Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Discussion on the RC into ALP...err...union corruption.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much more.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:27 pm

1061 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
1061 wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
I spoke to the manager and he found another tech who was a union member to go and do the job.

Was that so hard and why can I ask wasn't that checked in the first place?

Ummmm because it's illegal to discriminate on grounds of union affiliation? The tech should have been allowed on site. Period. Whether or not he was a union member should have been (legally) totally $Ł$%^%%$ irrelevant.

Also, the manager didn't know (or care) which of the employees were union members, which is as it should be.

If you can't see the problem in that story you are part of the problem.

Don't get me wrong I see the issue but I also see a person(manager) more interested in conflict with the union than getting the job done.

I'm not sure how you get to that.

The manager sent someone to the site having no idea (and less care) whether he was a union member or not.

Under the law as it was then and today, union membership is irrelevant. There were no legitimate grounds to stop the tech going in, which was why the bloke on the gate resorted to using H&S as his fallback, which for a construction employee is as low as it gets.

OH&S is a serious business, particularly on a building site. To use it as an industrial tool cheapens and weakens the whole message and is the act of utter cnuts IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:38 pm

You wanna join the game you play by the rules Wink

The world is not a fair place Mr Stui.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:38 pm

stui magpie wrote:

OH&S is a serious business, particularly on a building site. To use it as an industrial tool cheapens and weakens the whole message and is the act of utter cnuts IMO.

Thing is every time I've heard of a political shut down it's OH&S that is used as the excuse. Kind of like yelling "Fire" in a crowded shopping center.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:06 pm

^^^ Well, it's now considered unacceptable in some quarters to tar and feather the scabs. A good skimmity-ride would sort these non-union types out - but until they become fashionable again, perhaps OH&S will have to do....

Anyway, letting scabs onto your site is a first step to getting a jolly good rogering from the bosses, so it probably is a health and safety issue.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:22 pm

^

There's some thinking straight from 1950's England.

CP 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:08 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

There's some thinking straight from 1950's England.

Sadly, more like 1990's-current day Australia.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:55 pm

1061 wrote:

Not meaning to get into this argument as I have very little direct experience with unions (although it's interesting to read the back-and-forth), but I do have a problem with the argument expressed above — even though it's one I've used myself in the past! One should, of course, be aware of what unions have achieved and realise that it took some long battles to achieve these rights, but the problem with the graphic is that it fails to tell us what unions are going to give us now and into the future.

The main criticism offered by anti-union types is that unions are no longer relevant. These people may well acknowledge and even be genuinely grateful for their achievements, but think that their goals are now complete. Compare anti-feminist women who are nonetheless appreciative of their right to vote, equal pay and free marriage: they simply feel that the game has been won.

I guess the pro-union argument ought to be not "if you don't agree with unions now, you should cede your historical union-won rights", but "we are still relevant because there are still battles to be fought". I think PTID makes a solid case for the latter. As for me, I'm all for reform, but wonder if a politicised royal commission is necessary to achieve that.

CP 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:19 pm

3.14159 wrote:
CP wrote:

What makes you think 'the workers' don't want to stamp out union corruption?

Murdoch guilty of guilty of phone hacking and bribery of police-officers.
1/2 the LNP guilty of taking a public expense paid romp at a Bollywood wedding (and at the behest of the worlds richest woman) while dishing out compo to the rich via the paid parental leave scheme.

It can't spare $25 mill to save SPC or $50mill to save Holden despite the economic sense (and the loss of face as an international manufacturer) but it can spend $100 million on political pay-back in an tightly policed industry?
(It takes 2 to tango, lets see who's been paying these bribes and take from there!
You think "the workers" care about crap like RCs? Laughing
What they want is jobs to go to, not vague promises of "when 1 door closes, another one opens" (from some-one who's never had one in his life!)
Rolling Eyes

On the same day Bill Shorten was told to appear at the RC into Union Corruption for trading away worker's rights for union payola, Tony Abbott's government oversaw ANOTHER drop in the unemployment rate.

Check and Mate.

Cool

P.S. Did you read the thread in relation Cesar Melhem stepping down as ALP whip?

Me either... Rolling Eyes
David Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:21 pm

How wonderful would it be if Shorten could get pinged for dodgy dealings as a unionist. Make it happen, Tony.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:51 pm

CP wrote:
3.14159 wrote:
CP wrote:

What makes you think 'the workers' don't want to stamp out union corruption?

Murdoch guilty of guilty of phone hacking and bribery of police-officers.
1/2 the LNP guilty of taking a public expense paid romp at a Bollywood wedding (and at the behest of the worlds richest woman) while dishing out compo to the rich via the paid parental leave scheme.

It can't spare $25 mill to save SPC or $50mill to save Holden despite the economic sense (and the loss of face as an international manufacturer) but it can spend $100 million on political pay-back in an tightly policed industry?
(It takes 2 to tango, lets see who's been paying these bribes and take from there!
You think "the workers" care about crap like RCs? Laughing
What they want is jobs to go to, not vague promises of "when 1 door closes, another one opens" (from some-one who's never had one in his life!)
Rolling Eyes

On the same day Bill Shorten was told to appear at the RC into Union Corruption for trading away worker's rights for union payola, Tony Abbott's government oversaw ANOTHER drop in the unemployment rate.

Check and Mate.

Cool

P.S. Did you read the thread in relation Cesar Melhem stepping down as ALP whip?

Me either... Rolling Eyes

There's help for being premature.

Did you read the thread about the Royal Commission and Julia Gillard: many allegations & trying as hard as they could there was nothing, niente, not a sausage, bugger all.

Meanwhile the homeless with whom I work have had their funding cut, services to the mentally ill via NGO's & GO's with whom I work have had their funding cut, dental schemes for the poor , women's refuges have had their funding cut by the nasty knobs (The Mad Misogynist Monk et al) who have put gazilions into political witch-hunts for cheap opportunistic point scoring.

As usual you have nothing to offer.

Now go & troll somewhere else.

Last edited by watt price tully on Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:00 pm

David wrote:
How wonderful would it be if Shorten could get pinged for dodgy dealings as a unionist. Make it happen, Tony.

You & CP -share many similarities I can see Rolling Eyes

Oh the youth of today. If Stui has a chip on his shoulder about Unions CP owns the potato farm, he makes TBF look reasonable Wink

David Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Yeah, CP and I are old chums going way back. Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:09 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

You & CP -share many similarities I can see Rolling Eyes

Oh the youth of today. If Stui has a chip on his shoulder about Unions CP owns the potato farm, he makes TBF look reasonable Wink

Really? You and I need to have a chat one time at the VFL. You can call it a chip on my shoulder, I prefer to say i'm not ideologically blinkered and anchored to the past like some. Wink

David Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:17 pm

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of unions either. I see them as a necessary evil, albeit one that has achieved some hugely important victories for workers in the past. To some extent, they still stand as the only major bastion of power against neo-liberal, anti-worker policies, but that's only one aspect of what they do and what they stand for (the rest is pretty ugly).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 5 of 15   

Jump to: