Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Discussing non-Collingwood-related football matters

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:30 pm
Post subject: Discussing non-Collingwood-related football mattersReply with quote

Hi mods,

I'm a little confused about this, and I'm sure I'm not the only one: where should we be posting football topics that aren't Collingwood related? Two very strictly AFL-related non-Collingwood topics were moved to the Victoria Park Tavern today, while we have another ongoing topic in General Discussion about gay footballers that has little to do with Collingwood and at times little to do with football. Two regular non-Collingwood threads, the "other matches" topic and my own "form ladder" topic, have always been posted in General Discussion without being moved. Are there any strict guidelines here? Which forum should I be using if I wish to discuss matters regarding another club or football in general?

General Discussion has generally been a place to discuss all football-related issues (and that's how it is described on the main page), although I understand that some would prefer that it be kept for topics relating to Collingwood only. Is there any way of establishing a consistent rule on this? If it is decided that other football topics be moved, wouldn't the Sports Bar be a more appropriate place than the VPT (which is generally used for politics, arts & entertainment and uncategorised discussion)? Is there any way of gauging what the Nick's community would prefer on this? Lastly, is it possible that there is a discrepancy between what functions these forums were originally intended to perform and what they've become?

Would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:53 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

was going to post this question myself.

VPT isn't footy related. GD is for all football related topics. Even if they aren't collingwood.

General Discussion
Use this forum for footy topics that don't relate specifically to any of the other forums. For non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar and for non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Victoria Park Tavern
Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport. Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.[/b]

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:31 pm

I was a tad confused when I saw some of the Brisbane threads in the VPT. Confused
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:30 pm

we all know who it is, but he never listens.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:14 pm

Woods Of Ypres wrote:
we all know who it is, but he never listens.

There's more than one mod around, perhaps they could have a meeting?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:15 pm

Meetings solve everything.

I hate meetings.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:37 pm

Good to see that this is being raised on the General Feedback section of the forum. I feel like the amount of non-Collingwood discussion has increased slightly in recent times and the mods and posters in general are finding it confusing on where the ideal area is to post about issues such as 'Brisbane' for example.

I've noticed on other club forums that most of these forums have a section of a forum that is dedicated to just issues relating to their club and then another section of the forum is devoted to other AFL discussion which doesn't relate to their club specifically.

I would assume the admins consisting of Mike and Nick would have to set up another section of the forum that can be used as a way to discuss AFL-related matter that doesn't involve Collingwood if this idea of setting up another forum is approved.

At the end of the day it's just an idea I suggest but as we speak I think it's quite good as it is already. Maybe we just need some clarification on where non-Collingwood AFL posts should be posted by the mods if anything. Overall 90% of General Discussion topics are about Collingwood so I think this issue doesn't matter to be honest in the overall scheme of things.

Another idea is maybe setting up a non-Collingwood discussion thread in the General Discussion section of the forum so it's easier for posters to post their thoughts on issues relating to the AFL that don't involve Collingwood so to speak.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:41 am

Jezza wrote:
At the end of the day it's just an idea I suggest but as we speak I think it's quite good as it is already. Maybe we just need some clarification on where non-Collingwood AFL posts should be posted by the mods if anything. Overall 90% of General Discussion topics are about Collingwood so I think this issue doesn't matter to be honest in the overall scheme of things.

This is my thought too. Most of the discussion in GD will naturally involve Collingwood, so a minority of threads about other clubs shouldn't be a problem. That's just my opinion, though. Would be good to hear other views on this (and particularly those of the moderators).

John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:05 pm

compared to some of the other rubbish that gets posted some of the non-collingwood threads are a breath of fresh air. i get that this is a "one eyed" pies board but it is possible to have a good discussion/debate about what is going on with other teams.

i'd like to see another forum set up for non pies talk.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:27 am

and now the Dale Thomas thread has been moved there.

This is just ridiculous! Mods...... all of them, not just one of them, please can you respond to this? please tell us what does and does not go in GD and VPT, because according to the information for each forum type FOOTY DOES NOT BELONG IN VPT

again I quote:

Quote:
Victoria Park Tavern
Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport. Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.[/b]

So, why is this whole board being ruined.

Might as well move all the cricket and soccer crap into VPT as well!

WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:13 am

Sorry all - we missed your feedback.

Yes - GD is for Collingwood related matters only. This is a Collingwood forum, and not an AFL forum.

Within that, there obviously needs to be some discretion and flexibility We did have a "Other Games" thread last year to cope with people who want to discuss games other than ours.

We are considering a new "Other AFL" forum but are conscious of the additional workload.

There are some matters, like that of the Gay Pride Parade, that are harder to call. It broadly applies to all AFL players, but it will specifically apply to Collingwood. For no better reason than 'the feel of the thing', we will tend to leave that in GD.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:42 am

Mind you - I had forgotten about the Sports Bar forum.

I should have moved those threads there - not VPT.

Mea culpa.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:49 am

thanks for responding WPW. It IS appreciated.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:08 am

Cheers WPW.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:35 pm

Thanks for the response WPW Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: