Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pies will need to pay up if want Moore

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:22 pm
Post subject: Pies will need to pay up if want MooreReply with quote

Excerpts from an article in the Herald Sun on Darcy Moore

RIVAL clubs will force Collingwood to pay top price to snare the son of club legend Peter Moore in November’s national draft.

Darcy Moore, 18, a power forward, has been declared a top five prospect in a draft pool rich with key-position talent.

The Magpies are yet to commit to 203cm Moore but one Melbourne-based club yesterday rated the Oakleigh Chargers tyro a top five pick.

But talent experts believe he now could be the best tall prospect in the country.

Moore has missed two AIS/AFL Academy camps but any hope the Magpies had of him flying under the radar should evaporate at this year’s national carnival, where he will play for Vic Metro. A strong showing would almost certainly create a bidding war and force the Magpies to hand over their first-round selection for him.

But his arrival at Collingwood could complete a dazzling spine comprising Travis Cloke, Ben Reid, Brodie Grundy and Nathan Brown.

Moore’s father, who played 172 games for Collingwood between 1974-82 and won the Brownlow Medal in 1979, yesterday said his son’s preference was to play for the Pies, if he was deemed good enough.

“It’s up to him but he wants to play there. He’s always barracked for them. But I think he’d play anywhere,” Peter Moore told the Herald Sun.

“But the father-son is not a certainty. It just depends on how they rate him and where he fits in their thinking. But he looks like he’ll be a player, so we’ll see.

“He’s taller than me — he’s 6ft 8in and 94kg — so he’s a fairly big unit. He’s a forward who plays a bit of ruck. And he plays at centre half-back as well.

“I think they all rate him, but who knows? But we’d be very pleased to see him go to Collingwood. I guess they’ll assess him and make a decision.”

Vic Metro high performance manager Anton Grbac said yesterday: “He may go father-son, depending on where Collingwood finishes, but he would be in that (first-round) discussion.

“On the ground he is fiercely competitive. He can mark the ball, read the play, his skills are very sound and he can play at both ends.

“Clubs look for those prototypical mobile forwards and he really is that.

“Last year’s draft was a midfielder’s draft. This year will be the flip side. Of the top 10 or 12 (players picked), don’t be surprised if there is five or six players 196-198cm standing on the stage.”

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:55 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

203cm! Shocked

If we get him, we will then have 4 players over 202cm (Grundy, Witts and Keeffe the other 3).

It'll be land of the giants at Olympic Park in 2015!

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:08 am

He'll need to show something this year to be worthy of our first selection would he not?

Has struggled the previous couple with injury and form with his stats from the U18's far from mind blowing.

Is he playing TAC cup?

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:15 am

swoop42 wrote:
He'll need to show something this year to be worthy of our first selection would he not?

Has struggled the previous couple with injury and form with his stats from the U18's far from mind blowing.

Is he playing TAC cup?

Underwent hip surgery in 2013. Not surprised his numbers were shot.

But yes, he'll be playing for Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC Cup this year.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:53 am

Be very interesting to see how he goes in 2014.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:47 am

MagpieBat wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

Is he playing TAC cup?

Underwent hip surgery in 2013. Not surprised his numbers were shot.

But yes, he'll be playing for Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC Cup this year.

How about 2012?

I know he was very promising at U16 level but was that in 2012 or 2011?

I thought he's had a lean couple of years in terms of performance not just the one.

Anyway how does this bidding system work again.

Let's say our first pick was going to be No.8 in this years draft if a team that finished above us bid pick No.10 would that mean we would still have to use our first rounder or because there selection came after ours we would only have to use our second rounder?

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:35 pm

swoop42 wrote:
How about 2012?

I know he was very promising at U16 level but was that in 2012 or 2011?

I thought he's had a lean couple of years in terms of performance not just the one.

Anyway how does this bidding system work again.

Let's say our first pick was going to be No.8 in this years draft if a team that finished above us bid pick No.10 would that mean we would still have to use our first rounder or because there selection came after ours we would only have to use our second rounder?

On the bidding system, the Friday before the bidding meeting, the club has to nominate the pick it intends to use on him. So, for example, if Dekka only thought Darcy was worth a 2nd rounder, he would nominate pick 25.

The following Monday, when all the clubs sit down together, they go in reverse ladder order, offering each of the other 17 clubs the chance to bid over Collingwood's nominated pick.

If, say, Essendon bid their first round pick (say pick 10 in your example), then Collingwood has to either then use its next available pick (eg pick #Cool if they still want Darcy on the list, or pass, in which case he becomes a Bomber.

It should be noted that Father-Son nomination and bidding comes BEFORE the trade/free agency weeks. If Dekka has his eyes on someone to use that 1st rounder on (say a mature-age ruckman to help out Grundy) or some other whizz bang kid in the draft, then he either has to commit to Darcy if pushed, or find another 1st rounder through trading out a player(s).

As for Moore's performances at Under 16 level, that now-famous video which we've all seen 100 times was shot in 2012, where he made selection for Vic Metro and reportedly tore it up. So I'd say that, if his Under 16s form in 2012 was anything to go by, then 2013 was just a crummy aberration of a year and that he should be getting back to something approaching 1st rounder form in 2014.

Hope that answers your questions.

EDIT: Correction, if no side before our 1st pick bids their own 1st rounder, then the process repeats with our 2nd round pick.

This article on the Luke McDonald situation explains it... http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-10-04/mcdonald-officially-nominated-
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:59 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
203cm! Shocked

If we get him, we will then have 4 players over 202cm (Grundy, Witts and Keeffe the other 3).

It was land of the giants in 2012 when apart from Witts and Keeffe, we also had Shae, Ceglar and Wood 203cm + and Jolly at 200.

I suppose if you want to count the munchkins at 199cm you could throw in Hudson and Gault to the current mix.

I'm excited at the prospect of having a 203cm CHB (Keefe) and CHF (Moore) and hopefully a 199cm HFF in Gault all running round. Very Happy

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:21 pm

stui magpie wrote:
MagpieBat wrote:
203cm! Shocked

It was land of the giants in 2012 when apart from Witts and Keeffe, we also had Shae, Ceglar and Wood 203cm + and Jolly at 200.

I suppose if you want to count the munchkins at 199cm you could throw in Hudson and Gault to the current mix.

I'm excited at the prospect of having a 203cm CHB (Keefe) and CHF (Moore) and hopefully a 199cm HFF in Gault all running round. Very Happy

Yeah, but unlike in 2012, these giants won't be deadest useless, especially when the ball hits the deck...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The Draft & Trade Moot (DTM) forum All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: