Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Discussion on the RC into ALP...err...union corruption.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the royal commission into the corruption of the mining industry, both at home and abroad?

The extremely dangerous and damaging thuggery of Abbott's biggest sponsors gives the unions an almost saintly glow.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:01 pm

pietillidie wrote:
Where's the royal commission into the corruption of the mining industry, both at home and abroad?

The extremely dangerous and damaging thuggery of Abbott's biggest sponsors gives the unions an almost saintly glow.

Very good question. They are investigating the wrong mob.

Any responses from the righties here??

Hello?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:56 pm

Lazza wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Hello?

I don't consider myself a rightie but I'll play along.

Where the recent public examples of corruption in the mining industry that warrant an investigation? I must have missed them in the media (unlike all the examples of union corruption), so I'd appreciate someone directing me to the appropriate articles.

Thanks in advance.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Why must you missed them in the media unlike all the examples of union corruption so he or she'd appreciate someone directing him or her to the appropriate articles?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:09 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Lazza wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Hello?

I don't consider myself a rightie but I'll play along.

Where the recent public examples of corruption in the mining industry that warrant an investigation? I must have missed them in the media (unlike all the examples of union corruption), so I'd appreciate someone directing me to the appropriate articles.

Thanks in advance.

Would this be the same right wing Media who misled the Australian Public as too how the Australian Economy was going in order to get your poster boy into the Prime Minister's seat?

I wont hold my breath waiting for them to expose the corruption in big business deals ..... thanks from a lowly lefty.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:15 pm

^

So you're calling out for an investigation into corruption that you believe exists but there is no evidence in the public domain to support that?

Surely there's left wing investigative news sources that could confirm your theory?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

So you're calling out for an investigation into corruption that you believe exists but there is no evidence in the public domain to support that?

Surely there's left wing investigative news sources that could confirm your theory?

Lets face it the LNP is not about to take any notice of anyone jumping up and down about their business mates. Why do you think the LNP are pushing for the east west tunnel rather than going for the original plan of Bulleen to Greensborough .... alleged shares in the companies building and tolling the ting.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:10 pm

^

Translation, you got nothing, you're just supporting ptiddy having a sook.

Come back when you have some facts to support you.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:11 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Where have you been for the past couple of years? There are corruption findings and claims all over the place (and on both sides of the aisle), it's just that the Murdoch media has no interest in telling you about them:

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-27/cracking-down-on-corrupt-mining-industry-deals

http://www.smh.com.au/business/australian-firms-exposed-to-corruption-risks-by-presence-in-briberyprone-countries-20131203-2yoog.html

http://www.crikey.com.au/2013/07/10/no-exemptions-bribes-are-bribes-from-murdoch-to-african-miners/?wpmp_switcher=mobile&wpmp_tp=1

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/hunter-valley-mine-recommendation-to-approve-expansion-referred-to-independent-commission-against-corruption-20131217-2zjlg.html

http://www.mondaq.com/australia/x/274646/Mining/ICAC+recommends+significant+changes+to+NSWs+management+of+coal+resources

And that's just the tip of the iceberg—imagine what millions of dollars in PR and favours have covered up.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 pm

^

2 out of 5 are in Australia and they are unfounded at this stage.

I repeat, got any facts?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:34 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

2 out of 5 are in Australia and they are unfounded at this stage.

I repeat, got any facts?

I thought I saw Australian capital and companies involved in all of them. Please check again (will do myself, too).

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:36 pm

Unless I'm mistaken, all references are relevant to Australian entities.

And this one: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-30/mining-licences-cancelled-by-nsw-parliament/5228628

Please check again.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:48 pm

Lazza wrote:
pietillidie wrote:

Hello?

The mining companies pay their employees, the Unions take from them. A mining company risks its capital in exploration and licensing and then invests in the necessary assets to extract resources. Have a look at all the miners that go out of business. A union is running a glorified protection racket that produces nothing, but relies on members to fund them, great chunks of this money goes to the ALP for political favours, this isn't money that was made by the union, but was extorted from members who are often only members because they can't work otherwise. Where Unions do good work is supporting workers against bad businesses, OH&S and in collective negotiation of wages. The thuggery, violence and stamping all over freedom of association is where they lose me.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:28 am

^Actually, this might surprise you, but I hate the bastards. I work for myself in the wilds of the global market, and hate any constraints on what I do, most of all constraints handed down by some overgeneralising bureaucratic organisation.

But you have to balance your personal aversion with empirical reality. Real wages track both the rise and fall of union participation, hence I place them in the necessary evil column.

As ever, I reckon Keating had it right when he said something like the problem isn't unions, it's that the bastards don't do their jobs very well.

In a non-free market where capital, power and plain old dumb national borders cause distortions, you have no choice but to counter power. It's the old necessary force argument; you have to stop the teenager stealing your car, but you don't have to pull a shotgun out and blow his head off (unless you're in Texas). In this instance, you have to stop the bastards amassing power at the top, imaging they're indispensible society creators who deserve more than the immoral peasants, and driving wages below that necessary to sustain a decent society and healthy, meaningful life. But you don't have to become a Stalinist in order to maintain that balance.

Opposing unions per se is ultimately either a case of outright support for unfettered elite authority and power, or a blind fundamentalism based on an imaginary free market that doesn't exist.

The rational thing to do is accept the necessity of the bastards and try to reform them for the better without neutering the critical counter force to elite power they provide.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:49 am

pietillidie wrote:
^Actually, this might surprise you, but I hate the bastards. I work for myself in the wilds of the global market, and hate any constraints on what I do, most of all constraints handed down by some overgeneralising bureaucratic organisation.

But you have to balance your personal aversion with empirical reality. Real wages track both the rise and fall of union participation, hence I place them in the necessary evil column.

As ever, I reckon Keating had it right when he said something like the problem isn't unions, it's that the bastards don't do their jobs very well.

In a non-free market where capital, power and plain old dumb national borders cause distortions, you have no choice but to counter power. It's the old necessary force argument; you have to stop the teenager stealing your car, but you don't have to pull a shotgun out and blow his head off (unless you're in Texas). In this instance, you have to stop the bastards amassing power at the top, imaging they're indispensible society creators who deserve more than the immoral peasants, and driving wages below that necessary to sustain a decent society and healthy, meaningful life. But you don't have to become a Stalinist in order to maintain that balance.

Opposing unions per se is ultimately either a case of outright support for unfettered elite authority and power, or a blind fundamentalism based on an imaginary free market that doesn't exist.

The rational thing to do is accept the necessity of the bastards and try to reform them for the better without neutering the critical counter force to elite power they provide.

A post where I agree with pretty much everything you say. Write down the date Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15   

Jump to: