Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

These sickos should be banned from schools

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

What'sinaname wrote:
Funny,

Marley makes a mistake, and he should be forgiven and allowed to play.

Access ministries make a mistake and they should be BANNED.

I guess Evonne Paddison isn't that important to our backline.

Access Ministries are a mistake.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:29 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Funny,

This ain't no spur of the moment mistake.

This is a deliberate, orchestrated, cold hard, calculated, organized set of actions by a group of people attempting to alter the thinking and beliefs of minors.

How you can ever draw such a comparison is beyond any level of rational thought.
Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:36 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Funny,

Victorian Government Education is supposed to be free, compulsory and secular (Education Act 1873) Both Labor and Liberal governments have allowed themselves to be intimidated by a fundamentalist religious lobby which only represents a minority of voters. If parents want their children receive religious propaganda they should (a) provide it at home. (b) Send their children to church/synagogue/mosque run weekend schools (Sunday Schools) (c) Send their children to private schools run by religious organisations. But do not use my taxes to conduct indoctrination in government schools.

laird 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Dr Pie wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Funny,

Victorian Government Education is supposed to be free, compulsory and secular (Education Act 1873) Both Labor and Liberal governments have allowed themselves to be intimidated by a fundamentalist religious lobby which only represents a minority of voters. If parents want their children receive religious propaganda they should (a) provide it at home. (b) Send their children to church/synagogue/mosque run weekend schools (Sunday Schools) (c) Send their children to private schools run by religious organisations. But do not use my taxes to conduct indoctrination in government schools.

Correct.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:41 pm

Dr Pie wrote:

Absolutely Dr Pie, got it in one (paragraph)

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:38 pm

"In a statement, chief executive Evonne Paddison said: "This year there was a huge rush for the Bibles and, for reasons we do not yet understand, it seems as though 15 copies of Refuel 2 were handed out. Students were asked to return them on the day . . . Our agreed curriculum teaches the basic beliefs of the Christian faith and does not stray into areas of sexuality at all. We are extremely disappointed that this has occurred and will continue to investigate how it happened."

Torquay College principal Pam Kinsman said it was "really concerning" the material had been distributed and she had asked Access Ministries for an explanation and had received an apology. "We have a strong focus on diversity and respect at our school and as soon as the content of the text was brought to my attention, I immediately said that book will never be distributed again to our students," she said."

Sounds like a mistake to me. If they have a habit of distributing Biblezine, then that's another matter, but if they distribute the bible, and in this one instance, 15 Biblezine's got through, then that's a mistake.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:53 pm

Why are they distributing the Bible to children anyway? What gives them the right to inflict their sicko beliefs on children in a public school? Sure, rightly or wrongly, they are allowed to indoctrinate their own children with whatever misguided rubbish they wish. (Probably rightly: yes it's hard on their kids, but I can't see any real alternative short of draconian supression which is pretty much never a good idea for any society.) But they have no right to inflict religious propaganda on other people's children. Ban the bastards. They can do what they like inside their own church (and pay normal taxes on it like everyone else), and they also have the right to set up their own schools - sad as that might be for any child who dreams of having a mind of her own. but they don't have the right to pollute other people's children. It's time these weirdos were banned from public schools, and the same for any others like them.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:56 pm

Tannin wrote:
Why are they distributing the Bible to children anyway? What gives them the right to inflict their sicko beliefs on children in a public school? Sure, rightly or wrongly, they are allowed to indoctrinate their own children with whatever misguided rubbish they wish. (Probably rightly: yes it's hard on their kids, but I can't see any real alternative short of draconian supression which is pretty much never a good idea for any society.) But they have no right to inflict religious propaganda on other people's children. Ban the bastards. They can do what they like inside their own church (and pay normal taxes on it like everyone else), and they also have the right to set up their own schools - sad as that might be for any child who dreams of having a mind of her own. but they don't have the right to pollute other people's children. It's time these weirdos were banned from public schools, and the same for any others like them.

Access ministries have a history of apologizing after making so called mistakes. In QLD and or NSW they have overstepped the mark by proselytizing in secular classrooms & been caught out before. Their mistakes seem to be a habit or a pattern or a design.

Perhaps a not so intelligent design.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:48 am

Tannin wrote:

Exactly. It's unbelievable that this could be happening in this day and age.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:36 am

And not before time:

Quote:

Victorian schools will scrap special religious instruction from class time, with changes to the state's curriculum throwing the future of the controversial program in doubt.

The Andrews government has ordered that the weekly 30 minute program move to lunchtime and before and after school in 2016 to make way for new content on world histories, cultures, faiths and ethics.

Classes that address domestic violence and respectful relationships will also become compulsory for all prep to year 10 students from 2016.

The state government said students were missing out on essential learning while SRI took place.

"Extracurricular programs should not interfere with class time when teachers and students should be focused on the core curriculum," the government said in a statement.

The decision to axe SRI from the curriculum has been met with fierce opposition by chaplaincy organisation Access Ministries, the main provider of religious instruction.

The organisation's chief executive, Dawn Penney, said the government failed to consult SRI providers and nearly 30,000 Victorian parents about its decision.

Ms Penney was seeking "urgent discussions" with Education Minister James Merlino on Thursday about the changes, which could deter families from the program.

"The decision contradicts a clear statement made prior to the last state election that the government would support SRI."

Mr Merlino said qualified teachers would deliver the new faith and ethics content.

"This new content helps all school students, regardless of their background or faith, to understand the world around them and the ideas and values that shape that world," he said.

Lara Wood, a spokeswoman for Fairness in Religions in School, a group that has spent the past four years campaigning against SRI, claimed victory. "We won, we got what we wanted."

She said religious instruction providers were proselytising in primary schools while students missed out on learning.

Australian Education Union Victorian president Meredith Peace, another opponent of SRI, welcomed the announcement, saying state schools should be secular.

"We didn't believe SRI was consistent with that."

She said students who did not opt in to the SRI lessons were sent to the library or sat in corridors.

SRI providers have battled to keep primary school students in the program after the state government changed its policy in 2011, requiring parents to "opt in" to the classes rather than "opt out".

Enrolments fell from 92,808 Victorian students in 2013 to 53,361 a 42 per cent plunge.

The inclusion of respectful relationships education into the curriculum coincides with the Royal Commission into Family Violence.

It follows a pilot that ran in 30 Victorian schools, and will focus on challenging attitudes and behaviours that can lead to violence against women.

Prevention of Family Violence Minister Fiona Richardson said that new focus on respectful relationships in schools would help address gender stereotypes and discrimination.

"Respectful relationships education is key to combating prejudice and preventing violence we're including it in the curriculum so that every Victorian school teaches students these important skills and content."

Domestic Violence Victoria chief executive Fiona McCormack applauded the government for incorporating domestic violence prevention into the curriculum.

"The time has come, we've got to start intervening earlier, and educating children at a young age about respectful relationships," she said.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/religious-instruction-scrapped-from-curriculum-20150820-gj425e.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:29 am

Good riddance.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:43 am

Such vitriole!
I'd rather applaud the inclusion of the inclusion of domestic violence prevention classes.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:04 am

That's probably just another form of religious indoctrination.

Do kids actually need to be taught that when they grow up they shouldn't punch their partners or do we just need to treat it much more seriously when they do?

It strikes me that it's an exercise in deflection, just like the royal commission on the same subject.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:22 am

Sounds like more progressive indoctrination to me.
luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:24 am

Mum took me out of primary school religious instruction straight after I went home & said I couldn't wait to die.... Our RE teacher was telling us what happens when you die, I asked if you could fly and they said yes, of course, you can do many things, she made it sound so wonderful! Rolling Eyes

Let parents decide what drivel they feed their kids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: