Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tas AFL bid talk begins again

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:50 pm
Post subject: Tas AFL bid talk begins againReply with quote

It seems some in the local press, and parliament down here believe that Andy D was the man standing in the way of a Tasmanian AFL side and there is a belief the team could be closer to a reality now that he's standing down.

I believe there are a few factors that aren't involving the AFL that have hindered our AFL bid, but maybe the next bid will be better with local football hopefully in a better position.

So will Andy D going change anything? I am not sure...

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to see, but Tassie isn't a strategic market. It was a no brainer to get a 2nd team in each of Sydney and Brisbane/Gold coast area because of the population and also to compete with Rugby.

Problems with Tassie is the size of the economy (not big), population to get TV market share (not big) and the old North South divide which will screw a team before it starts.

The last one is potentially the mos significant, get over that and you never know. Personally I'd bet on an NT team first.

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:54 pm

Just some recent stories from The Mercury on this.

Quote:
GILLON McLachlan is shaping as the man to finally deliver Tasmania its own AFL team.

McLachlan is the hot favourite to replace AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou, who yesterday said he will resign at the end of the season and has long been seen as the main obstacle to Tasmania having a team in the big league.

But McLachlan has helped prepare a report on the future of AFL in Tassie and is understood to be sympathetic to the state’s case.

The report defining the competition’s short-term future in the state, will be tabled after the state election on March 15.

Mr McLachlan is also a close friend of AFL Tasmania chairman Dominic Baker, who is rumoured to also be resigning from his position this season.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch chief economist, Saul Eslake, who worked on the Tasmanian Government’s AFL submission back in 2008, said Demetriou’s demise was only a positive for the state.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/is-gillon-mclachlan-the-man-to-give-tasmania-an-afl-team/story-fnj4f7h7-1226844207664

Quote:
NORTH Melbourne’s two AFL matches in Hobart last year injected $2.11 million into Hobart’s economy, which has Lord Mayor Damon Thomas champing at the bit for more.

He can’t wait for the Kangaroos’ two engagements at Blundstone Arena this season, against St Kilda on July 12 and Adelaide on August 23.

He is especially excited by new hope that Tasmania could get its own team sooner rather than later now that Andrew Demetriou, regarded as the biggest obstacle to the state entering the big time, is leaving the AFL’s top post at the end of the season.

“We’ve got a population that is terribly proud of the fact that we have provided a huge amount of talent into the AFL pool over the years,” Ald Thomas said.

“It is seen as something Tasmania deserves – to have our own team.”

Last year, North Melbourne’s clash with then reigning premier Sydney drew 13,223 fans and for Port Adelaide three weeks later 10,265 fans showed their colours.

Locals, intrastate and interstate travellers gave the Hobart economy a major boost.

“The Hobart City Council has voted with our purse strings to support games here and the impact has been huge,” Ald Thomas said.

“We have financially supported games, together with the Hobart Chamber of Commerce, RACT and TT-Line.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/lord-mayor-backs-tassie-bid-for-team-in-the-afl/story-fnj4f7h7-1226847408162

Quote:
TASMANIA’S next minister for sport should head straight to AFL House in Melbourne after the March 15 election to lobby for a homegrown team, says the head of the state’s peak business group.

Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry chief executive Michael Bailey believes the door has been thrown wide open now that AFL chief Andrew Demetriou, long seen as the biggest obstacle to a Tasmanian team, has said he will retire at the end of the season.

The hot favourite to replace Demetirou, his No. 2 Gillon McLachlan, is seen as far more friendly toward Tasmania.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/afl/no-time-to-waste-on-tassie-afl-team-bid-says-business-chief-michael-bailey/story-fnj4f7h7-1226845481734

ronrat 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Arelocated team would be the only option. North Melbourne could be the one. Perhaps play all their home games against interstate sides there and a few others like Bulldogs and Saints.
The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:32 pm

Western Bulldogs were on the list of clubs AFL Tasmania wanted to play at Bellerive, but AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou rejected Bellerive back in the day. Of course nothing had changed since that rejected and the Roos playing in Tasmania....Considering all the upgrades happened before the first rejection.

St. Kilda tried it in Tasmania, weren't well received they could try Hobart, but not sure that many would care.

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:35 pm

st kilda could end up in nz for all we know and care. stui's summation of the situation is quite accurate.

i would only want to see a team in tassie once the competition has embedded itself in the growth regions. without taking it for granted, tassie will long be an afl state.

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:57 am

Football in Tasmania is dying, needs someone to come along and find a fix soon rather than later. Soccer in this state has gotten their act together and formed a league without any bitching, infighting and threats lies, etc.

Time for someone to take control of AFL Tasmania and quick, because in 10 years there could not be any football left here to worry about.

John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:28 pm

interestingly, tonight nmfc changed their constitution so that a 75% of the members need to approve any relocation or merger.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:18 am

I don't think it was just Andy D. I attended a talk Benny Gale gave to a Footy Almanac lunch back when he was head of the Players' Association. As I'm sure you know Prototype, Gale is a Tasmanian but he defended the AFL decision to go to Western Sydney ahead of Tassie on the basis that every TV set that is likely to be tuned to AFL in Tasmania already is tuned to AFL whereas there are a million TV sets in Western Sydney that could be watching AFL but are not yet.

This appears to be the position of all the opinion makers in the AFL. It is of course bullshit because although there may potentially be two million AFL fans in western Sydney right now most of them are either watching Rugby League or Soccer and they will probably continue to do so in the future. If you take Benny's argument to its logical conclusion instead of the AFL promoting Aussie Rules in Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Ireland and South Africa where there has been a little interest the AFL should promote footy in China where they has been no interest but there are a billion TV sets.

I would love to see an AFL team in Tasmania (so long as it isn't Collingwood) but to get it you will need to change AFL corporate group think and that will require more departures than just Andy D.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:43 am

stui magpie wrote:
It would be nice to see, but Tassie isn't a strategic market. It was a no brainer to get a 2nd team in each of Sydney and Brisbane/Gold coast area because of the population and also to compete with Rugby.

Problems with Tassie is the size of the economy (not big), population to get TV market share (not big) and the old North South divide which will screw a team before it starts.

The last one is potentially the mos significant, get over that and you never know. Personally I'd bet on an NT team first.

Stu agreed with some of th stuff but I'm sure they would pull a crowd equal too or greater than GWS the suns and lions most weekends.
I'm a Queenslander and love seeing my team play here and I'm sure Tasmanians would be equally excited.
I believe take the game to where people love it not try to transplant it into areas that don't want it.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 pm

When they count the official crowd number in Tassie do they consider both heads separately or as one being?
John Wren Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:36 am

Dr Pie wrote:
I don't think it was just Andy D. I attended a talk Benny Gale gave to a Footy Almanac lunch back when he was head of the Players' Association. As I'm sure you know Prototype, Gale is a Tasmanian but he defended the AFL decision to go to Western Sydney ahead of Tassie on the basis that every TV set that is likely to be tuned to AFL in Tasmania already is tuned to AFL whereas there are a million TV sets in Western Sydney that could be watching AFL but are not yet.

This appears to be the position of all the opinion makers in the AFL. It is of course bullshit because although there may potentially be two million AFL fans in western Sydney right now most of them are either watching Rugby League or Soccer and they will probably continue to do so in the future. If you take Benny's argument to its logical conclusion instead of the AFL promoting Aussie Rules in Papua New Guinea, New Zealand, Ireland and South Africa where there has been a little interest the AFL should promote footy in China where they has been no interest but there are a billion TV sets.

I would love to see an AFL team in Tasmania (so long as it isn't Collingwood) but to get it you will need to change AFL corporate group think and that will require more departures than just Andy D.

last night i was speaking to a mate from penrith. he and his mates jumped on the gws from the start. he made a point of saying it was a team that represented his area. i think we'll find that gws will get terrific tv viewership and the crowds will come when they do string a few games together and it is seen as the "in" thing to do in sydney.

The Prototype Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:18 pm

Quote:
An AFL side in Tasmania is back on the lips of many in Tasmania after Andrew Demetriou decided this season was going to be his last. However, it would appear that it's not just local media and Tasmanians that are discussing the potential of an AFL side in Tasmania.

It's been suggested by The Mercury's Sunday Tasmanian that a Tasmanian AFL bid is back on the agenda, the bid is reportedly shrouded in secrecy but local media suggests the bid has been discussed between AFL and AFL Tasmania.

The new bid would see a unified Tasmanian side play in Hobart and Launceston, something the Tasmanian VFL side tried to do. However, failing crowds in both Launceston and later Hobart saw that impossible to maintain.

It's believed also that a report is being prepared that will look at the social and economic impact of an AFL team on Tasmania, it's suggested that the team for all Tasmanians. Tasmania has had many failed bids for an AFL side stretching back to the early 1990s the reason for the failure has always been blamed on the "North-South divide" but the new side would look to embrace every region of Tasmania.

http://thesportsasylum.sportsblog.com/post/630242/tasmanian_afl_side_could_be.html

This is my article, there has been some reports of meetings with AFL HQ about a team in the future, as AFL Tasmania becomes controlled by the AFL.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: