pudding pizza is a culinary crime - eeeeuww... What's next, liver pizza ? I am assuming you don't actually literally eat salted bollocks in Scotland, but you're a strange mob up there and anyhting's possible !
Ps viva the Union !

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:49 pm

Arch@M32 wrote:
I did too. I just didn't feel a few seconds of sensory gratification was worth the life of another species or the starvation of members of our own.

What about those animals that would have never lived had we not bred them for eating?

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:55 pm

Salted bollocks was a fun generalization. But if most of your nation lies between 54 -57 degrees latitude, then your native cuisine will resultantly be somewhat compromised.
Salted bollocks = preserved stored animal protein mixed with grains during Nov-Mar when plants don't grow. eg black pud, white pud & haggis.
As for the Union.....I reckon we are capable of determining our own destiny. If you do ever make it to Scotland you will very soon realize it not a region, not a county, it is a separate COUNTRY!

Last edited by sixpoints on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:57 pm

sixpoints wrote:
Salted bollocks was a fun generalization. But if most if your nation lies between 54 -57 degrees latitude, then your native cuisine will resultantly be somewhat compromised.
Salted bollocks = preserved stored animal protein mixed with grains during Nov-Mar when plants don't grow. eg black pud, white pud & haggis.

Phew ! Smile

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:54 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
Arch@M32 wrote:
I did too. I just didn't feel a few seconds of sensory gratification was worth the life of another species or the starvation of members of our own.

What about those animals that would have never lived had we not bred them for eating?

Inkling, really! Utilitarians of the world are collectively shaking their heads and moaning at that post. Wink

(for what it's worth, I, like them, am far more interested in the welfare of actual beings than the welfare of potential beings. Though I'm a bit embarrassed about this thread bump because it reminds me that my vegetarianism lasted all of 4 weeks. Embarassed)

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:56 pm

Can you remember any time that [quote] What about those animals that would have did it?
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:04 pm

No. As a matter of fact we should BBQ Arch@32 and eat him just to make a point.

No sure what the point is but I'm sure he'd taste great medium rare.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:06 pm

David wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Arch@M32 wrote:

Inkling, really! Utilitarians of the world are collectively shaking their heads and moaning at that post. Wink

(for what it's worth, I, like them, am far more interested in the welfare of actual beings than the welfare of potential beings. Though I'm a bit embarrassed about this thread bump because it reminds me that my vegetarianism lasted all of 4 weeks. Embarassed)

Ah yes, the sneaky chicken!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:33 am

5150 wrote:
No. As a matter of fact we should BBQ Arch@32 and eat him just to make a point.

No sure what the point is but I'm sure he'd taste great medium rare.

Ya reckon if we scored and salted him first we could get him to crackle up?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6   

Jump to: