Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Player sanctions for Essendon and Cronulla players imminent

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Member 7167 wrote:
David wrote:
I understand people looking forward to Essendon's day of judgement (particularly in the aftermath of the AFL's trivial sanctions), but I'm still holding out hope that the players will be spared the brunt of this. Hird, Dank, Corcoran et al should get life bans, and I hope they do, but the players are victims here. However many times ASADA trot out the "ignorance is no excuse" line in a dalek-like fashion, it would be fundamentally unfair for the players to be sidelined for a year or more because of the actions of their superiors. It may be naive, but I hope that the AFL choose to flout the ASADA recommendations and cut ties with them rather than accept unjust penalties, whatever the consequences. Rather a lot is at stake here.

I didn't see too much sympathy on Nicks for Saad who consumed a commercially available health drink in ignorance and received a 2 year ban.

In his case for a first offence I felt that a 6 month ban would be punitive. 2 years ????

Now some are happy with a 6 week ban on the Essendon Dopers. Hardly seems fair.

I think Saad was treated harshly too, but I do draw a line between players seeking out supplements independently and being administered substances by the club that 'owns' them.

P4S, I agree that PEDs need to be kept out of sport at all costs. But I think motivation and initiative have to be taken into consideration. The power dynamics here make the Essendon players' situation massively different to that of a tennis player, cyclist or Olympic athlete whose coaches are working for their success alone and can be dumped by the athlete at any moment. These players, on the other hand, were and are treated as cattle—completely disposable and completely at the mercy of the whims of their leaders.

For those who argue "they could have said no", I want to discover exactly what culture of consent/dissent existed at that club. What were the consequences (perceived or otherwise) of flouting a club supplement program? If ASADA is interested in laying down a fair verdict as opposed to just making a point, it should be giving serious consideration to these questions. Nearly everything should hinge on them.

ANNODAM Gemini

Rebel Heart Tour - The Forum, Los Angeles 27/10/2015.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Players who took illegal substances to gain an unfair advantage need a 2 year plus ban, anything else is just bullshit!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:00 pm

David wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
David wrote:
I understand people looking forward to Essendon's day of judgement (particularly in the aftermath of the AFL's trivial sanctions), but I'm still holding out hope that the players will be spared the brunt of this. Hird, Dank, Corcoran et al should get life bans, and I hope they do, but the players are victims here. However many times ASADA trot out the "ignorance is no excuse" line in a dalek-like fashion, it would be fundamentally unfair for the players to be sidelined for a year or more because of the actions of their superiors. It may be naive, but I hope that the AFL choose to flout the ASADA recommendations and cut ties with them rather than accept unjust penalties, whatever the consequences. Rather a lot is at stake here.

I didn't see too much sympathy on Nicks for Saad who consumed a commercially available health drink in ignorance and received a 2 year ban.

In his case for a first offence I felt that a 6 month ban would be punitive. 2 years ????

I think Saad was treated harshly too, but I do draw a line between players seeking out supplements independently and being administered substances by the club that 'owns' them.

P4S, I agree that PEDs need to be kept out of sport at all costs. But I think motivation and initiative have to be taken into consideration. The power dynamics here make the Essendon players' situation massively different to that of a tennis player, cyclist or Olympic athlete whose coaches are working for their success alone and can be dumped by the athlete at any moment. These players, on the other hand, were and are treated as cattle—completely disposable and completely at the mercy of the whims of their leaders.

For those who argue "they could have said no", I want to discover exactly what culture of consent/dissent existed at that club. What were the consequences (perceived or otherwise) of flouting a club supplement program? If ASADA is interested in laying down a fair verdict as opposed to just making a point, it should be giving serious consideration to these questions. Nearly everything should hinge on them.

But some did say no, so that's no excuse

Steve86 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:03 pm

if saad cops a 18 month ban for this

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ahmed-saad-devastated-over-drug-ban-but-vows-to-return-20131203-2yo7s.html

then essendon boys who were going off camp to get these 'injections' regardless of what it was need equal. Its a joke if its not.
Stupied 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:05 pm

think positive wrote:

Yep. Zaharakis said no from memory. And the BS explanation from Mark McVeigh about him being afraid of needles doesn't fly, coz he had been getting dirty great cortisone injections in his shoulder the season before.
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:45 am

If 14 year old Chinese female swimmers are expected to know what they can and cannot take than 20+ yo professional footballers with access to ALFPA, the internet, managers, ASADA have no excuse.

Remember every year all players from all clubs must undergo mandatory anti PED courses.

jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:43 pm

David wrote:
Member 7167 wrote:
David wrote:

Zaharakis has said he declined the program because he hates needles. Had no impact on him getting games. I appreciate there are different power relationships depending on the quality of the player and importance to the team but the lack of any negative outcome in his case tends to support that players ultimately were free to execute choice in this.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:47 pm

Steve86 wrote:
if saad cops a 18 month ban for this

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/ahmed-saad-devastated-over-drug-ban-but-vows-to-return-20131203-2yo7s.html

then essendon boys who were going off camp to get these 'injections' regardless of what it was need equal. Its a joke if its not.

There are some interesting shades of grey related to both these scenarios. Saad actually tested positive to a banned substance, and even though the particular supplement is allowed for use in the off season, it is still banned during the season. Not 1 Essendon player that we're aware of has tested positive for a banned substance and that has to be a mitigating factor.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 pm

Being a veteran of sorts and a regular fixture in the 22, I think Zaharakis was in a position of some privilege here, as you acknowledge; and his teammates may not have been in a position to foresee that his (or their) refusal to take part in the program wouldn't have negative repercussions. Of course, there were even more senior players who assented, so it's tricky. But I think these dynamics do need to be considered very seriously.

Last edited by David on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:51 pm

Stupied wrote:
think positive wrote:

Yep. Zaharakis said no from memory. And the BS explanation from Mark McVeigh about him being afraid of needles doesn't fly, coz he had been getting dirty great cortisone injections in his shoulder the season before.

It's a long bow to suggest because he's had injections in the past that that completely discounts his stated extreme dislike/phobia of injections.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:40 pm

David wrote:
Being a veteran of sorts and a regular fixture in the 22, I think Zaharakis was in a position of some privilege here, as you acknowledge; and his teammates may not have been in a position to foresee that his (or their) refusal to take part in the program wouldn't have negative repercussions. Of course, there were even more senior players who assented, so it's tricky. But I think these dynamics do need to be considered very seriously.

Jobe Watson.

Why didn't he talk to his dad? Seriously. I really want to know.

Stupied 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:47 pm

jackcass wrote:
Stupied wrote:
think positive wrote:

It's a long bow to suggest because he's had injections in the past that that completely discounts his stated extreme dislike/phobia of injections.

Have you ever had a cortisone injection? Trust me, if you were scared of needles, there's no way you would get one. They're like the granddaddy of all injections Confused
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:50 pm

Hehe your right, I had them in my back after falling from a horse, they come with an anesthetic guaranteed to wear off in half an hour, and then the real pain hits!
collie dog 

RIP Shelby 11-10-13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:07 pm

I'll believe it when I see it.
Big T 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:51 am

Member 7167 wrote:
David wrote:

As I recall it was a prize for best on ground from the VFL or associated lower league? Total joke, he should have got off and the league should have been charged.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Other AFL All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: