Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Discussion on the RC into ALP...err...union corruption.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

CP wrote:
Lazza wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
The bigger picture is not the malevolence of The Mad Misogynist Monk here but the bigger picture of repercussions on national scene.

In order to get at Rudd he's got the inquiry into pink bats.

In order to get to Gillard he's got the inquiry in to the ASU or what ever

In order to get to Shorten he's got the mega expensive Royal commission.

This is US style payback

Tis will set up a dangerous precedent. The next incoming ALP government will end up doing the same.

Eg

1. There will need to be a Royal Commission into the secretive nature of the Navy's actions & the Government's inaction over claims of torture or corporal punishment being meted out to a few asylum seekers (so far);
2. There wil need to be an inquiry into the governments Barrier Reef environmental protection (or lack thereof);
3. There will need to be an inquiry into the funding of miners & their cosy relations with the LNP...

Get the drift. This will be a likely consequence of this shabby type of opportunist politics.

Mind you this is only after 5 moths in power. The mad Monks greed is too short sighted here (then again, isn't all greed)?.

As usual the CP's of this world can't see past their narrow self interest to see what is in Australia's long term interests.

It is the "born to rule" right winged mentality of the CP's of this country who are playing very short sighted political games. Big business and the Minining companies ae NOT snow flaked angels as you all want to believe! The long run will bring out many corrupt deals that go on behind closed doors. Game on.
The Coalition are behind in the polls just 5 months after a massive win. This type of vile attacks against the mere workers and their representatives will not win them too many non right winged friends amoing te swinging voters who decide elections. It will hit them right in the face and one termer Abbott will be the main bloody cause of all this turmoil. Twisted Evil Watch, wait and see!!

What makes you think 'the workers' don't want to stamp out union corruption?

Your thinking is strange. It's THEIR money being used to feather the nests of already RICH union bosses, politicians and standover merchants!

And they're forced to pay. That is extortion my friend.

If anything, this is the most pro-worker announcement of any gov't in the past 10 years.

Most workers I know are in "good" unions that are not being investigated. However you would have to be a real Carlton fan like fool not to realise that there will be huge collateral damage to ALL unions as a result of this. It will lead to policy changes around industrial relations and work choices. You only have to read Andrew Bolt's forum for 3-4 days to glean the right winged views and thinking about unions and the manic desire to weaken them. How is THIS going to benefit workers?

I agree that there is a smell of corruption in some unions but I also say that there is a smell of corruption in some big business organisations and within the mining industry, especially the links between them and the right wing parties.

The day THEY are fully investigated, THAT would be the most pro-worker announcement of any government in the past 20 years! But there is a far greater chance of Melbourne winning an AFL flag this season than a right winged Coalition government doing that.... Rolling Eyes
CP 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:42 pm

That's twice you've seen fit to snipe me now.

I stopped reading thereafter.

What is it with the left and the need to abuse as a form of debate? Once you resort to name-calling, you've already lost.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:51 pm

CP wrote:
That's twice you've seen fit to snipe me now.

I stopped reading thereafter.

What is it with the left and the need to abuse as a form of debate? Once you resort to name-calling, you've already lost.

Oh diddums, where did I specifically abuse you CP? Evidence? Quote me please? I have been posting here since 2003 and not once have I been pulled up for abuse by anyone. I dont intend to start now, plus I'd much rather properly debate an issue than get into the gutter. However, I'm really and deeply passionate on this issue and totally believe in what I say. If you cant debate me properly, thats OK but please dont use the cop out tactic of accusing me of abusing you. You must be a better man than that Gunga din.
By all means agree to disagree with me but dont falsely accuse me Rolling Eyes
CP 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Snipes more so than abuse.

In one post you alluded to a 'born to rule' mentality and how I'm short-sighted. In the next you referred to me being a 'Carlton fan like fool'. Just because we don't see this the same way, doesn't mean that you're right and I'm wrong, therefore foolish.

You talk of 'proper debate' but hide behind 'deep passion' as an excuse to belittle just because you see your opinion as the only opinion.

I'm happy to debate, but can we lose the condescending nonsense? It's grandstanding in an attempt to play to the crowd.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:02 pm

CP wrote:
Snipes more so than abuse.

In one post you alluded to a 'born to rule' mentality and how I'm short-sighted. In the next you referred to me being a 'Carlton fan like fool'. Just because we don't see this the same way, doesn't mean that you're right and I'm wrong, therefore foolish.

You talk of 'proper debate' but hide behind 'deep passion' as an excuse to belittle just because you see your opinion as the only opinion.

I'm happy to debate, but can we lose the condescending nonsense? It's grandstanding in an attempt to play to the crowd.

Well, happy to debate that treating the problem by attacking only one side of a sick body is pretty damn stupid in my view, treat the entire body. Ying and Yang, you cant just accuse ONE side of corruption while the other side is left unscathed. By all means investigate the unions (as some of them certainly deserve to be investigated) however I also think that likewise, some of the big businesses and mining organisations have the same need to be investigated for corruption and white collar crime that mainly goes unreported.

And what I said at the start of this debate is that this union only investigation crap is a very dangerous precedent, as when inevitably the governments change, the left will go flat out with revenge motives to hurt and embarrass the big companies as they usually have very long memories of vilification, victimisation and bullying tactics from the rich and powerful elements of our society.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:28 pm

When they fight for worker safety and a fair wage in a collective negotiation then I'm all for the Union movement. I'd also be happy if someone wants to sign a union brokered agreement they either pay some kind of fee, join the union or individually negotiate. Where I hate the unions is the whole "no ticket no start" mentality or holding employers hostage and risking the livelihood of their members for frivolous perks or power plays. Not sure if it was in this thread, but an article from the boss of Boral complaining about intimidation from the union because they deal with Grocon is an example, secondary strikes are nothing but industrial terrorism.

Links between Unions and the Mafia in the USA were common place, I'm glad that a government, even if it's agenda based, is going to stamp on that immediately. Shorten was actually the one who received the info in the first place and handed it straight to police and appears to be backing Abbott so far.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:48 pm

I'v been a union member all my working life including when I was in senior management.

I want my union to contribute, hopefully continue contributing to the ALP.

I like the no ticket no start rule in terms of Unionists having paid for conditions of employment etc with their union dues, paid for the union to represent them not just in terms of OHS but for fairer wages as well. That others do not join the union yet accrue benefits fought for does piss me off

The fact that some unions had links with organised crime does not speak to all working men & women. It speaks to a very low percentage.

What I don't like are the employees who enjoy the benefits that unionism has brought but don't contribute a zac.

I like the no ticket no start idea as it assists a workforce to bargain with an employer. Employers have power, collective workers have some power & individual workers have little if any power. Of course this varies from workplace to workplace but for the majority of workers who don't earn too much.

That CP & his comrades want low paid workers to lose their penalty rtes, that he & the Libs want say hospitality workers & other low pid workers such as retail assistants to lose penalty rates speaks a lot of how caring for orders they really are.

Building workers work in one of the mist dangerous workplaces imaginable - I have a sister in law by marriage who lost her husband to faulty workplace where the owners / builders were negligent. However under Jeff Kennett she was entitled to SFA, nothing happened of any consequence o the said company.

What we do know so far is that Abbott & Abetz have lied about SPC workers & their conditions. This is fact, even their own backbenchers acknowledge this as fact as do the owners of SPC.

Hopefully the appointed judge turns out to be more independent than his reputation for being a Liberal party stooge suggests.

We really should have a RC into big business & their links to the government. This current witch-hunt will serve to increase the probability of this happening when the opposition gets voted in - when the pendulum turns as it does.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:07 pm

watt price tully wrote:
What I don't like are the employees who enjoy the benefits that unionism has brought but don't contribute a zac.

This has annoyed the crap out of me for years. Especially the fools who are quick to criticise the unions at a drop of a hat but happily grab all the union led/bled benefits.... Evil or Very Mad

watt price tully wrote:
We really should have a RC into big business & their links to the government. This current witch-hunt will serve to increase the probability of this happening when the opposition gets voted in - when the pendulum turns as it does.

Exactly what I have said in previous posts. It beggars belief that the Coalition would only look at just one side of a complicated and complex issue without being one bit interested in the other, arguably more important side. Stupid but hey, it is from a right winged government so it is to be fully expected. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:58 pm

I wonder how many in middle management would have their XR6's and other benefits without what the unions have put in place over many many years.
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:16 pm

CP wrote:

What makes you think 'the workers' don't want to stamp out union corruption?

Murdoch guilty of guilty of phone hacking and bribery of police-officers.
1/2 the LNP guilty of taking a public expense paid romp at a Bollywood wedding (and at the behest of the worlds richest woman) while dishing out compo to the rich via the paid parental leave scheme.

It can't spare $25 mill to save SPC or $50mill to save Holden despite the economic sense (and the loss of face as an international manufacturer) but it can spend $100 million on political pay-back in an tightly policed industry?
(It takes 2 to tango, lets see who's been paying these bribes and take from there!
You think "the workers" care about crap like RCs? Laughing
What they want is jobs to go to, not vague promises of "when 1 door closes, another one opens" (from some-one who's never had one in his life!)
Rolling Eyes
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:19 pm

I don't think about the workers care about crap like RCs .
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:58 pm

CP wrote:
Clean them out, install new laws and guidelines, start again.

This shouldn't be seen as the 'end of unions'. It worries me that people think that unions can only exist when they're militant, violent and lawless.

Plenty of decent unions out there that genuinely assist people unable/incapable of interpreting their working rights. This is not unlike the debate where people argue against CCTV in public places; if you're not breaking the law, you have nothing to worry about.

Keep the construction union charter to genuine OH&S concerns and not much more than that. The rest is a complete nonsense that causes massive inflationary pressure on Australians for the sake of ridiculous penalty rates, concessions, RDOs, standover tactics, kickbacks, control, thuggery, BBQ days, etc, etc, etc...

They've been taking the piss for far too long.

I agree with this, although I'd put a caveat in that it's not so much the unions as the people in power in them.

I've met and dealt with all types of union reps. I'm happy to say that there are plenty of seriously hard working people who are in it for the right reasons, ideology not withstanding. Unfortunately most of these are in the front line. The powerful elected positions tend to attract wannabe politicians. Again, there's plenty of these people who are diligent hard working people who genuinely want to do the right thing, then there's those who treat it as their personal play thing and a means to a (political) end, appoint people into senior roles based on relationships rather than experience or expertise, pay themselves high wages and play politics while utterly ignoring wht they're there for.

And then there's the CFMEU. Bigger bunch of outright thugs and bullies you'd struggle to find. Obviously the bible according to Norm Gallagher is their doctrine.

So I fully support giving the union industry (because that's what it is, a business industry) a good hard look and a decent enema. Flush out the crooks and wannabe politicians and make them adhere to some transparent standards like other not for profit organisations.

Just a couple of comments on other posts:

The idea that this is purely a payback against Shorten is a conspiracy theory of the highest order IMO. Investigating the Batts disaster is a must because it was an absolute schemozzle from the time it left concept stage.

Also, advocating for "no ticket no start" is a little behind the times as it's been illegal under freedom of association laws since 1996, and so it should be. Modern Awards set by the Fair Work commission underpin jobs now, not union negotiated awards, the National Employment Standards is a legislated set of minimum conditions of employment. Unions are involved in collectively negotiating enterprise agreements for larger corporations, while other people are on common law contracts which they negotiate themselves, underpinned by the legislation and modern awards.

Yeah, the union movement won a lot of those conditions originally, by using international precedent and leveraging off work done elsewhere (along with creating artificial labour shortages but that's a different argument. Well, done to them. That was then, this is now (S.E Hinton. Good book btw)
Peter Daicos kicked 13 goals in round 20 1991, but he's not still in the side is he?

CP 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:47 am

stui magpie wrote:
CP wrote:
Clean them out, install new laws and guidelines, start again.

This shouldn't be seen as the 'end of unions'. It worries me that people think that unions can only exist when they're militant, violent and lawless.

Plenty of decent unions out there that genuinely assist people unable/incapable of interpreting their working rights. This is not unlike the debate where people argue against CCTV in public places; if you're not breaking the law, you have nothing to worry about.

Keep the construction union charter to genuine OH&S concerns and not much more than that. The rest is a complete nonsense that causes massive inflationary pressure on Australians for the sake of ridiculous penalty rates, concessions, RDOs, standover tactics, kickbacks, control, thuggery, BBQ days, etc, etc, etc...

They've been taking the piss for far too long.

I agree with this, although I'd put a caveat in that it's not so much the unions as the people in power in them.

I've met and dealt with all types of union reps. I'm happy to say that there are plenty of seriously hard working people who are in it for the right reasons, ideology not withstanding. Unfortunately most of these are in the front line. The powerful elected positions tend to attract wannabe politicians. Again, there's plenty of these people who are diligent hard working people who genuinely want to do the right thing, then there's those who treat it as their personal play thing and a means to a (political) end, appoint people into senior roles based on relationships rather than experience or expertise, pay themselves high wages and play politics while utterly ignoring wht they're there for.

And then there's the CFMEU. Bigger bunch of outright thugs and bullies you'd struggle to find. Obviously the bible according to Norm Gallagher is their doctrine.

So I fully support giving the union industry (because that's what it is, a business industry) a good hard look and a decent enema. Flush out the crooks and wannabe politicians and make them adhere to some transparent standards like other not for profit organisations.

Just a couple of comments on other posts:

The idea that this is purely a payback against Shorten is a conspiracy theory of the highest order IMO. Investigating the Batts disaster is a must because it was an absolute schemozzle from the time it left concept stage.

Also, advocating for "no ticket no start" is a little behind the times as it's been illegal under freedom of association laws since 1996, and so it should be. Modern Awards set by the Fair Work commission underpin jobs now, not union negotiated awards, the National Employment Standards is a legislated set of minimum conditions of employment. Unions are involved in collectively negotiating enterprise agreements for larger corporations, while other people are on common law contracts which they negotiate themselves, underpinned by the legislation and modern awards.

Yeah, the union movement won a lot of those conditions originally, by using international precedent and leveraging off work done elsewhere (along with creating artificial labour shortages but that's a different argument. Well, done to them. That was then, this is now (S.E Hinton. Good book btw)
Peter Daicos kicked 13 goals in round 20 1991, but he's not still in the side is he?

Great post.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:13 am

Except, of course, that the issuing of letters patent for a royal commission is always a political exercise. In almost every case, such commissions are established as part of a concerted political strategy. Don't misunderstand the position, there may or may not be corruption of any significant or relevant kind (but there probably is - there's almost always identifiably corrupt conduct in any large organisation, corporation or affiliation if you look closely enough) - but the purpose of having a hunt for it in this one is a purely political one.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:23 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Except, of course, that the issuing of letters patent for a royal commission is always a political exercise. In almost every case, such commissions are established as part of a concerted political strategy. Don't misunderstand the position, there may or may not be corruption of any significant or relevant kind (but there probably is - there's almost always identifiably corrupt conduct in any large organisation, corporation or affiliation if you look closely enough) - but the purpose of having a hunt for it in this one is a purely political one.

Exactly my main point. If it wasn't a conniving political whichunt, they would be fair in investing the entire part of the process, not just the half which happens to be the unions.... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 2 of 15   

Jump to: