Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should I become a vegetarian?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should I become a vegetarian?
Yes
18%
 18%  [ 4 ]
Yes, and I should become a vegan too
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
No, but I should start consuming meat from more ethical sources
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
No
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
It really doesn't matter either way
22%
 22%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 22

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:27 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
Pretty sure it is on private property. I used to shoot roos on private farmland back in the 80's, don't know if laws have changed since then.

Nope. It is certainly illegal without a permit, and has been for as long as I can remember. In the '80s, maybe it was still legal. In any case, people often do it and seldom get prosecuted. Provided we are talking actual roos and not one of the less common species, and provided that the slaughter leaves a decent-size breeding population for future years, I don't think there is any harm in it.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:36 pm

Being forced to bury a carcass is shameful and disgustingly wasteful. There wouldn't be anywhere near enough subsistence hunters these days to effect the population of Kangaroo and hunting wild game in my opinion is ethically superior to harvesting grown meat in factory farms.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:07 pm

It does seem an odd rule given the many kangaroos left along the side of the road from car accidents.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:25 pm

David wrote:
It does seem an odd rule given the many kangaroos left along the side of the road from car accidents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadkill_cuisine Laughing
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:25 pm

Wokko wrote:
Being forced to bury a carcass is shameful and disgustingly wasteful. There wouldn't be anywhere near enough subsistence hunters these days to effect the population of Kangaroo and hunting wild game in my opinion is ethically superior to harvesting grown meat in factory farms.

I agree

David wrote:

The purpose of the rule is no doubt to prevent rorts. With ecological thinning of regrowth (an area of which I have greater knowledge, and which is conceptually and administratively similar) the problem, historically, has been that people claim that they want to improve the condition of the woodland by removing (say) 70% of the weakest trees. This allows the stronger, better-established trees to thrive, and promotes a much healthier, more natural habitat with very much higher species diversity. (Regrowth, where a forest or woodland has been destroyed by wholesale logging, as nearly all of our forests and woodlands have been at one time or another, usually has many more trees per hectare than natural bush. It is almost always unhealthy. Nature will eventually thin the regrowth out and restore the balance, but the process takes a very long time, on the order of hundreds of years.)

Why not simply allow commercial operators to take (say) 50% of the trees for firewood or timber. They make a profit, they supply valuable products to the community, and the forest is improved as well. What could be better? Simply, because experience has shown that the loggers (being human and greedy) take the easiest and most commercially valuable trees first, leaving only the weakest, most disease-ridden ones behind. Instead of improving the habitat, they make it even worse. This is why DSE has been so very strongly against commercial thinning.

In recent years, a number of schemes have been trialled where the trees to be thinned are marked by an ecologist who has no commercial interest at stake and a good knowledge of habitat health, and only those trees are removed. This largely prevents cheating. Success has been mixed so far, partly because of the very low value of timber products generally and particularly of small, unhealthy trees, meaning that the commercial operator struggles to make a living doing this. Over time, we can hope for refinements of the system to produce more useful results.

You can make your own links to the rather similar system with kangaroos.

In Queensland and NSW where there are large, ongoing roo harvests, there are well-established rules about which roos can be taken (mostly young males) at under what circumstances, and also a set quota which varies from year to year based on population levels and feed availability. (This all takes place in the far inland, where drought years and flood years are common.)

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:03 pm

I love the taste of meat but I got to a point where my beliefs were so strong I couldn't chew it, couldn't swallow it no matter how much I tried it just made me dry reach - so now I don't eat it! But don't think for a minute that I don't miss it

Hypocrite much as I still eat seafood Confused

I supplement my diet with red wine - Cab Sav preferably and I am hardly pale and pasty Razz

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:07 pm

You love the taste of meat but he or she got to a point where his or her beliefs so strong he or she couldn't chew it couldn't swallow it no matter how much he or she tried it made dry reach - so he or she don't eat it are so strong he or she couldn't chew it couldn't swallow it no matter how much he or she tried it. What do you like about the taste of meat but he or she got to a point where his or her beliefs so strong he or she couldn't chew it couldn't swallow it no matter how much he or she tried it made dry reach - so he or she don't eat it are so strong he or she couldn't chew it couldn't swallow it no matter how much he or she tried it so much?
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:19 pm

Morrigu wrote:
I love the taste of meat but I got to a point where my beliefs were so strong I couldn't chew it, couldn't swallow it no matter how much I tried it just made me dry reach

Easy to fix. Just start eating vomit. Cheap, nutritious, easy to digest, packed full of healthy vitamins and minerals, what's not to like?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:45 pm

Tannin wrote:
Morrigu wrote:
I love the taste of meat but I got to a point where my beliefs were so strong I couldn't chew it, couldn't swallow it no matter how much I tried it just made me dry reach

Easy to fix. Just start eating vomit. Cheap, nutritious, easy to digest, packed full of healthy vitamins and minerals, what's not to like?

Bwwahhhh - 30 odd years of nursing makes me a vomit expert- thanks but no thanks ta muchly Razz

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:09 pm

Tannin wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Or plan B, cook a rare steak, cut it in strips and just suck the juice out of it.

Speaking of steak, there's some seriously good looking meat restaurants in cairns within staggering distance from my hotel. One of them is a Brazilian bbq joint that looks amazing. For $40 you get a bunch of different meats including pork crackle, steak, lamb, sausages..............drool. potential meat coma coming up.

Actually, this is the bbq joint http://www.bushfirecairns.com

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:32 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
Morrigu wrote:

Or plan B, cook a rare steak, cut it in strips and just suck the juice out of it.

Speaking of steak, there's some seriously good looking meat restaurants in cairns within staggering distance from my hotel. One of them is a Brazilian bbq joint that looks amazing. For $40 you get a bunch of different meats including pork crackle, steak, lamb, sausages..............drool. potential meat coma coming up.

Actually, this is the bbq joint http://www.bushfirecairns.com

Looks like an interesting place. Although I think I'd pass due to all the surcharges! A lot of the menu is that 'hot stone' crap that you have to cook yourself, then there's a credit card surcharge, split bill surcharge & public holiday surcharge!! So you go there, cook your own food & possibly cop 3 surcharges for the privilege. Pass.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:58 pm

Wokko wrote:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=sponsor

Seconded!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:20 pm

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:16 pm

If meat wasn't meant to be eaten......

......... then why does it taste so good?

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:01 pm

So your real name is the Bloodmeister, then?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: