Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should I become a vegetarian?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I become a vegetarian?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Yes, and I should become a vegan too
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
No, but I should start consuming meat from more ethical sources
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
No
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
It really doesn't matter either way
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

luvdids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
I love the taste of meat but I got to a point where my beliefs were so strong I couldn't chew it, couldn't swallow it no matter how much I tried it just made me dry reach

Easy to fix. Just start eating vomit. Cheap, nutritious, easy to digest, packed full of healthy vitamins and minerals, what's not to like?

Or plan B, cook a rare steak, cut it in strips and just suck the juice out of it.

Speaking of steak, there's some seriously good looking meat restaurants in cairns within staggering distance from my hotel. One of them is a Brazilian bbq joint that looks amazing. For $40 you get a bunch of different meats including pork crackle, steak, lamb, sausages..............drool. potential meat coma coming up.

Actually, this is the bbq joint http://www.bushfirecairns.com

Looks like an interesting place. Although I think I'd pass due to all the surcharges! A lot of the menu is that 'hot stone' crap that you have to cook yourself, then there's a credit card surcharge, split bill surcharge & public holiday surcharge!! So you go there, cook your own food & possibly cop 3 surcharges for the privilege. Pass.

Went there tonight, im full as a fat womans sock. I didnt cook anything, they just kept bringing more meat to me until I thought I would explode. God, I may not eat again til sunday.

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:29 pm

I do like this one Smile

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:17 am

Found this on DEPI website regarding deer hunting:

Quote:
Respect dispatched game

Once a deer is dispatched it should be properly handled to minimise waste. Bring out as much meat as you can and ensure that the carcass is not left near a road, track or a waterway. Never shoot an animal if you know you cannot carry it out. Avoid wasting a valuable game resource. Prepare game quickly and never leave game to waste.

It is also important to respect the views of other members of the community when transporting trophies and other parts of harvested deer. Never display a deer on the way home. Wherever possible, cover the carcass and head with a blanket or tarpaulin.

http://www.depi.vic.gov.au/fishing-and-hunting/game-hunting/deer/guidelines-for-ethical-hunting-of-deer

So intrepid hunters who want to catch some self sufficient dinner, you're free to do so. Just don't mount the head as a hood ornament on your way home. Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:24 pm

So, in the other thread David you said you were now 12 days into the month and haven't eaten any flesh, including fish.

So, I'm curious, what's been on the menu? What kinds of things have you been eating?

I'm guessing Breakfast is easy, so many options that don't involve meat, but it starts getting more difficult after that.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:00 pm

Thanks for the thread bump Stui. Smile

Yep, breakfast has been easy. Dinner's not too bad either, as Lola and I already are vegetarian foods most nights (we used to eat seafood laksas and curries, but it's not that hard to either go for the vegetarian option or leave the prawns for Lola (we generally share meals). Lunch has been hardest—I often used to get stuff like meat pies or chicken Subway rolls, so I've had to start consciously choosing vegetarian options. Otherwise, I'm going well. Haven't lapsed yet. Smile

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:32 pm

Interesting, see for me dinner would be the hardest.

I can easily go a no meat option at lunch time, grab a salad in a bowl, or salad sandwich, even a vegetarian pasta.

Dinner is when I would really struggle. I do it often enough just because i feel like it (having a meat free day) but no chance I would do it for a month let alone long term

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:35 pm

You been eating chicken? Razz
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:47 pm

No, but Lola has. Possibly just to spite me. Laughing
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:44 pm

David wrote:
No, but Lola has. Possibly just to spite me. Laughing

I'll save the pic for prosperity

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:28 pm

Well, I managed to get through April without partaking in any animal flesh. I think I'm happy to keep going, but I'm wavering on whether I should just not eat meat at all or to stick to meat from 'ethical' sources. At least I know that I can do it now.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:06 pm

I'll get the missus to make Lola a spanakopita and I'll slip you a steak and kidney pie under the table.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:54 pm

My main issue is that this thread reminds me way too much of religious dietary laws. I actually favour vegetarianism, but if the motive is a combination of health, the environment and animal welfare, that can all be achieved without the quasi cult-like language of abstinence, commitment, attainment, penance, and so on.

As I say, how about minimising the red meat as much as practicable, choosing and promoting/supporting free range as much as possible, and eating seafood caught responsibly and lower-down the food chain?

It would be infinitely easier to reduce the negative impacts of meat by reducing consumption and improving choices, than by imposing questionable fundamentalist strictures and moral claims on people.

No, fish aren't people too, and meat is not murder. More than a modest amount of red meat is unhealthy, while many meat sources are often cruel and environmentally destructive. Meanwhile, raising creatures to kill them in the face of plenty is a rather miserable course of action at best. But drawing too sharp a moral line is counterproductive and stinks of bad religion and fundamentalist psychiatry.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 7:11 pm

^

Lets keep in mind that many fish sources are being over fished. We're potentially doing to the fish what the septics did to the Bison.

I do agree on the language though, it's not deliberate by David I assume but it's consistent with what you say.

Personally, I like red meat. I'll eat David's share.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:31 pm

pietillidie wrote:
My main issue is that this thread reminds me way too much of religious dietary laws. I actually favour vegetarianism, but if the motive is a combination of health, the environment and animal welfare, that can all be achieved without the quasi cult-like language of abstinence, commitment, attainment, penance, and so on.

As I say, how about minimising the red meat as much as practicable, choosing and promoting/supporting free range as much as possible, and eating seafood caught responsibly and lower-down the food chain?

It would be infinitely easier to reduce the negative impacts of meat by reducing consumption and improving choices, than by imposing questionable fundamentalist strictures and moral claims on people.

No, fish aren't people too, and meat is not murder. More than a modest amount of red meat is unhealthy, while many meat sources are often cruel and environmentally destructive. Meanwhile, raising creatures to kill them in the face of plenty is a rather miserable course of action at best. But drawing too sharp a moral line is counterproductive and stinks of bad religion and fundamentalist psychiatry.

I think my problem is that I still haven't adequately resolved my stance on the whole thing.

I was talking to Lola about it the other day and she was echoing your stance a little—talking about the importance of balance. But balance seems like a relative thing; what, after all, is a balanced approach to not assaulting people or not benefiting from third world exploitation? That you have to draw the line somewhere arbitrarily seems clear, but that doesn't make it easy to work out where to do it.

But I definitely agree that I shouldn't be importing the guilty/purity sensibility of fundamentalist religion here. But what implications this all has on whether or not I should eat seafood are a little difficult to resolve, I think.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 12:21 am

Dump the moral stance. It just confuses the issue.

Take a straight out logical stance, make a decision, whatever it is, and go with it. When you waver, you have the logic you originally used to support you.

Logic >>>>>>>>>>>emotion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: