Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Apple v Android.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Apple or Android ?
Apple
38%
 38%  [ 8 ]
Android
47%
 47%  [ 10 ]
Other (please specify)
9%
 9%  [ 2 ]
Ummm What? Did I miss a meeting?
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 21

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he means texts? Comes through on messages, little green box, was just there,didn't download it!
djh 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:39 am
Post subject: Free TextsReply with quote

Apples free texts use the normal phone number, Whatsapp and Viber need special numbers, which is a lot harder.

We have iphones and ipads, as well as an android tablet. The Apple things leave the android for dead.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:46 am
Post subject: Re: Free TextsReply with quote

djh wrote:
Apples free texts use the normal phone number, Whatsapp and Viber need special numbers, which is a lot harder.

We have iphones and ipads, as well as an android tablet. The Apple things leave the android for dead.

eh? you just message using your own number where it is iphone or android.

i use whatsapp to communicate across platforms. it is also very useful if you have a lot of international contacts.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:45 pm

Tannin wrote:
+

As for tablets, I'll get one when I find something a tablet can do that a proper computer can't do better, faster, and easier. So far, I haven't thought of anything, but you never know.

A Laptop has way more grunt obviously, but the tablets have several advantages depending on your usage.

The tablets are lighter, boot up from standby in a second and are far more portable. Leave out all the apps and games and shite and consider it a portable web browser that you can hold in one hand.

I read the newspapers online on mine in the morning, I stopped getting an actual paper a fair while back. I can sit on the dunny in the morning drowning some Carlton supporters while reading the news.

Sit in a pub or cafe having something to eat and check emails, read the news, read an e book, check in in Nicks all with one hand and no table space required.

The built in camera means you can take reasonable quality pics (nothing like a digital SLR of course) of anything not to far away and post them straight to a website or social media site.

Leave it on standby and it will last a few days on a charge if you aren't using it much.

If I'm doing actual work, the PC or Laptop are the way to go no doubt. For convenience , something the size of a skinny paperback that can hold video, music, books and let me surf the web as well as being a games platform, the tablet wins hands down.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:49 pm

What was your impression?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:02 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Tannin wrote:
+

As for tablets, I'll get one when I find something a tablet can do that a proper computer can't do better, faster, and easier. So far, I haven't thought of anything, but you never know.

A Laptop has way more grunt obviously, but the tablets have several advantages depending on your usage.

The tablets are lighter, boot up from standby in a second and are far more portable. Leave out all the apps and games and shite and consider it a portable web browser that you can hold in one hand.

I read the newspapers online on mine in the morning, I stopped getting an actual paper a fair while back. I can sit on the dunny in the morning drowning some Carlton supporters while reading the news.

Sit in a pub or cafe having something to eat and check emails, read the news, read an e book, check in in Nicks all with one hand and no table space required.

The built in camera means you can take reasonable quality pics (nothing like a digital SLR of course) of anything not to far away and post them straight to a website or social media site.

Leave it on standby and it will last a few days on a charge if you aren't using it much.

If I'm doing actual work, the PC or Laptop are the way to go no doubt. For convenience , something the size of a skinny paperback that can hold video, music, books and let me surf the web as well as being a games platform, the tablet wins hands down.

Yep fits in your hand bag, light to carry when on holidays, and great for cooking when you find a good receipe on the net. Super quick. Last thing I touch at night, and first thing I touch in the morning! Apart from the dogs!

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:32 pm

All fair points, Stui. On the other hand, the damn things don't have a bloody keyboard, and so far as I'm concerned that makes them pretty much unusable for anything other than reading, and if I'm going to read anything long enough to be worth mentioning, I'll take a proper book or a at least a decent-sized screen, thank'ee. I quite often go to sit outside over breakfast if it's a nice day, and think that a tablet would be handy just for that - reading the paper and such - but I have a netbook which is every bit as portable and has a remarkably usable keyboard, and the reality is that I've used it exactly twice in the couple of months since I took it home for exactly this purpose. Sometimes I go inside to make more tea and think about taking it outside with me, but I hardly ever do - it's either back to a real computer (inside) or I take the tea back out and read something on actual paper.

The gradual improvement of screens will change that, one day, but it hasn't yet. Once we get good quality reflective light LCD screens - something that has been on the technological horizon for decades now and still not happened - you'll be able to read a tablet in direct sunlight just as easily as you read the Herald-Scum (paper version). But, of course, if they can make a reflective screen (i.e., one that is lit by the light falling on it like a book or a corn flake packet, rather than the light transmitted through it like a computer screen) to go into a tablet, they'll have the same screen on the real thing, with a real keyboard and a real mouse substitute - so chances are, I'll still not want one.

Some other random points. Tablets generally run either IOS or Android (or in some thankfully rare cases Windows Metro) and compared to proper operating systems like Windows or Linux or BSD, these are carp with a capital K. Limited, restrictive, toy-like, and above all, locked in forever to the walled garden of the app store. This is a gross limitation, and one that I won't wear for one minute. With an iPad (or equivalent other-brand object), any program that I buy MUST be distributed through a centralised, American-owned, tax-dodging, censored, spied-on commercial "app store" which not only takes away our right to buy any software we want and create and sell any software we want in any way that we (the buyer and the seller) agree on, it also imposes a massive 30% greed tax on top of it.

I wouldn't piss on the "camera" in a telephone or tablet. Seriously, they are dreadful. I'm not a DSLR snob, not by any means, but I do insist on some basic level of functionality and quality in a camera, and phones don't have it.

Properly set up modern computers with modern software have fantastic battery life and resume from standby just as fast as any tablet. Don't look at your old steam-driven XP laptop, look at (say) a current-model Thinkpad running current-generation software. (Windows 8, once you stop vomiting long enough to discard the appalling new Metro UI and transform it back into the proper computer it always should have been (takes two minutes if you know how) is a good example. Starts up from cold in a few seconds, and from standby in no time at all.)

Oh, and the local storage capacity is way too small. I have 2TB in my Thinkpad (just barely enough!) and 20TB in my desktop. Flash RAM is improving all the time though, so that will come.

Tablets are too big to take to the pub with you. That brings us back to phones. I'll probably get a smart phone one day, when my dumb phone finally expires, but not unless they can do something about the shocking battery life.

I'll tell you what would tempt me: a giant phone/tiny tablet. Something the size of a paperback novel (i.e., just barely pocketable). Yes, they make these now. But it needs to include a real QWERTY keyboard (fold-out, of course), be capable of running a proper operating system, and above all go for a week on a single charge. Show me one of those and I'll pay the asking price without question.

The one reason I might get a smart phone or tablet sooner is that (among other things) I code web sites for people, and it's hard to code up sites that are compatible with phones if you don't have one to test with. (I don't bother with my own personal sites - if you really, really want to look at high-resolution photographs of wildlife on a tiny three inch screen, you can code the damn thing yourself!)

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:34 pm

think positive wrote:
Last thing I touch at night, and first thing I touch in the morning!

Ahh, but you are a girl.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Not a lot of argument with many of your points except the portability. I'd much rather surf the net on a tablet than a laptop and the pinch and zoom feature means easy viewing.

Yeah the lack of a physical keyboard is a downside but it depends on what you're doing. Anything more than a sentence and I get frustrated with the on screen keyboard on a tablet but it's fine for short stuff. I've actually seen people typing documents on an iPad but I think they're insane for more than 1 reason.

Basically, Laptops are more business professional tools and tablets (despite the marketing) are much more personal and recreational.

The good thing about Android BTW is that as an open source system if you're a tech head you can get a phone or tablet and replace the operating system including all the bloatware with vanilla Android and customise it yourself. I have an old Android phone I'm going to do that do one day just to see if I can make it work.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:52 am

Tannin wrote:
think positive wrote:

Ahh, but you are a girl.

wouldn't hubby be jealous?

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:00 am

John Wren wrote:
Tannin wrote:
think positive wrote:

Ahh, but you are a girl.

wouldn't hubby be jealous?

hmmm is this something im supposed to care about?? Shocked

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:04 pm

Oh geez, the hits just keep on coming for Samsung. What a debacle!
Now they have to have gloves & specially insulated boxes to return their bombs... I mean phones.

http://pickle.nine.com.au/2016/10/12/12/04/samsung-galaxy-note-7-return-kit

I'll stick with my iphone thanks.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:05 pm

Pissed off with that, I was looking to upgrade my note 4 to a note 7 at the end of the year and the buggers recall them just because the explode?

I'd take an iPhone as a gift and sell it to someone but no interest in using one.

I'll either get the new Galaxy or look at one of these https://madeby.google.com/phone/

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:18 pm

luvdids wrote:
Oh geez, the hits just keep on coming for Samsung. What a debacle!
Now they have to have gloves & specially insulated boxes to return their bombs... I mean phones.

http://pickle.nine.com.au/2016/10/12/12/04/samsung-galaxy-note-7-return-kit

I'll stick with my iphone thanks.

Yep!
Finally got hubby to change his mind too! So I'll get me a new one, and he can gave my 5!

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Had Apple, went to Android, going straight back to Apple the minute this contract ends. Oh, how many things I took for granted. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: