Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Discussion on the RC into ALP...err...union corruption.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:18 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Tannin wrote:
I thought watt price tully wrote:
I was starting to feel depressed after the cricket & footy but The Mad Misogynist Miners Monk drunk with power before his last election ...

I saw what you did there Wink

Mark Dreyfus puts it succinctly:

"....Dreyfus described the proposed attendance at a Liberal party fundraiser as an “extraordinary error of judgment” that would call into question any findings that would ultimately be made by the royal commission.

“He should resign because by his own actions he has created the appearance of bias, and discredited and compromised every single further action by this royal commission, and if he does not resign he should be sacked by this government,” Dreyfus said."

From the Guardian online.

The most incisive part of anything Mark says is his sonorous voice.

The real pretence here is that commissions royal with any political dimension to them (and that's almost all of them) might ever be anything other than apparently biased, discredited and compromised. In that respect, they tend to be a little like war crimes tribunals - they only ever look in one direction.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:34 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
How about we hold a royal commission into them? Perhaps we could appoint Dreyfus as commissioner?

Not the Dreyfus affair?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:20 pm

How hard is it to hire an independent person to conduct a royal commission into the activities of the union movement in Australia?

The Liberals just come off looking like idiots if they didn't appear to be already.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:07 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Tannin wrote:
I was starting to feel depressed after the cricket & footy but The Mad Misogynist Miners Monk drunk with power before his last election ...

"....Dreyfus described the proposed attendance at a Liberal party fundraiser as an “extraordinary error of judgment” that would call into question any findings that would ultimately be made by the royal commission.

“He should resign because by his own actions he has created the appearance of bias, and discredited and compromised every single further action by this royal commission, and if he does not resign he should be sacked by this government,” Dreyfus said."

The most incisive part of anything Mark says is his sonorous voice.

The real pretence here is that commissions royal with any political dimension to them (and that's almost all of them) might ever be anything other than apparently biased, discredited and compromised. In that respect, they tend to be a little like war crimes tribunals - they only ever look in one direction.

It's just so "nice" when the covert becomes overt.

The Mad Misogynist Monk called the RC commissioner "an honourable man". I believe him.

The honourable man just needs to the honourable thing.

3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Jezza wrote:
How hard is it to hire an independent person to conduct a royal commission into the activities of the union movement in Australia?
The Liberals just come off looking like idiots if they didn't appear to be already.

How hard is it to get an unbiased Royal Commission?
The Government didn't want an unbiased tribunal so they employed Minter Ellison.
The Attorney General Mark Brandis worked for before he entered Federal Government politics.
Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Minter Ellison has received almost $8 million for its work for the federal government on the inquiry into trade union corruption.
The royal commission was extended to run until December 2015, and will cost taxpayers $50.4 million.
The government defended the appointment of the firm, saying Attorney-General George Brandis, a former Minter employee, had no influence on the decision.
The federal government said Minter Ellison was engaged under a limited tender procurement, after being identified as suitable by Commissioner Dyson Heydon and counsel assisting the inquiry Jeremy Stoljar, SC.

http://www.afr.com/business/legal/royal-commission-a-boon-for-minter-ellison-20150224-13nruw#ixzz3im2TDOsM
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:47 pm

3.14159 wrote:
The Government didn't want an unbiased tribunal so they employed Minter Ellison.
The Attorney General Mark Brandis worked for before he entered Federal Government politics.
Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Minter Ellison has received almost $8 million for its work for the federal government on the inquiry into trade union corruption.
The royal commission was extended to run until December 2015, and will cost taxpayers $50.4 million.
The government defended the appointment of the firm, saying Attorney-General George Brandis, a former Minter employee, had no influence on the decision.
The federal government said Minter Ellison was engaged under a limited tender procurement, after being identified as suitable by Commissioner Dyson Heydon and counsel assisting the inquiry Jeremy Stoljar, SC.

http://www.afr.com/business/legal/royal-commission-a-boon-for-minter-ellison-20150224-13nruw#ixzz3im2TDOsM

It would be amusing if the Liberal party member, the barrister who invited the biased Judge on Liberal letter-head to the Liberal Party fundraiser was from the same firm.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:29 am

Jezza wrote:

Sometimes I feel rather sad for sensible, intelligent right-wing people like Jezza. It must be incredibly frustrating to see the representatives of your side of politics acting like such greedy, scheming tools and - worse! - not even (so far as anyone can tell) having enough awareness or moral honesty to recognise their own unfitness for office.

Then I look at prominent self-serving traitors to the left wing like Kevin Rudd and Martin Ferguson and Bruce Hawker and I remember that greedy tools are readily found on both sides of the house.

On the other hand, there are some good people to be found in the the Parliamentary Labor Party, and quite a few others who are nonentities but at least not actually bad people - perhaps about half of the total if we try not to be too harsh on them. Then I go looking for their equivalents in the Liberal Party: the honest time-servers, and the reasonably intelligent and above all else decent ones ... and I can't find even one. Perhaps there is one. Perhaps there are as many as three or four, but if so they are keeping very, very low profile. So I go back to feeling sad for honest right-wingers like Jezza. It must be bloody hard not having anyone you can honestly admire

(PS: I'm not a Labor man. Never have been. I generally give my preferences to Labor before the Liberals, but not always. I always used to vote Democrat before Meg Lees killed the party with her notorious betrayal. These days I'm probably closer to the Greens than any other large party, but have major disagreements with them over several things and certainly wouldn't count myself as a rusted on supporter. They do at least seem to be universally honest and thoughtful (so far as their parliamentary representatives are concerned), as are several of the independents, including one or two with very different views to mine. Madigan, for example, the ex-DLP chap, is more conservative than the Liberal Party and many of his views are anathema to me, but he is an honest and decent man. His type is impossible to find in the Liberal Party these days, and pretty hard to find in Labor.)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:13 am

Jezza wrote:

I was going to say just as hard as hiring an independent person to conduct Royal Commission into business. But hand on, there hasn't been one.

It's so re-assuring to know private industry is so above corruption & wrongdoing, especially in the building industry.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:40 am

3.14159 wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Quote:

Look, provided that the appointment processes have been appropriate, there's not much merit in getting excited about links between the particular firm appointed to do the work and the politicians. Minters has had a particular focus on mid-ranking government work of this kind (and has been on State and Federal solicitors panels for many years under both sets of lizards) and they likely got the gig because they were price-competitive, as well as being undoubtedly competent. There are all sorts of questions one might well ask about the cost of the exercise and so on but I don't think that the answers to any of those questions are particularly problematic in the present circumstances.

Plainly, Minters was capable of doing the required work - it isn't like Brandis' aunty has been given the gig - and it is a mistake to look at the solicitors for evidence of bias. The bias in these things is typically in the terms of reference, which are - of course - set by the executive government, in the particular things that a commissioner decides to focus upon and in the way counsel-assisting goes about her or his job.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:56 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Look, provided that the appointment processes have been appropriate, there's not much merit in getting excited about links between the particular firm appointed to do the work and the politicians. Minters has had a particular focus on mid-ranking government work of this kind (and has been on State and Federal solicitors panels for many years under both sets of lizards) and they likely got the gig because they were price-competitive, as well as being undoubtedly competent.There are all sorts of questions one might well ask about the cost of the exercise and so on but I don't think that the answers to any of those questions are particularly problematic in the present circumstances.

Plainly, Minters was capable of doing the required work - it isn't like Brandis' aunty has been given the gig - and it is a mistake to look at the solicitors for evidence of bias. The bias in these things is typically in the terms of reference, which are - of course - set by the executive government, in the particular things that a commissioner decides to focus upon and in the way counsel-assisting goes about her or his job.

The cost and the choice of law firm is, as you say, a side issue.
The worrying thing about this Royal Fishing Commission is what it says about the democratic process in this country.
I all ways thought Australia was a stand-up society where you argue with those you disagree with.
What Abbott is doing is reminiscent of Stalin and Mao's and their infamous show trials.
As an Australian I thought we were better than that!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:46 pm

Well, commissions royal have ever been used thus. Yes, it's political, but they almost always are. Once every quarter-century or so, a useful one gets to the bottom of a difficult problem and the exception that proves the rule is then used for the next quarter-century or so to justify hideous, unfair, nasty political witch-hunts. Although this is the nastiest recent example, the sad truth is that both sides of politics do it, when they can.
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:30 pm

^ Well yes, but it's misleading to say that. There is indeed almost always some element of political scheming involved in an royal commission, but the Abbott government has gone way beyond the usual and expected mild cheating and habitually grosses out on it to the point where the commissions themselves are barely better than very expensive comedies.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:34 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Tannin wrote:

I prefer Richard Dreyfuss.

Looks like the Libs are gonna need a new boat.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:44 pm

That is some inspired MS Paintbrush-ing. Laughing
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:46 pm

Oops. Too much data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15   

Jump to: