Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Practice Match #4 - Collingwood vs Bendigo at Victoria Park

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave The Man wrote:
Bendigo is a Joke of a Side

You try running a VFL side on a shoestring budget with only local kids.

Having said that, I think they were semi-decent in the first half. Had a lot of problems getting out of defence and getting inside 50, though. Also a lack of tall timber, but again, getting quality talls for a VFL stand alone side ain't easy pickings...
Brown26 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:18 pm

We had a pretty good quality list in - wouldn't play that list many weeks when the AFL season is in full swing. We needed that result and anything less would have been an indication of our poor showing. They did ok early - a couple of shots missed that they could have got and the score board would have looked a bit better too - but kids can't compete against AFL ready bodies, even if they are a couple of games under done.

- Ben
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:32 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Having said that, I think they were semi-decent in the first half. Had a lot of problems getting out of defence and getting inside 50, though. Also a lack of tall timber, but again, getting quality talls for a VFL stand alone side ain't easy pickings...

Well I don't see them lasting long in the VFL Then

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Funny how Warrick Capper was at the game for the 1st Half

Applied for the position of full forward to release Reid back to defence, but was turned down. 'Culture reasons', apparently... Wink
melliot 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:25 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Well I don't see them lasting long in the VFL Then

It's their 2nd year in the comp! GWS &GCS were no better. Their budget is very tight and can't get the best players in the region. Yet. They are slowly building sponsorship and local support. This a club from scratch. And they don't get hand outs and draft picks like the afl start ups. It will take time.

The Gold are also far more interested in blooding kids for a second crack at afl. A 2nd pathway (the 1st being pioneers) for locals to get to the big league.

They will get stronger as long as the locals get behind them.

Hey I've even pushed for my company to sponsor. Could be hosting in a marque on a night against the Pies.
boofa 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:32 pm

I went to the game today as my step son plays for the Gold, I am a Pie man to the core and was alarmed to see the efforts of some of our " Star " players today. If a Small battling club can make a bunch of well paid professionals look at times ,timid and not committed,then I really worry about our short term prospects.

Bucks was there today and was very visible, however, he had the look of a man with the worry of the world on his shoulders.

We won the game by a considerable margin, but I don't think we can look forward to the future with any great confidence if this is the best that our next in line players can do.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:38 pm

boofa wrote:
I went to the game today as my step son plays for the Gold, I am a Pie man to the core and was alarmed to see the efforts of some of our " Star " players today. If a Small battling club can make a bunch of well paid professionals look at times ,timid and not committed,then I really worry about our short term prospects.

Bucks was there today and was very visible, however, he had the look of a man with the worry of the world on his shoulders.

We won the game by a considerable margin, but I don't think we can look forward to the future with any great confidence if this is the best that our next in line players can do.

Blimey, they won by how much ? And with how much incentive not to get injured against a team of triers who would want to show that they can match it with established AFl players ? I wouldn't read too much into it...

boofa 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:03 pm

The result was not relevant, the lack of intent from Professional Footballers was a concern to me, who is a long time member and lifetime supporter. Just calling it as I see it.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:08 pm

boofa wrote:
The result was not relevant, the lack of intent from Professional Footballers was a concern to me, who is a long time member and lifetime supporter. Just calling it as I see it.

Hi Boofa, which senior players did put in ?

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:19 pm

boofa wrote:

Maybe that was because of the Opposition we played

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:50 pm

Okay, my thoughts...

1. Alex Fasolo
I'm going to go against the grain just a little when I say that I don't think he was our best today, despite gathering a lot of the pill. Played again across the half back line. Got caught for holding the ball after trying to sell just a bit too much candy early in proceedings. Footskills still very classy, that much is obvious. Took some good overhead and intercept marks (still another of his strengths) as well.

Also noticed him laying some nice tackles as well. After being critical of his defensive mindset, it's good to see he is making inroads into becoming, I believe, a more complete footballer. Will definitely be considered for Sydney.

2.Sam Dwyer
As Fasolo will likely be considered for Sydney, Dwyer simply must play against Sydney. Disposal skills were well and truly switched on today. Also continued on from the last fortnight's noticeable improvement in his tackling and pressure game, laying some beauties. Kicked two goals, a decent return.

Simply must play against Sydney. He's ready.

6. Tyson Goldsack
One word - ordinary. Started in defence, but was swung forward later on. Took maybe 1 nice contested grab late in the last quarter, but other than that, I'd honestly struggle to find any other positives from his game. Was chronically underdone vs Freo and will need several more runs at this level before being a serious chance for senior selection again. One of the first out when selecting next Saturday's team for mine.

7. Ben Kennedy
I have no stats to back this up, but to the best of my estimation, I would put Kennedy as our leading possession getter for the day. On raw numbers, he would seem to have been the best on the ground. What takes the gloss off his performance, however, is some seriously questionable disposal. Too many of his kicks were high up-and-unders, particularly when entering the forward 50, while others were just butchered outright.

This is just a tad concerning, when you consider his disposal by foot was one of the reasons Hine was attracted to him as a draft prospect. The fact that he was playing in a match where the pressure is far less than what he would encounter in the seniors is also a little bit of a worry.

His highlight for the game was a nice snap goal in the 3rd term, which in itself was setup by some inspired work at ground level by Dwyer. Still, it highlights Kennedy's ability to finish when around the sticks, which we also lack in the senior side.

It's a 50/50 call on whether he plays up in Sydney, for mine. Might need another go around in the 2s, but his speed was badly missed while in the vest against Freo. If picked next Saturday, just simply needs to start on the ground.

9. Martin Clarke
See Goldsack, except his highlight was a soda goal from a 50m penalty instead of a contested mark. Played across half back, which he just isn't cut out for. If he is to salvage his career he needs to become a full time wingman, or even push forward, and utilise his endurance running, because even with our injury depleted half back stocks, he is just woeful.

11. Jarryd Blair
Another slow start from Blair, becoming more noticeable after half time. If I could sum his game up in a couple of words, it would be 'nothing to write home about'. Highlight was when he channelled some Andy Krakouer and sold some candy to wrong-foot an opponent, before driving home the goal. He's done that now in a couple of these games, which has been nice to see.

Blair's workrate and pressure game are admirable traits, but given our chronic deficiency by foot in the seniors, I really struggle to see how Blair makes us a better side when it comes to capitalising on midfield dominance, apart from maybe injecting a bit of defensive mindset to the midfield rotations. Nevertheless, he is a Buckley favourite, so expect to see him on the plane to Sin City.

21. Quentin Lynch
A bit of a role change, this time playing as our #1 ruck (ala vs Carlscum round 2 of last year, but without the emergency need to do so. Or the emotional pressure). Simply put, he dominated the Bendigo rucks, as well he should against opponents at this level. Didn't just win hitouts, but also bashed and crashed at boundary throw ins and stoppages. Executed some very clever (in some cases borderline brilliant) taps to our mids, some of which set up goals.

Once again his workrate was top notch, competing well when the ball was on the deck and covering the ground really well. Downside was his ball use, which wasn't the best. Still, he was one of our best and still offers a handy 3rd tall/2nd ruck option that can keep Reid back. I'd play him against the Swans.

23. Lachlan Keeffe
Stopped pretty much everything that came his way in the 1st half, again as you'd expect him to do. It was in the 2nd half though that he really stood out, playing as a key forward. Took some really nice marks, both as a leading CHF and as a deep target. Had his kicking radar been on, he could have finished with 3 or 4 goals.

Now, before we all jump up and down, Keeffe played well as a focal point. The problem is, we have a couple of those. It's the 3rd tall/relief ruck that we need to work out, a role which Keeffe sucked at in last year's final. I'm also a proponent of letting Keeffe master the position he's been trained in at CHB before we start trying to craft another swingman.

That being said, he's on the plane to Sydney for mine. And if Tippett lines up, Keeffe gets first crack at him.

24. Josh Thomas
Probably our most consistent player for the day. Certainly played much better than last week. Must have won a big stack of clearances by the end of the day. Was also a threat around the goals from boundary throw ins and stoppages. In these situations, his burst speed can be a killer when roving taps, such as one Lynch put down to him at a boundary throw in.

Got spelled after three quarter time. For mine, probably our best when you factor in consistency over the whole game. He certainly put his hand up and will be hard to overlook for the Sydney game. Might just need the extra week's run at this level.

27. Tony Armstrong
Probably his best game so far for us, which ain't exactly a high bar to clear. Had 3 nice kicks early in the opening term, but sort of trailed off from there and performed in what you might call a 'least bad' manner. Still plays way too loose on his man and this is just not acceptable in a defence that is conceding way too many scores as it is, let alone one which purports to contend for a flag.

31. Jackson Ramsay
I'm a fan of this kid, but he started appallingly, playing too loose and getting outpointed. Gradually tightened up and ended up having a much better 2nd half of the game. Pace and footskills were on better display after half time. Still has a fair way to go in his development, but depending on what happens with Marley, we may have to toss him in as a small defender and see if he can swim.

37. Kyle Martin
I'm a big fan of this kid, and he didn't let me down. Kicked 3 goals in total and executed some lovely kicks. Also took a freakish one-handed mark (right in front of me!) Still has some way to recover full fitness and of course needs to become a better two-way runner, but the kid should in all likelihood be pushing for senior selection at some point this year. Problem is, there aren't any rookie promotions left at the moment. There are a couple of blokes on the list who should be forced aside for him, but the list lodgement rules don't allow for demotions on the grounds of spudliness...

At the very least, he will be dominant at this level when he is not playing seniors.

38. Peter Yagmoor
This kid is possibly the most frustrating player at our club for me. One minute he's got his weapons sharpened and his defensive mindset switched on, the next he's trailing badly and just going with the flow. Had a decent game, in my opinion. His left boot executed some lovely deliveries into the forward arc, which you want to see from him, given the hype over his kicking. He also had a nice passage where he out-bodied his man and killed a marking contest, then followed up straight away at ground level, pouncing to execute a nice tackle on the Bendigo player crumbing the loose ball, which apart from spoiling the odd goal-line ball, is probably the best defensive effort I've seen from him yet. Which in itself says something, but I digress...

Basically, when the kid is on, he's a very handy asset to have coming out of defence and delivering forward of centre, but when he's not, it can be ugly. I just hope he can keep working away at reducing that gap between his best and his worst, but as a third year player, he really needs to be showing more at this stage if he's to get another contract.

48. Caolan Mooney
Continued in his new role down back, and even by the standards of backmen, had a very quiet game. Might have had a bit to do with the limited amount of ball that came his particular way, but anyways. Just needs to keep plugging away at this new small defender's role, even if it's just a learning experience.

Just on a couple of our VFL top-up players...

- I keep praising Jack Hellier every week, and for good reason. Real terrier around the stoppages, but also wins his share of the ball. He's also tidied up his disposal as well, executing a couple of nice forward entries. Integral component of the VFL team's midfield. Have read a rumour that he may have injured his hand. Terrific.

- I really liked Cathal Corr's game as an strong-but-undersized key forward. Good contested marker and usually reliable shot for goal. Had his head bandaged up in the 2nd half, for a knock I never saw. Had a good chemistry with Tim Allan.

- Speaking of the Tool Man, I really like Allan's game as well. Clunked some nice grabs as a key forward and followed up really well when the ball hit the deck. Chipped in with a couple of goals as well. A very handy player to have on the VFL list.

Contest was actually more even than the scoreboard might have suggested at half time, but the blowout was always going to happen. Best part is, we got miles into senior players legs, which with our injury list is just so important as we head towards the Sydney game.

Really enjoyed that day out at the footy. Love going to Victoria Park, especially with the family. I actually look forward to the VFL more than the AFL these days, as sacrilegious as that sounds. But we're one club all the same.

Exhausted. Hope you all enjoyed the call and the reviews.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:07 am

MagpieBat wrote:
Really enjoyed that day out at the footy. Love going to Victoria Park, especially with the family. I actually look forward to the VFL more than the AFL these days, as sacrilegious as that sounds. But we're one club all the same.

one club, two teams. the vfl outing is so much more relaxed. i really hope more supporters get behind us.

i have been to three afl games so far. all at etihad. at each game i was bombarded by music, a countdown, fake sound of the crowd roaring and extortionate food prices. then there's the overzealous 'customer service' people always wanting to tell you where you can and cannot go.

it is becoming less enjoyable to go to afl games now.

think better 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:15 am

MagpieBat wrote:
Okay, my thoughts...

1. Alex Fasolo
I'm going to go against the grain just a little when I say that I don't think he was our best today, despite gathering a lot of the pill. Played again across the half back line. Got caught for holding the ball after trying to sell just a bit too much candy early in proceedings. Footskills still very classy, that much is obvious. Took some good overhead and intercept marks (still another of his strengths) as well.

Also noticed him laying some nice tackles as well. After being critical of his defensive mindset, it's good to see he is making inroads into becoming, I believe, a more complete footballer. Will definitely be considered for Sydney.

2.Sam Dwyer
As Fasolo will likely be considered for Sydney, Dwyer simply must play against Sydney. Disposal skills were well and truly switched on today. Also continued on from the last fortnight's noticeable improvement in his tackling and pressure game, laying some beauties. Kicked two goals, a decent return.

Simply must play against Sydney. He's ready.

6. Tyson Goldsack
One word - ordinary. Started in defence, but was swung forward later on. Took maybe 1 nice contested grab late in the last quarter, but other than that, I'd honestly struggle to find any other positives from his game. Was chronically underdone vs Freo and will need several more runs at this level before being a serious chance for senior selection again. One of the first out when selecting next Saturday's team for mine.

7. Ben Kennedy
I have no stats to back this up, but to the best of my estimation, I would put Kennedy as our leading possession getter for the day. On raw numbers, he would seem to have been the best on the ground. What takes the gloss off his performance, however, is some seriously questionable disposal. Too many of his kicks were high up-and-unders, particularly when entering the forward 50, while others were just butchered outright.

This is just a tad concerning, when you consider his disposal by foot was one of the reasons Hine was attracted to him as a draft prospect. The fact that he was playing in a match where the pressure is far less than what he would encounter in the seniors is also a little bit of a worry.

His highlight for the game was a nice snap goal in the 3rd term, which in itself was setup by some inspired work at ground level by Dwyer. Still, it highlights Kennedy's ability to finish when around the sticks, which we also lack in the senior side.

It's a 50/50 call on whether he plays up in Sydney, for mine. Might need another go around in the 2s, but his speed was badly missed while in the vest against Freo. If picked next Saturday, just simply needs to start on the ground.

9. Martin Clarke
See Goldsack, except his highlight was a soda goal from a 50m penalty instead of a contested mark. Played across half back, which he just isn't cut out for. If he is to salvage his career he needs to become a full time wingman, or even push forward, and utilise his endurance running, because even with our injury depleted half back stocks, he is just woeful.

11. Jarryd Blair
Another slow start from Blair, becoming more noticeable after half time. If I could sum his game up in a couple of words, it would be 'nothing to write home about'. Highlight was when he channelled some Andy Krakouer and sold some candy to wrong-foot an opponent, before driving home the goal. He's done that now in a couple of these games, which has been nice to see.

Blair's workrate and pressure game are admirable traits, but given our chronic deficiency by foot in the seniors, I really struggle to see how Blair makes us a better side when it comes to capitalising on midfield dominance, apart from maybe injecting a bit of defensive mindset to the midfield rotations. Nevertheless, he is a Buckley favourite, so expect to see him on the plane to Sin City.

21. Quentin Lynch
A bit of a role change, this time playing as our #1 ruck (ala vs Carlscum round 2 of last year, but without the emergency need to do so. Or the emotional pressure). Simply put, he dominated the Bendigo rucks, as well he should against opponents at this level. Didn't just win hitouts, but also bashed and crashed at boundary throw ins and stoppages. Executed some very clever (in some cases borderline brilliant) taps to our mids, some of which set up goals.

Once again his workrate was top notch, competing well when the ball was on the deck and covering the ground really well. Downside was his ball use, which wasn't the best. Still, he was one of our best and still offers a handy 3rd tall/2nd ruck option that can keep Reid back. I'd play him against the Swans.

23. Lachlan Keeffe
Stopped pretty much everything that came his way in the 1st half, again as you'd expect him to do. It was in the 2nd half though that he really stood out, playing as a key forward. Took some really nice marks, both as a leading CHF and as a deep target. Had his kicking radar been on, he could have finished with 3 or 4 goals.

Now, before we all jump up and down, Keeffe played well as a focal point. The problem is, we have a couple of those. It's the 3rd tall/relief ruck that we need to work out, a role which Keeffe sucked at in last year's final. I'm also a proponent of letting Keeffe master the position he's been trained in at CHB before we start trying to craft another swingman.

That being said, he's on the plane to Sydney for mine. And if Tippett lines up, Keeffe gets first crack at him.

24. Josh Thomas
Probably our most consistent player for the day. Certainly played much better than last week. Must have won a big stack of clearances by the end of the day. Was also a threat around the goals from boundary throw ins and stoppages. In these situations, his burst speed can be a killer when roving taps, such as one Lynch put down to him at a boundary throw in.

Got spelled after three quarter time. For mine, probably our best when you factor in consistency over the whole game. He certainly put his hand up and will be hard to overlook for the Sydney game. Might just need the extra week's run at this level.

27. Tony Armstrong
Probably his best game so far for us, which ain't exactly a high bar to clear. Had 3 nice kicks early in the opening term, but sort of trailed off from there and performed in what you might call a 'least bad' manner. Still plays way too loose on his man and this is just not acceptable in a defence that is conceding way too many scores as it is, let alone one which purports to contend for a flag.

31. Jackson Ramsay
I'm a fan of this kid, but he started appallingly, playing too loose and getting outpointed. Gradually tightened up and ended up having a much better 2nd half of the game. Pace and footskills were on better display after half time. Still has a fair way to go in his development, but depending on what happens with Marley, we may have to toss him in as a small defender and see if he can swim.

37. Kyle Martin
I'm a big fan of this kid, and he didn't let me down. Kicked 3 goals in total and executed some lovely kicks. Also took a freakish one-handed mark (right in front of me!) Still has some way to recover full fitness and of course needs to become a better two-way runner, but the kid should in all likelihood be pushing for senior selection at some point this year. Problem is, there aren't any rookie promotions left at the moment. There are a couple of blokes on the list who should be forced aside for him, but the list lodgement rules don't allow for demotions on the grounds of spudliness...

At the very least, he will be dominant at this level when he is not playing seniors.

38. Peter Yagmoor
This kid is possibly the most frustrating player at our club for me. One minute he's got his weapons sharpened and his defensive mindset switched on, the next he's trailing badly and just going with the flow. Had a decent game, in my opinion. His left boot executed some lovely deliveries into the forward arc, which you want to see from him, given the hype over his kicking. He also had a nice passage where he out-bodied his man and killed a marking contest, then followed up straight away at ground level, pouncing to execute a nice tackle on the Bendigo player crumbing the loose ball, which apart from spoiling the odd goal-line ball, is probably the best defensive effort I've seen from him yet. Which in itself says something, but I digress...

Basically, when the kid is on, he's a very handy asset to have coming out of defence and delivering forward of centre, but when he's not, it can be ugly. I just hope he can keep working away at reducing that gap between his best and his worst, but as a third year player, he really needs to be showing more at this stage if he's to get another contract.

48. Caolan Mooney
Continued in his new role down back, and even by the standards of backmen, had a very quiet game. Might have had a bit to do with the limited amount of ball that came his particular way, but anyways. Just needs to keep plugging away at this new small defender's role, even if it's just a learning experience.

Just on a couple of our VFL top-up players...

- I keep praising Jack Hellier every week, and for good reason. Real terrier around the stoppages, but also wins his share of the ball. He's also tidied up his disposal as well, executing a couple of nice forward entries. Integral component of the VFL team's midfield. Have read a rumour that he may have injured his hand. Terrific.

- I really liked Cathal Corr's game as an strong-but-undersized key forward. Good contested marker and usually reliable shot for goal. Had his head bandaged up in the 2nd half, for a knock I never saw. Had a good chemistry with Tim Allan.

- Speaking of the Tool Man, I really like Allan's game as well. Clunked some nice grabs as a key forward and followed up really well when the ball hit the deck. Chipped in with a couple of goals as well. A very handy player to have on the VFL list.

Contest was actually more even than the scoreboard might have suggested at half time, but the blowout was always going to happen. Best part is, we got miles into senior players legs, which with our injury list is just so important as we head towards the Sydney game.

Exhausted. Hope you all enjoyed the call and the reviews.

Great summary - do you think Keefe and Reid will be groomed to wax between CHB & CHF depending on who best matches the opposition's CHF or could both play back more often?

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:41 am

thompsoc wrote:

We should only be interested in how the Pie AFL players played.

why? Confused

jessfootball 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks MB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7   

Jump to: