Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Discussion on the RC into ALP...err...union corruption.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Did you actually read the definition you quoted ? My statement was clearly credible when taken literally, and meant as such. It was thus - per your definition - not hyperbole at all. "The match against Hawthorn was a slaughter" is hyperbole. Comparing an Australian RC to the work of Freisler or Vyshinky is hyperbole (though i am not sure the OP realised it, which is why I damned it as such).

It doesnt really matter, but it's unusual to quote a definition that refutes your point and claim vindication from it.

Mea culpa Embarassed

The point I'm trying to make is that both you & Stui have misrepresented the allegations of corruption by making the generalisation that all unions are corrupt by use of the word "many" and the use of the term "union movement". That is far too sweeping, is a distortion & an exaggeration.

On the other hand, both yourself & Stui seem to think that business is all OK except for the odd bit of misbehaviour.

Then you use the word ideological to another point of view without any embarrassment. We are all ideological..... Comrade.

You're ascribing intent to my posts that I never said or intended. You may choose to interpret "Many" as intended to mean all, but if I meant All I would have said All rather than Many which isn't the same thing. Don't pin your biases on me. Comrade.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:26 pm

No. Don't pin your biases on Stui, WPT. He has plenty of his own.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:35 pm

Absolutely I do, as does everyone. I just recognise mine, I don't need others inventing or exaggerating them for me.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:44 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Absolutely I do, as does everyone. I just recognise mine, I don't need others inventing or exaggerating them for me.

Things were going swimmingly till the bolded bit. It's the language thing: you recognize the biases you recognize. It's impossible for anybody to recognize all their biases.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:55 pm

Maybe, but I've got a damn sight better handle on what my personal biases are than people who make their decisions on what they think my biases are based on what I choose to write on a bulletin board.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Some food for thought:

http://m.theage.com.au/comment/pub-tests-worthless-as-gauge-of--real-peoples-views-20150902-gjdy8y.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:33 am

David wrote:
Some food for thought:

http://m.theage.com.au/comment/pub-tests-worthless-as-gauge-of--real-peoples-views-20150902-gjdy8y.html

Great article. Read it when earlier today. Waleed was on Radio National last night talking about it. At the same time the article doesn't go through the legal reasoning of the case at hand.

Some lawyers were arguing that basically the learned judge sliced the ham too thin - in so doing he also omitted other aspects to examine. That is, what he chose to look at was quite brilliant in terms of the legal mind & legal reasoning & was incredibly thorough but the learned judge also missed some things & made assumptions. The conclusion being it should go to court, not through the Senate or GG.

As an aside & having said that Radio National is a national treasure, such a great station. Listening to Lucky Oceans last night was great fun, used to listen to him back in the early 90's when I lived in the bush

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:38 am

Couldn't agree more - Radio National is a great advertisement for government-funded media. If IPA types and many Liberals had their way, we'd have another Kyle and Jackie O commercial channel instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15   

Jump to: